Hey guys,
It was my birthday just a few days ago, and i received a good amount of money. I'm going off to Uni next year, and i don't want to take my Les Paul (obvious reasons) and the case for my LTD EX-260 is so damn big that I won't end up taking it either. I'm looking for a decent strat-type to take with me.

What i am really looking for is something to mod over the next few months to make it sound/feel better. I'm planning on scalloping the neck, replacing the pickguard, maybe changing pickups too. I've seen a few Squier Strats and Jay Turser Strats, but I'm planning on trying them out next week. Anyone know of some decent/cheap strats that would be good for Uni/modding? My budget is around $100-400 Canadian.

My favourite genres to play are Neoclassical, Power Metal, Hard Rock and Blues
Gibson Les Paul + Orange Tiny Terror = Sex
I'm not seeing the obvious reason as to why you wouldn't want to bring your guitar with you to the place you are going to be a lot for the next few years. Is it because LP's are heavy? Unless you are walking to the school I don't think that should pose a problem.

As long as you are talking about dorming at a college/university, if not disregard this play.
Quote by Ippon
Buy a used MIM Fender, preferably 2007 and later with the heftier trem block. You can snag those from eGay for relatively cheap and you'll probably be happy with the PUs, assuming you have a nice amp.

That.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
What amp are you taking with you?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Unless it absolutely has to be a Strat, buy a Yamaha Pacifica. It's a lot better than a Squier, possibly even better than a Mexican Fender. Plenty of scope for mods too, that bridge humbucker is just asking for a coil-split.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Check out sx strats, they are really cheap and some people like them stock, but it will definitely be great for modding.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
The New MIM Standards are sexy.

Quote by Tombe
possibly even better than a Mexican Fender.
Fail.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Yeah, those are pretty sweet, but fenders quality control has dropped in the last few years.

But the the new MIM do look really nice.
If you can find a nice used MIM strat at a cheap price I would go for that. As you can already play the guitar you will be able to tell a good one from a bad one. They are alot better than cheaper end brand new strats.
Yeah, you can find used MIM strats for pretty cheap off of ebay and craigslist.