OK.I've read through several of the bigger threads located in the forums. I've searched Google, and yahoo. I've checked Yahoo answers, and most importantly, I've checked both Seymour Duncan's and B.c. rich's websites. Nothing is helping me. I've even went to several of the links many of the members of this forum have posted. I'm probably just overlooking something, as this is the first time I've ever done this.

My problem is: I have a B.C Rich VG1. Now, I like many other people, highly dislike the BDSM pickups or the stock pickups that come in most B.C. rich guitars. I'm currently trying to replace the bridge position pickup on my VG1 with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion pickup. The Seymour Duncan website has diagrams for most pickups except B.C. Rich pickups, and B.c. rich has most diagrams for all their guitars EXCEPT the one I have. Further more, the wiring schematics are so different, that I can't grasp how to compare them together. I'm only good at playing not fixing, and unfortunately I live in a small town where there arn't any shops for quite a ways away.

If anyone could either explain it to me, or direct me to somewhere that could, I'd appreciate it.If not, then I guess I'll try trial and error.
Get in the Car you've got a drive ahead of you.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 Cab
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Yamaha Pacifica
Yamaha Audioslave? (SH-14 and Striped)
Boss DD-3
Original Crybaby Wah
EVH MXR Phase 90
Ibanez RG32A
Either call Seymour Duncan or send them an e-mail. It may be that your guitar requires modification to make them work. You may need to take a drive, but that's not a good first answer.
^^fail.

you will be overcharged if you have someone else do it.
get up pics of the inside of your control cavity, and that will help me figure this out.
or draw up a picture in paint of how its currently wired
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by crimzin

You've got a report.

EDIT: You're swapping one humbucker for another? Unsolder the old wires and solder on the new ones.

Tape up the red and white SD wires together though, you don't nee 'em.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Albino_Rhino at Feb 8, 2009,
i shall try that. Thank you if it works. If it works it will help me with my other two B.C.s.
@Albino_Rhino Really? You too! =D There was nothing wrong with my post and your abusing the reporting system kthxbai!
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 Cab
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Yamaha Pacifica
Yamaha Audioslave? (SH-14 and Striped)
Boss DD-3
Original Crybaby Wah
EVH MXR Phase 90
Ibanez RG32A
Quote by chrismyers32
My problem is: I have a B.C Rich VG1. Now, I like many other people, highly dislike the BDSM pickups or the stock pickups that come in most B.C. rich guitars. I'm currently trying to replace the bridge position pickup on my VG1 with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion pickup. The Seymour Duncan website has diagrams for most pickups except B.C. Rich pickups, and B.c. rich has most diagrams for all their guitars EXCEPT the one I have. Further more, the wiring schematics are so different, that I can't grasp how to compare them together. I'm only good at playing not fixing, and unfortunately I live in a small town where there arn't any shops for quite a ways away.

If anyone could either explain it to me, or direct me to somewhere that could, I'd appreciate it.If not, then I guess I'll try trial and error.

Your best bet, then, is to simply rewire the whole thing to look like the Seymour Duncan diagram. It's a relatively simple scheme, you'll just have to make sure you follow the SD diagram exactly or you'll run into trouble. The components are virtually identical. Is there something in particular that's confusing you?
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Just that when looking at my guitar , it is "slightly" different than whats shown in the picture. They have made it to where the two wire's are twisted together all the way down until they split and connect at two different parts, so it makes it look like all one wire, but I managed to notice that. And I was getting confused at how the 3 way selectors in both pictures looked different.
Those diagrams are basically the same, just differant icons and colors used. Just wire it up as per the seymour duncan one.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
one diagam has me soldering to the volume knob..where the other has me soldering.. to the switch.. so its kind of confusing..but i'm going to attempt.. this now.. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
no, they both go from the pickups to the switch.
Quote by chrismyers32
one diagam has me soldering to the volume knob..where the other has me soldering.. to the switch.. so its kind of confusing..but i'm going to attempt.. this now.. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I had trouble understanding stuff like this at first.

For all I know, it doesn't make a lick of difference which you go to first, but on a 2-pickup guitar with a 3-way switch and a 1-volume/1-tone pot configuration, it's easiest to wire the pickups to the switch and then run the hot from the switch to the volume pot, wiring the tone pot parallel to the pickup circuit (basically what they have on the SD diagram). Then you run the hot and ground from the volume pot to the jack and the bridge.

Don't worry, if you have working components and your solder joints are good, following the SD diagram exactly will work.
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by GravyFish

Don't worry, if you have working components and your solder joints are good, following the SD diagram exactly will work.

good advice: the duncan diagrams will not fail you.
ok...so. I got everything hooked.. up..and..it..works...kinda.. Its fuzzy and it crackles....And my neck position pickup is still a BDSM and it is so much louder and has so much more bass in it..than this pickup..so.. Idk what I did wrong..
Quote by chrismyers32
ok...so. I got everything hooked.. up..and..it..works...kinda.. Its fuzzy and it crackles....And my neck position pickup is still a BDSM and it is so much louder and has so much more bass in it..than this pickup..so.. Idk what I did wrong..

I could be a few different things.

First things first, are any leads crossing intermittently? Like the bare ground touching the hot out on the switch? Are there any frayed wires?

Check/re-do questionable solder joints. Is it crackling when you turn a potentiometer? It could be dirty carbon contacts, which can be cleaned with some contact lubricant (I use DeOxit FaderLube).

Does it sound like the tone pot is turned all the way down when you use the bridge pup? Have you adjust the height of the bridge pickup? You might take pictures (preferably high-resolution ones).
I Japanese Fenders
wow. so the stupid mistake and the only instructions that were on almost every site I looked at, and the instructions that were even in the little booklet that came with the pickup. Gravy Fish, thank you for reminding me. I had yet to adjust the height of the pickup, and it was still really low. It sounds awesome now, even with the out of tune old string i threw on to test it.

Thank all of you for your help, I probably would of A.) wasted a bunch of money getting it done professionally or B.) wasted a bunch of money by screwing up.

Guess I should of infested more of my years into repair, than just playing.
One other thing? I went ahead and bought some of the new Ernie Ball Titanium strings. I've been using Ernie ball for 4 years now, so I don't want to change brands, but I as wondering if anyone had used them yet, and if they are even worth putting on my guitar.
Quote by chrismyers32
wow. so the stupid mistake and the only instructions that were on almost every site I looked at, and the instructions that were even in the little booklet that came with the pickup. Gravy Fish, thank you for reminding me. I had yet to adjust the height of the pickup, and it was still really low. It sounds awesome now, even with the out of tune old string i threw on to test it.

Thank all of you for your help, I probably would of A.) wasted a bunch of money getting it done professionally or B.) wasted a bunch of money by screwing up.

Guess I should of infested more of my years into repair, than just playing.
One other thing? I went ahead and bought some of the new Ernie Ball Titanium strings. I've been using Ernie ball for 4 years now, so I don't want to change brands, but I as wondering if anyone had used them yet, and if they are even worth putting on my guitar.

Hah, trust me, I've spent hours wiring things wrong before facepalming and re-wiring the whole scheme. Pickup height just came to mind

Glad to hear it worked out. This is the place for questions! I'm just getting into repair, and it just takes practice.
I Japanese Fenders
Well.. I just wish I would of thought to come here in the first place, instead of wasting my time reading through pages upon pages of websites. Well, I seriously am Grateful to all of you, well most of you. Couple of yah were a bit rude. So, hopefuly one day you'll have a question I can help with, and Ill be sure to head back here If i have any problems.
Quote by crimzin
@Albino_Rhino Really? You too! =D There was nothing wrong with my post and your abusing the reporting system kthxbai!
Wrong. Your post was spam - Stupid Pointless Annoying Message.
Quote by crimzin
I completely agree with Albino_Rhino about reporting this. ^
Please don't spam.

Quote by chrismyers32
Well.. I just wish I would of thought to come here in the first place, instead of wasting my time reading through pages upon pages of websites. Well, I seriously am Grateful to all of you, well most of you. Couple of yah were a bit rude. So, hopefuly one day you'll have a question I can help with, and Ill be sure to head back here If i have any problems.
cool. congrats on getting it sorted, man.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.