I'm looking for a new distortion pedal to put on my Crate v33's clean channel.

Originally I had a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive, and liked it at first, but then just kinda didn't like it, so I pulled out my old and crappy Boss DS-1. Surprisingly, I actually kind of dig it's sound, but I don't like the obnoxious buzz, and it doesn't have enough "mmmph" and crunch behind it for me.

I was wondering which of the Crunch Box or the Jekyll & Hyde would be better for me, I play anything really, just depending on what I'm in the mood for, but the majority of it is rocking out to Iron Maiden or 80's stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
I have a Crunchbox, really great distortion pedal, very Marshall-y. Don't know about the Jeckyll&Hyde, never played it. I think the Crunchbox would be good for the stuff you play. Try it out and if you like it, go for it.
I'm trying to get opinions because I can't try out either of them :\
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
I found the J&H to be extremely versatile, but if you don't really want the OD, then try the VS Double Trouble.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Maybe look up some demos on youtube, so you can get an image of how they sound so you can judge yourself.

I have, but demos on youtube only go so far, so I was trying to get some real human input on it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Crunchbox because of the creamy marshall-y sound that I've heard and has been described, but I also like that the J&H has both a distortion and an OD to boost it.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
You can also think about modding your DS1. They can be decent pedal modded if I remember. Would be cheaper as a Crunchbox or J&H and you maybe could get a decent sound out of it I think.
Keeley mod...highly recommended.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by WtrPlyr
You can also think about modding your DS1. They can be decent pedal modded if I remember. Would be cheaper as a Crunchbox or J&H and you maybe could get a decent sound out of it I think.

I might get it modded if I get a decent amount of money for my 18th birthday in a week, so money really isn't the problem, I just want a good sound.

Would the Keeley mod add more gain at all? That's really what I'm after.
Gear
Guitar
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Pedals
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
I have, but demos on youtube only go so far, so I was trying to get some real human input on it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Crunchbox because of the creamy marshall-y sound that I've heard and has been described, but I also like that the J&H has both a distortion and an OD to boost it.

IMO the jekyll and hyde is pretty damn heavy. You don't even need to boost the distortion unless you want volume. The od is ok, pretty tubescreamery, the distortion is just, well heavy
crunch box is the best distortion pedal I've heard. I use a tubescreamer for lighter disortion, but the crunch box just rips.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread or anything, but can either the crunchbox or the J&H get a sound close Lamb of God or Opeth?
Well Nick Valensi uses a jeckyll and hyde and I love his tone. But alas, I've never heard a crunchbox. Listen to some of The Strokes if you wanna hear a jeckyll and hyde.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
My Crunch Box will be here tomorrow so I can give you some input when it arrives.

I also will try it on my V33, so you'll get a pretty solid review.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Last edited by Mr.Camo at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by G-man05
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread or anything, but can either the crunchbox or the J&H get a sound close Lamb of God or Opeth?

It definitely should. DEFINITELY.
A little bump, but I got my Crunch Box, so it's worth it.

The Crunch Box sounds pretty good right out the box with the Crate, but there was something missing so I fiddled with the internal trim pot. I thought it was too bassy and a little trebly at first, when I turned it to the right it turned out amazingly! The pedal has way more gain then anyone could want, and in my opinion, it sounds better then a JCM (to my ears at least), but I found a perfect tone for me.

It's not meant for low-gain by the way, but at around 11-1 it sounds like a Plexi, 1-2 JCM, 3+ hot-rodded JCM.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Last edited by Mr.Camo at Feb 12, 2009,
I have a 3rd Gen Jekyll & Hyde and it is extremely versatile. I run it with a marshall jcm 2000 and an american strat and it works wonders. If you have the patience to play around with it for awhile, you can get many great distortion and overdrive tones.
I've tried the Jekyll and Hyde but not the Crunch Box. The J&H is pretty heavy, but it can do a smooth overdrive if you only use the drive channel. The drive channel is based on a boosted TS-808 with the addition of the bass boost switch. I'm not sure what circuit is in the distortion side of the J&H but it's heavier than the overdrive side. Both sides can also be used together.

After lots of research in the last week I'm GAS'ing for a Jekyll and Hyde V2 now and am just about ready to pull the trigger.