I'm finally upgrading my amp. I have a Line 6 Spider 3 D:. Well anyway, I want a tube half stack, I'm sure I'm going used, and I have about 1100-1300 USD to spend. Maybe a little more. I'm thinking a Peavey 6505(+ maybe) or a XXX. I play metal, and all its sub genres.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
1. You DON'T need a half stack
2. go for the 6505+ combo when it is released. should be around 500 to 600. and get some other stuff with the rest of the money.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
1. You DON'T need a half stack
2. go for the 6505+ combo when it is released. should be around 500 to 600. and get some other stuff with the rest of the money.

What if he wants the bass response of a half stack?

Or if he wants to be able to mix and match head and cab without having to do speaker changes?

Or wants a penis extension
I want the half stack. I don't want to have to buy a new amp when I start a band.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by Gwynnell
Or wants a penis extension

Then a half stack is his only hope, I'm afraid!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Quote by jackson player
I want the half stack. I don't want to have to buy a new amp when I start a band.

More speakers = minimal volume increase
What if he wants the bass response of a half stack?

Then get a cab along with it? That way he won't have to bring it to band practices, but the option is always there.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
PEAVY 6505 are triviums. they sound like........ Zeuss would if he still played guitar.
Quote by jack15_11
PEAVY 6505 are triviums. they sound like........ Zeuss would if he still played guitar.

wut
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
More speakers = minimal volume increase

Then get a cab along with it? That way he won't have to bring it to band practices, but the option is always there.

You speak sense, but that would end up being more than buying just the half stack.

I know that in some cases it's ludicrous to get a half stack but i think for this money, it would be enough to get a decent half stack.

At the end of the day, if he got a combo, he would end up selling it for a half stack in a years time because that's what he really wants.
these are my suggestions
1: Peavey 6505 and a Mesa 2x12 cab
2: Peavey XXX and a Vader 2x12 cab
3: Peavey XXX 2x12 Combo and pedals
4: Engl Powerball and then save up for cab
5: Mesa Dual Rectifier and then save up for a cab
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 8, 2009,
And, the 6505+ combo is 1200
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by jackson player

You can play with a combo amp in a band and still be heard if its loud enough.
Hell, you can even tour with a combo. It might even possibly save you money.
You don't NEED a half-stack...but if you really wanna dish out the extra money...
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
1. The 6505 1x12 combo is still freaking 60W. so more than enough for nearly everything.
2. It's a closed back combo so you will have more bass respond than with an open back. an if you want to mix you can still buy a cab. you would have enough money for it if you buy the combo.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by jackson player
And, the 6505+ combo is 1200

where the hack do you buy?
the LIST price for it is 700$. and list prices are always more that what the actually price is.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Wouldn't it make sense though to get the whole half stack, used, for the same price rather then getting the combo?

I just searched it, and they all came up for 1199
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by jackson player
Wouldn't it make sense though to get the whole half stack, used, for the same price rather then getting the combo?

I just searched it, and they all came up for 1199

The combo you are looking at is the 6505 2x12 combo. The 6505+ isn't even out yet. no shop carries it yet. and it will be cheaper than any other of the 6505 variation (head or combo).

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
When will it be out?
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by jackson player
When will it be out?

Peavey site says q2 2009. may contact them and ask but my guess is mid to late march or early april.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Unless you plan on playing to large crowds often, talking over 1,000 people, a half stack is gonna kill your audience, not to mention drown out the rest of the band.

If you could find a Mesa Mark IV combo, they kick ass, probably louder then a sane person would need.
Stop telling him not to get the half stack, if it's what he wants, knows this disadvantages of it, and can afford a descent one, GET IT.

Yes we know he doesn't NEED one, but then all of us don't NEED a lot of the stuff we have.
What about an XXX combo?
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by jackson player
What about an XXX combo?

read mah first post
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
his budget is big enough to be looking for a halfstack. the only time i go "you dont need a halfstack" is when guys with a 300 dollar budget say they need one for band practice. if you can, try and find a way to compare a 6505 and a XXX side by side, since they are completely different beasts, and unless i know exactly what sound you want, i wont be able to reccomend one over the over. the xxx is more versatile though.

EDIT: something you want to keep in mind about 2x12 combos is that theyr a bitch to carry around
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Feb 8, 2009,