So, I'm looking to get some sort of effects pedal for my birthday. I went into town today to try some stuff out but all they had for bass affects was a boss multi fx.

It gave me some kind of an idea of what different effects sound like, and so far it looks like I have a few choices.

A) Overdrive - I'd want something that subtly add a little warmth and depth to my tone. Instead of all out distortion.

B) Octaver - Must be octave up and down

C) Synth pedal - Not sure how useful these would be in band situation or how easy they are to use, but I liked the synth sounds on the multi fx I tried.

D) Chorus

I'd say my budget is £80-100 tops, anything above and I'd have to put money towards and then I'd be spending money I dont have.

so I need some ideas of how useful these effects are in a band situation(click the link in my sig to hear us), and some actual models that would be worth looking at.

Bare in mind I won't be able to try these out.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
in my opinion any effects should be left for the guitars. you play bass, not lead. imo a distorted bass sounds crappy anyway.
Quote by Sammm1
in my opinion any effects should be left for the guitars. you play bass, not lead. imo a distorted bass sounds crappy anyway.

Back to the guitar forum for you!
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Sammm1

Noted. Now go back to shredding and the guitar forums....

Scott: are you looking to get a few pedals or just one of the pedals?

I think Overdrive and chorus are very useful effects for a bass player. As always, I'd recommend the Digitech Chorus as a great chorus pedal for the price. On the OD--Fulltone makes a good one.
Quote by anarkee
Noted. Now go back to shredding and the guitar forums....

Scott: are you looking to get a few pedals or just one of the pedals?

I think Overdrive and chorus are very useful effects for a bass player. As always, I'd recommend the Digitech Chorus as a great chorus pedal for the price. On the OD--Fulltone makes a good one.

Just one pedal for the moment.

I've heard mixed reviews about digitech, whats this one like?

The fulltone is a bit too expensive for me at the moment.
Quote by guitarhero_764

I just feel that none distorted blends so much better with the flow and drums. Distortion adds to the mess.
But yeah thats my musical opinion - I have no knowledge with bass's

(I actually respect bass players unlike most )
Digitech can be hit and miss. But the Digitech chorus and the Digidelay are really great pedals and their fairly economic price can be deceiving for the value they give.

I use both of the pedals quite a bit and have been extremely happy with them.
If you want a tube like overdrive (similar to a cranked SVT) you should look into the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal.

I've been looking into chorus pedals as well, none really jump out at me.

The EHX Bass Micro Synth is great but pretty expensive and I'd advise you to stay away from the Boss SYB-5, apparently it's not very good at all.
Quote by Miss G
If you want a tube like overdrive (similar to a cranked SVT) you should look into the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal.

I've been looking into chorus pedals as well, none really jump out at me.

The EHX Bass Micro Synth is great but pretty expensive and I'd advise you to stay away from the Boss SYB-5, apparently it's not very good at all.

Yeah the EHX synth was the only noe that looked really good to me.

Will the VT Pedal be able to do quite a subtle hint of distortion if I wanted it to?
Quote by guitarhero_764

The best bass chorus I've ever played is the Carl Martin Bass Chorus Pedal. But at a price over 200 USD, it was a bit beyond my budget at the time.
A) I use my Fulltone for this exact purpose, but then it also has the boost function to add more gain when I want a heavier overdrive. Expensive, but if you ship in from the USA like I did, it won't be much over budget.

The VT21 also gets very good reviews.

B)Only thing that springs to mind in the EHX Micro POG. Way over budget, but again, it sounds good and gets great reviews. However, the octaves it produces are clean, which can be given as a positive or a negative.

C) The most reasonably priced one that is somewhat awesome is the EHX bass micro synth, but again, over budget.

D) This depends on the chorus sound you want. The boss and the digitech are both good, but the boss is a bit more subtle. The analogman mini clone chorus is awesome, but you would really have to shell out for it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I think I'm going to go for the Tech 21 VT. It seems to be what I'm looking for and the fulltone is a bit expensive.

Any other suggestions welcome
Quote by guitarhero_764

i have a boss odb-3 bass overdrive pedal and i love it really, i play most songs with it on because i like the crunchy distorted sound i get from it. if i remember right it cost me £65 so well within your budget. i've tried a synth pedal, which was also boss and the effects you can get from it just by moving one of the knobs a little was surprising, though i didn't ask the price of that at the time. i also played around on a little big muff once, which was pretty cool, if above your budget. but try loads of pedals out til you think you have what you're looking for
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Raizer Sabre
i have a boss odb-3 bass overdrive pedal and i love it really, i play most songs with it on because i like the crunchy distorted sound i get from it. if i remember right it cost me £65 so well within your budget. i've tried a synth pedal, which was also boss and the effects you can get from it just by moving one of the knobs a little was surprising, though i didn't ask the price of that at the time. i also played around on a little big muff once, which was pretty cool, if above your budget. but try loads of pedals out til you think you have what you're looking for

I'm looking for something a little softer than the ODB3
Quote by guitarhero_764

The ODB-3 is really more fuzz-y than overdriven distortion. I use mine in the blues band and it took a bit of fiddling to get just the right touch of OD and not fuzzy-buzzsaw.

It will do the job and I like mine, but I will agree there are better options out there.
The DigiTech Synth Wah has a synth, which is cool, but an auto-wah, which in my opinion is a vital piece of bass kit.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright