Hey I was wondering if someone could help me find a problem. I have a Marshall VS230R combo amp, and sometimes when I turn it on it will emit a high pitched tone at any volume level. If I unplug it and let it sit a few days sometimes it will work and sometimes the sound will be back. It has done this at multiple locations so it isn't faulty wiring in the house. I assume something inside is going bad, but what that is I don't know.
If you unplug your footswitch and guitar, does it still do it? Also want you to try it clean - no effects or anything else and nothing plugged into it.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 8, 2009,
vs.... a valvestate one?
thos ehave a tube in it dont they?
when a tube goes bad you get microphonics wich is kinda of high pitch noise, maybe changing the tube will help?
sorry if im no help here
goo luck!
Quote by KG6_Steven
If you unplug your footswitch and guitar, does it still do it? Also want you to try it clean - no effects or anything else and nothing plugged into it.

It doesn't matter footswitch or not, distortion or clean or where on the guitar is played at(it will squeal even if it doesn't have a guitar plugged in). It is a valvestate but it does not have a tube. I bought it off ebay thinking it would have a tube and to my dismay it did not.
^it has to have a tube in it to work!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Yeah, stick the required number of 12AX7s in there
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
the one 12ax7 in the preamp may have gotten badly microphonic on you. They shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks for one at your local music store.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
You're playing a tube amp without tubes, and you're curious as to why it doesn't work properly?

How do you shower without drowning?

All jokes aside, perhaps a microphonic tube, but have you tried playing different guitar or patch chords though it?

Also, describe the noise...

When you flick the amp on, it just emits a high pitches noise? Does this change when you touch the strings? Does it play the sounds it should in addition to this noise?

What the dealio, yo?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by 68_SG
the one 12ax7 in the preamp may have gotten badly microphonic on you. They shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks for one at your local music store.

$10 or 12 actually.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
C'mon guys do you really think I'm that stupid? It is a Marshall "Valvestate" but it is valvestate in name only. There is no spot for a tube, it does not take one. It is a Valvestate II series amp and only the 65w and up amps contain tubes.
Amplifiers oscillate quite easily and have capacitors in their cicuitry to stop this. One of these may have gone. if it is this it will blow your amp eventually get it to the repair shop
How close do you stand to your amp at what volumes?

Feedback maybe?
Stand further away from your amp and see how the noise goes...
It has nothing to do with how close I stand to it. Sometimes you turn it on and there's a tone, and sometimes you turn it on and it works normally. It sounds more like the capacitor problem Phil was talking about.