So I have been a longtime Les Paul player, but lately for some reason Stratocasters have been very appealing to me.

My first question, is there a noticeable difference between a Mexican Strat and an American Strat?

Also, what would be the cheapest price I could find for a new Strat (both Mexican and American prices would be cool). A tremolo would be really nice too if it doesn't send the price through the roof.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Difference between mexican and american is that generally american strats are made from higher quality components than that of the mexican ones. The difference I would say wouldn't be that large.. Are friend of mine said the differece would be that wear-wise, te mexican strat's frets would wear away quicker than the american one. So, yeah, other than quality, not much.

Oh and for MiM you'd be looking around £300/400, and for MiA about £700. I'm pretty sure tremolos are standard as well.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Feb 8, 2009,
I have a Mex one. Its awesome. Really smooth and comfortable guitar. Very solid. I haven't played any American ones but I cant see how it can get much better then this.
Brand new mexican strats generally go for $350-450, and theres upgraded ones for like $600-700. The American ones are mostly $1000 with upgraded ones ranging from $2000-$infinity.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Okay, I'm sure you can find a new American Standard for $900, maybe $1000ish. Case included.

As for the differences, it's mostly build quality and little things. For example, the MIA Strats are made and assembled in the States, whereas the MIM Strats parts are made in the US and assembled, finished, etc in Mexico, I believe.

Some little things that make the MIA more desirable (at least to me) is the rolled fingerboard edges, the nice glossy finish on the neck,etc. Little cosmetic stuff like that. The stock pickups aren't bad for stock. Personally, I love my MIA Standard. MIMs are good too, but you'll definitely notice major (and subtle) differences if you play them side by side in a store or whatever.
Quote by Lollage123
I'm pretty sure tremolos are standard as well.

Yeah i think they are
they're just normal tremelo systems arent they?
not like floyd rose or anything are they?
god im dumb
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Build, wood and hardware quality differ. The pups on MIA strats are a lot better than those on MIMs. Japanese Fenders are also worth a look, the ones I've played performed as well as MIAs imo. Most were pretty heavy though, you'll have to see if that's a problem for you.

If money is tight, check out the Highway one series or the Korean Lite Ash strats. Those have the most value for money imo, the latter especially.

Quote by padgea7x
Yeah i think they are
they're just normal tremelo systems arent they?
not like floyd rose or anything are they?
god im dumb

Yep, most have a two point sychronized trem, some (like vintage reissues) have a six point trem. Close to all Strats have a trem.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 8, 2009,
Ok, thanks for all the info so far. I could afford a Mexican Strat now. And once again, sorry for being a Strat noob.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Okay, I came across this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105156996-i1431991.gc

As far as price goes, that looks really good, but another noob question. It only has 21 frets. Is that a standard thing among Strats? Gibsons have 22 frets.

Quote by John Frusciante
there is a BIG noticable difference between the 2. Mainly better quality and sound.
Cheap/Used MIM- $300-$600
Cheap/Used MIA- $650-$1000
The above prices are for Standard Models.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Get yourself to a guitar store and start trying them out. Also check out other brands such as Tokai and Blade.
I have never really liked the standard MIM strats I don't care for the neck finish most I have tried had sharp frets and the pickups are cheap ceramics that sound very different to what you would find on a USA strat. The MIM Classic strats are much better the necks seem better finshed and the pickups sound much closer to the USA models and they play well thats not to say you don't need to try them but they seem a bit more consistant. The MIM Classic player strats are even better nice pickups good quality of finish and play really nice but still need to be tried to find the right one, still dogs get through. The USA strats seem to have the most consistancy and use higher quality parts but you still need to try them. I have found USA strats that are better than my 60s Classic Player as they should be but I have also found USA strats that are much worse. I don't care for the huge frets on the highway one models but they seemed to be the same some are nice some are not. If you can afford it find a nice USA strat if not find the best strat in your price range.
Don't forget to check out Tokai and Blade strat models. The MIJ Tokai strats are nice easily as good as MIM Classic strats and often better. The Blade Texas pro is a really sweet guitar also it has some kind of tone boost circuitry onboard also. I've only tried one texas pro and one texas classic they both seem very nice well made guitars I would rate the them both above most of the MIM fenders I have tried.
carvin makes some really cool strat-esque guitars, and has kits that you can put together and finish on your own for about $400
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
MIM's usually don't have a maple top, while a lot of MIA do.

Unless you go highway one, then they have the nice nitro finish and no top.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Mexican Strats are like Epiphones. Great quality, good sound, but do not compare to the MIAs. You could get a good quality MIA if you're willing to go used. There are also MIJ Strats which I've heard some people say they're on par with the American models.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG