Poll: Which one should I choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should I choose?
Zune 120 gig
47 34%
iPod 120 gig
85 61%
Off-brand MP3 player with >100 gigs of storage (Explain, no Archos)
7 5%
Voters: 139.
Page 1 of 2
I've been using a 30 gig 5th gen iPod video for the past 3 years, and have had more music and movies than I can fit on it for the past year.

I've been looking into either the iPod classic 120 gig or the Zune 120 gig. Personally, I've been using this iPod for 3 years, and its lasted thus far. However, I plan on using the player to watch movies and heavily listen to music.

I've heard that the Zune has better audio playback quality (I'm a bit of an audiophile on a budget, and this helps) but suffers in video playback battery life.

The larger screen appeals to me, and the UI of the Zune is more pleasing to the eye, to me at least.

I'm not looking for fan boys of either side to say "The iPods better, get it. Zunes suck", or something of the like. I'm looking for definite pros and cons of either one, particularly how long I should expect each to last. (In terms of longevity).

I know that the Zune does not have any EQ settings. I don't care about the software that comes with either one. I usually use Winamp to play music.

I will probably not use the WIFI sharing that's on the Zune. Games are not very important to me.

I will be primarily listening to music, with movie watching on the side. It will be heavily used, whichever one I choose.

Thoughts>?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
They're both good. I have an iPod, and they're very good.

Zunes are good, but my friend has had one for a few years and its not holding up too well.

I'd say get an iPod.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
iPod's. You can DJ on the voume thing. And they look smooth.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by imicius
Both of them suck, but I hate Bill Gates slightly less then Steve Jobs

To the extent of my knowledge, Bill Gates no longer works as the CEO of Microsoft, and Steve Jobs is on a leave of absence.

Please keep your choice away form the heads of companies.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Zune. Microsoft>Apple

And they look cooler

But good lord, 120 GB? Thats like 8947017342476235678925 songs
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by EVH92
Zune. Microsoft>Apple

And they look cooler

But good lord, 120 GB? Thats like 8947017342476235678925 songs

Nope. 90 gigs is 21,586 songs.

On my machine, anyways.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Nope. 90 gigs is 21,586 songs.

On my machine, anyways.

Still, that's a ton of songs
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by EVH92

Still, that's a ton of songs

No, it's around 10.79300 tons.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
To the extent of my knowledge, Bill Gates no longer works as the CEO of Microsoft, and Steve Jobs is on a leave of absence.

Please keep your choice away form the heads of companies.

But both were ideas of their respective (former) CEOs.

On an objective level, I've owned 2 Zunes and at least 4-5 iPods. The first Zune lasted longer then any of my iPods (in fact, the first one still works, but any kind of movement messes with the hard drive plates and causes it to reset, so I just leave it plugged in as a stereo). I've now switched to using a flash-based Zune, because I use my MP3 player most days and HDDs just don't hold up that well to constant movement.
Holy shit, we are in the EXACT SAME problem. Like, every detail.

I, too, have been using a 5th gen 30GB for a while, and NEED a larger mp3 player, since mine has been long full.

And, I'm buying a Zune 120GB.

I love iPods, I really. BUT, I have absolutely no faith in the iPod Classic line. At all. They've narrowed it down to only one iPod, they only come in two colors, there has been no REAL innovation for the past few years in them (save Cover Flow and Genius), and I don't see Apple having them around much longer.

Yes, they'll be on the product line for a another year or so, but I wouldn't expect them to keep it much longer, unless they're going to release some other amazing, large storage MP3 player soon (which I doubt).

To put it simply, I have more faith in the Zune than I do the iPod Classic at the moment, and wouldn't waste my time with the Classic anymore.

Get the Zune.

[/fallenangel20 approved statement]
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I would probably say the Zune. Purely because it's a bit different and you have to rate Microsofts continuing support for old models. Apple drop the previous generation as soon as a new model comes out even though an older iPod could probably run the newer firmwares.

I am considering getting the smaller Zune because my 30gb 5th gen iPod is too big to put into my pocket discreetly and my iPhone will not last a whole day if I am heavily using all the other features AND listening to music for 3+ hours a day (in the library, on the train etc...)
I am....making progress...
IMO both leave a lot to be desired, I use a sansa Fuze which has much better sound qualty than both, and has effectively unlimited storage since it can use microSD cards (it only has 8 gigs built in however)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
There is not 1 flaw on the ipod classics. i don't know about the zune but you can't go wrong with the ipod.
I love how the iPod is the most voted but almost no one is giving an example.

So they're pretty much just saying, "Get it. It's what everyone else uses."
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Holy SH.IT!! This is the 134245th thread I've seen about this in the past week! I'm not usually one to blow up about the searchbar but ffs.
Quote by connor045
There is not 1 flaw on the ipod classics. i don't know about the zune but you can't go wrong with the ipod.

besides having reliability issues and medicore at best sound quality.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Personally I'd go for the Ipod, my experience with Zune isn't exactly extensive, I decided to give them a try after using Ipods for the last 4ish years, unfortunately the 8gb I ordered was DOA so I ended up sending it back and exchanging it for an Ipod touch, which like the Ipod mini I had before it has been completely reliable.

The headphones are horrible though so I'd reccomend changing them straight away.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
I got a Zune 120gig and I love it to death. This is my second Zune as I had the 1st gen 30gb one that I gave to my brother because I needed something bigger. My 1st gen Zune is 2 1/2 years old and still runs flawlessly and the battery life is still great. Microsoft does have great support for previous generations when they introduce a new Zune.

I highly recommend the Zune for being a user for 2 1/2 years.
is too young to be versed in such grown up ways...

please listen to my band at www.drawntofury.com
I have the iPod 120gig, and I love mine. My last iPod that lasted me about 2 years was a 2 gig nano This is deffinitly a step up.

I'd recomend the iPod. Also, my friend got these crazy Bose (i think) headphones for his iPod Touch and they sound phenomonal. Check those out too.
Quote by faultyy
Personally I'd go for the Ipod, my experience with Zune isn't exactly extensive, I decided to give them a try after using Ipods for the last 4ish years, unfortunately the 8gb I ordered was DOA so I ended up sending it back and exchanging it for an Ipod touch, which like the Ipod mini I had before it has been completely reliable.

The headphones are horrible though so I'd reccomend changing them straight away.

If you ever buy an MP3, ditch those shitty head phones, and quick.

I traded my iPod for a Zune for about a week once. Never again. If you're used to the iPod get that. If you're used to the Zune get that. I admit, the 15 dollar fee for unlimited music is awesome. I mean, really awesome. But still, if you're used to the iPod I'd say go for that because it was waaaay too different for me. I don't know why, I just couldn't get used to it.

A little more info on that story? When I got my iPod back I moved my thumb up on the touch wheel to move the cursor up like how you do on a Zune. Lame
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
Quote by Tubyboulin
I have the iPod 120gig, and I love mine. My last iPod that lasted me about 2 years was a 2 gig nano This is deffinitly a step up.

I'd recomend the iPod. Also, my friend got these crazy Bose (i think) headphones for his iPod Touch and they sound phenomonal. Check those out too.

Bose overcharges for mediocre sound quality and poor construction. Normally, in my experience with Bose headphones, they lack treble, and the bass is severely distorted.

However, Bose does make a fair home theatre system.

Sennheiser 280Pros out-perform Bose headphones any day.

/audiophile rant
I like my Zune. Mine takes a beating sometimes, always rides in the car with me, sometimes I forget it on freezing nights... never had any major problems with it really. There was a time when it wouldn't turn on but I learned it was because it wasn't charging properly (because it was plugged into a USB hub that was plugged into a USB hub that was plugged into my laptop)

I mean, plays music well, there's radio, the video quality is good... I like it a lot.
fck.
Zune does have EQ settings, they're just presets though. The 'acoustic' one seems to work well for me, lots of bass, lots of treble, not so much mid.

I recommend the Zune, mine has held up reliably for two years, and before that it was owned by someone else since the launch.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

I got a Ipod Classic 120gb and it is fantastic. The sound is fantastic and the interface is very easy to use. The only drawback is that the wheel is a slightly unsensitive.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Creative zen...
Most durable Mp3 iv had.
Has great sound quality.
Most have expansive capacity.( SD card)
Has an ajustable equaliser if needed.

relativly cheep.
Quote by mythicaldude
Creative zen...
Most durable Mp3 iv had.
Has great sound quality.
Most have expansive capacity.( SD card)
Has an ajustable equaliser if needed.

relativly cheep.

I have too much music to store on tiny SD cards.
May I ask why no Archos? Considering you can get a 250gb new 5 series which is better than both of them?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
May I ask why no Archos? Considering you can get a 250gb new 5 series which is better than both of them?

I don't have that kind of money.
I see. Shame.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
I see. Shame.

Indubitably.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Bose overcharges for mediocre sound quality and poor construction. Normally, in my experience with Bose headphones, they lack treble, and the bass is severely distorted.

However, Bose does make a fair home theatre system.

Sennheiser 280Pros out-perform Bose headphones any day.

/audiophile rant

Well I dont know if they were Bose, i can't really remember

They sounded better than the headphones that come with mp3 players, at any rate.
Quote by Tubyboulin
Well I dont know if they were Bose, i can't really remember

They sounded better than the headphones that come with mp3 players, at any rate.

That's unquestionable

I kind of overreacted, I admit, but I have a rather strong distaste for Bose
My Bose QC2's are the best headphones I've ever tried

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
My Bose QC2's are the best headphones I've ever tried

Let's not turn this into a Bose/Other company argument

I simply have a distaste for Bose.
Page 1 of 2