So I've had my MIM strat for 5 years now. Initially I loved it. But now as I've grown I want to get more out of my instrument. Instead of buying an American I'd prefer to just fix my girl to resemble an American.

My main problem is that it takes way too much effort to bend strings on it at present. Additionally some frets don't allow me to bend without squealing out.

Recently I went to a local guitar shop to see if it was me the terrible player or my instrument that was holding me back. As expected the playability of an American allows me to make cleaner larger bends and a nicer vibrato.

Right now I'm using medium gauge strings. When I bend my bridge barely even moves which is good and bad in some situations. But I think a move flexible bridge would give me more freedom in my play.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had these sorts or problems and If you can give me some advice on what to do? I'm planning on taking her to a guitar shop to try to get these problems fixed in the near future but I wanted to see what UG said first.

Thanks
When the sun falls the moon rises...

My attempt at art lasted for an instant and then faded like a candle without oil...

When i get around to making more candles hopefully my art will return in a perfect form that all can appreciate.
Try adjusting the spring tension in the trem cavity. When I did it to my Strat it became that much better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by godofthemoon

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had these sorts or problems and If you can give me some advice on what to do? I'm planning on taking her to a guitar shop to try to get these problems fixed in the near future but I wanted to see what UG said first.

Thanks
A proper set-up is always the best first move. It's amazing how much better a guitar feels and sounds after one.

Other than the extra fret and the bridge's wider string spacing and heftier trem block, the only other differences on the MIA worth noting are the neck profile (it might be the same as yours), neck finish, cavity shielding, electronic parts, and PUs.

As I understand it, the necks are actually built in Corona (PM tubadude who used to work there) and the worn feel should be an advantage.

You can get all of the american strat parts from allparts.com for a fair price, just go under fender factory parts, they have all of the schaller tuners, american bridges and pickups, and its not too terribly expensive, especially with the UG discount.