Page 1 of 3
I figured what better place to post something to get criticism and a true answer.

According to everybody, a bassist who uses a pick is the worst thing that has ever happened. So, what do you think about it is what I'm asking I guess.
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert...
different strokes for different folks imo
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Chris Squire.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
It's just a different style of playing. It's not any worse, just a preference and awareness of the style of music you play. I do it sometimes.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
1 - wrong thread
2 - i play bass with pick, its just fine.
3 - 9/11 is the worst thing that has ever happened. nobody will forget the day the first guy got aids.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
David Ellefson and Jason Newstedt are/were awesome bassists imo they play/played with picks. You can make the bass sound awesome.

Most people say that you have to play with fingers or you suck. I don't get it.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I dont care really, I use a pick myself and slap bass is just boring to me
Its simple really:

show me yours, and I'll show you MINE
If you're in a thrash metal band, you're gonna need the pick for the attack and speed

If you're in a funk band, you'll want to use your fingers for slapping and a generally softer sound

They both work
A fingerpicker is definatly more versatile and can do much more technical stuff on a bass but a pick sounds sharper, good for punk/rock etc.
Quote by sour cake
I dont care really, I use a pick myself and slap bass is just boring to me

O.O
Quote by McTodd
1 - wrong thread
3 - 9/11 is the worst thing that has ever happened. nobody will forget the day the first guy got aids.

...Fail..
Quote by McTodd

3 - 9/11 is the worst thing that has ever happened.

False.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by McTodd

3 - 9/11 is the worst thing that has ever happened.

That's an incredibly stupid thing to say.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by McTodd
1 - wrong thread
3 - 9/11 is the worst thing that has happened in the WTC recently. nobody will forget the day the first guy got aids.

fixed - much worse than 9/11 has happened in this world my friend.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Gene Simmons plays with a pick, and he has more money and more girls that you do.
well okay its not what I'd listen to then.

but its like guitar solo's, I really dont care about them and dont like it when songs are referenced mainly for them.
Its simple really:

show me yours, and I'll show you MINE
There's nothing wrong with it. Alderette uses a pick quite a bit I believe.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I can only play slower basslines with my fingers. If I wasn't born with a deformed right hand I'd play bass without a pick..but alas.
i slap, tap, fingerstyle, and use a pick. and i gotta say the tone i get on my p bass with a pick is almost sexually exciting.
Phil Lynott - what a seriously great bass sound - a lot is down the pick.

More sounds the better i say.

It's like those people that say capos are for losers and beginners - they know nothing.
Quote by mattizfatt
I figured what better place to post something to get criticism and a true answer.

According to everybody, a bassist who uses a pick is the worst thing that has ever happened. So, what do you think about it is what I'm asking I guess.

Phil Lynott = Best Bass Player Ever.

He used a pick.
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Quote by dark&broken
Justin Chancellor.

Fools better shut up now.

yeah. i'm not a bass player but what is wrong using a pick? it is music anyway and music should be fun, so....
Quote by McTodd
1 - wrong thread

3 - More Oxygen now..
There's nothing wrong with using a pick, depending on the style of music. In my opinion, picks should rarely be used by bass players in some genres such as jazz, blues, and reggae. Other genres such as punk and hardcore often sound good with a bass picker. Playing with your fingers gives a smoother sound and in my opinion is easier. Playing with a pick gives a sharper sound, and enables some bassists to play faster.

I rarely use picks when I play bass, but there's nothing wrong with playing with one.
i say do whatever you feel makes you a better player

however,

(IMO) as a bassist myself i am more favourable to bassists that use their fingers, as I feel that it shows more dedication to the craft. If you are willing to dedicate time and energy into it you can become faster with your fingers then with a pick, also it allows you to be more versitile with your sound, and it more comfortable and easier to move around the strings.
It's a completely different style, and better for when you're playing certain genres of music.

Also, bass forum?
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Oh please,lets be honest,the rest of the world is seriously 2nd-tier. Honestly,a newb-country runs the **** out of most of you.

Kthxbai.
Quote by Blackening
just bull**** pick bass rulez

This, only phrased more eloquently and coherently...
Anyone who criticizes someones style is a dickhole. If I wanted to use a rubber chicken to play bass, I have every right in the world to do so.
Page 1 of 3