so im thinking of modding the crap out my squier (thinking, i mite not do it)

What are the advantages and a disadvantages of both?

What would be easier to fit?

ive tried searchbars, but i couldnt find answers

thanks lovely UGers
wilkinson is easier to fit, its basically a standard strat trem in terms of operation, but its designed better. the kahler...just no. they look great on paper, but in reality, there are so many problems with operation. if anything, get a floyd. not a kahler.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I just put a Wilkinson bridge on my Strat, and now it has perfect tuning stability.

I'd highly recommend doing it if you have the time and the inclination - it's not even very difficult.
probably, the only trem u cant divebomb with is a bigsby...

and it might go out of tune if you have s***ty tuners. if your really modding this thing, new tuners is a must.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^And a graphite nut
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I believe Wilkinson/Gotoh are the best company to buy any hardware from as a standard.

Better tuners, strat trems & Floyd Rose units.

Edit:
Get a Gotoh Floyd Rose for divebombs & get a locking nut too, cheaper than buying locking tuners.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Feb 8, 2009,
I have no experience with either but, it seems like the Kahler would run alot smoother than the floyd no?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
I believe Wilkinson/Gotoh are the best company to buy any hardware from as a standard.

Better tuners, strat trems & Floyd Rose units.

Edit:
Get a Gotoh Floyd Rose for divebombs & get a locking nut too, cheaper than buying locking tuners.

Would require more routing.
Quote by woodsballplayer
I have no experience with either but, it seems like the Kahler would run alot smoother than the floyd no?

Not a Gotoh. But this guy's putting a Wilkinson in.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by woodsballplayer

it seems so. until you play one in reality.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
yeah the wikinson im lookin at comes with a graphite nut
and i will change the tuners

overall, how long would a job like this take?

the guitars in perfect condish if dat helps
Quote by tallicaown
can u divebomb with a wilkinson?

and will the guitar become out of tune

I don't dive bomb, but when I fitted the Wilkinson Trem, I did some testing.

I can move the trem repeatedly through it's full range, up and down, and it remains in tune - it's a great bit of kit - I've tried just about everything to get tuning stability with the original bridge, it wasn't bad with a Tremsetter fitted, but nowhere near as good as the Wilkinson. It's a cracking bit of engineering.

It really doesn't look bad either!

if no routing is necessary, probably a few hours max

EDIT: you can bend up with a wilkinson? awesome.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Last edited by AngusJimiKeith at Feb 8, 2009,
EDIT: you can bend up with a wilkinson? awesome.

Not much - but when it's at rest there is a little upward motion - probably about twice as much as there was with the original bridge, but nothing like an FR.
^i figured it wouldnt be much, but i would only need a little bit, since i bend strings alot.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
ive gt a squier affinity series (yes laugh)

so what are the chances that routing has 2 be done
not much, i think its meant to be direct drop-in.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
so if were to end up installing the trem, just unscrew the current bridge and ram the wilko in?
well, you might have to drill holes for the new posts, but essentially, yes.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
If you are fitting a wilkinson, you need to be aware that there are a couple of types - what sort of Trem do you have now? 2 post or 6 screws?
the squier affinity series all have six screw
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
a lot of people are saying **** about Kahler:
so somebody's gotta defend it.
Kahlers, assuming you take good care of them, will stay in tune (until you do some serious bending)
String bends, for whatever reason, make it go out of tune. It goes back if you divebomb, don't ask me why, because I have no idea.
In any case: it really is a great trem, but it does not-in any way, shape or form- compare to a floyd rose. It has a greater flutter ability, better tuning stability, etc.
But you didn't ask about floyds, did you? oh well.
I didnt ask about floyds because its gnna be to match hassle to install and i cba!

because my current strat trem has 6 screws, would this be a problem
Quote by tallicaown
I didnt ask about floyds because its gnna be to match hassle to install and i cba!

because my current strat trem has 6 screws, would this be a problem

No, you fill the 4 middle holes and drill for the Wilkinsons posts in the 2 outer most posts usually.
What's that spacing on the Wilkinson's posts? I think they're 56.7/8mm?

I've seen Strat 6-point spacing with 56.36mm (2 3/16")

OR

52.5mm (2 1/16")
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
You need to measure the distance between the centres of the outside 2 screws on your current bridge.

If the centres are 55-60mm the you want a VS100. Id the centres are between 63-66mm then you need a VS50. I have no idea what the measurements on an Affinity are, but my standard series needed a VS50, but it had a 2 post trem fitted anyway.
Haven't read the thread fully so I apologise if I cover anything that's been covered.
My wilkinson, while being tops for the odd wangle of the bar, does go out of tune if used extensively (pulling up is a no go area unless it's for vibrato), however, matched with a graphite nute and some good tuners it should be just as good as a Kahler.

I've never tried a Kahler, but if what I've heard is true, they look better than they hold tune and stuff.