here's the deal

i'm getting a good amp (jcm 900) in the mail soon

I'm getting a les paul in the near future, so i would have a good strat, and a good les paul to cover most everything beside's hardcore metal

now which pickups best suit non versatile metal?

i'm looking to get a dinky or such, and either getting the guitar with the pickups in it, or replacing them into it.

I play Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, stuff like that

let me reiterate quickly, i'll have everything covered outside of metal, so i'm not looking for something that is versatile and such, i just need a good somewhat high gain bridge pickup, and a good clean/lead tone ish neck pickup

thanks
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
EMGs are the way to go if you want a one trick metal pony.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
EMG 81/85 with the 18v mod
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
BareKnuckle Nailbomb/MiracleMan combo

i cant think of anything else
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
dimarzio x2n
D activator x's
or just normal d activators
and PAF joe for neck is beast
I recommend the EMG 81/85 combo. I have it and it is amazing for metal. And the EMGs aren't as bad clean as everyone thinks. I actually like their sound clean a lot.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
EMG's all the way man
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
EMG 81/85
the 81 gives u a very sparkly clean too
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Although I don't like active pickups and I try to avoid recommending them to people, this is one time where I'm going to actually say go get yourself some EMGs dude.
seymour duncan dude beats th **** out EMG's
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Although I don't like active pickups and I try to avoid recommending them to people, this is one time where I'm going to actually say go get yourself some EMGs dude.

A Metalhead who doesn't like EMGs? Well, I don't like the battery powered thing. Otherwise, they seem usable.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
A Metalhead who doesn't like EMGs? Well, I don't like the battery powered thing. Otherwise, they seem usable.

you don't come around here often do you...

Quote by saitenslayer
seymour duncan dude beats th **** out EMG's

care to elaborate?

so it seems its between EMG 85/81's and Blackouts?

thanks for the recommendation metalhead, but is the only reason you wouldn't recommend them because their a so called "one tricky pony"?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
dimarzio d-activator?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
bare knuckle warpigs or EMG's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
EMG 81TW/89 with 18v mod.

Both pickups are coil-tapping, so you get a bit more versatility (even though you said you didn't want it). The 81TW is identical to the standard 81 except for the coil-tap, so you can get good clean tones in the neck.

Or, you could do 81TW/85.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
whats the difference between the 85 and 89?

and what about 85 vs. 60?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
From the website:
The EMG-81 is our highest output pickup. The EMG-85 has slightly less output than the
EMG-81, yet still has plenty of output to overdrive an amp. The EMG-85 has more low end
and less high end then the EMG-81. The EMG-81 has less low end and is brighter than
the EMG-85.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
by now you've probably realised that you should get some EMGs

81/85

or

81/60
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
unless your doing some intense shredding with alt picks and stuff, i'd get the 85 for bridge rythms, idk about most people, but i find the 81 can get a bit unnecessarily sharp for rythm playing.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by acdclandon
you don't come around here often do you...

care to elaborate?

so it seems its between EMG 85/81's and Blackouts?

thanks for the recommendation metalhead, but is the only reason you wouldn't recommend them because their a so called "one tricky pony"?

I'm on here plenty. It was kind of a joke.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Bareknuckle Warpigs if you have money to spend.

Otherwise check out DiMarzio Breeds or Duncan Blackouts.

EMG is supposed to be releasing some new pickups in the near future, you might wanna check those out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Maybe a Gibson Dirty Fingers, the highest output pickup Gibson makes.
Quote by chip46
HOLD THE PRESS!!!!

Before everyone goes and preaches EMG's.....

You might want to go and check out a Seymour Duncan set of Blackouts.

Blackouts own over EMG's IMHO, and I have two identical guitars, one with blackouts and the other with an EMG 81.

Blackouts have the same amount of output, if not a tad more, more mids that give it a tad more crunch, they are fairly quieter than EMG's, and they aren't quite as "active" sounding as EMG's. You can hear a slight "JB" sound to the blackouts, I've found anyway.

EMG's are GREAT for metal, but SOOOOO many people are head over heals for them, that anything else a hair better has a hard time breaking through.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
ANd a Dirty Fingers!
Quote by chip46
Quote by RJF
HOLD THE PRESS!!!!

Before everyone goes and preaches EMG's.....

You might want to go and check out a Seymour Duncan set of Blackouts.

Blackouts own over EMG's IMHO, and I have two identical guitars, one with blackouts and the other with an EMG 81.

Blackouts have the same amount of output, if not a tad more, more mids that give it a tad more crunch, they are fairly quieter than EMG's, and they aren't quite as "active" sounding as EMG's. You can hear a slight "JB" sound to the blackouts, I've found anyway.

EMG's are GREAT for metal, but SOOOOO many people are head over heals for them, that anything else a hair better has a hard time breaking through.

okay.............. i already recommended him Blackouts but if you want to elaborate the blackouts for him then fine with me.............
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
dimarzio x2n
or dimarzio super distortion...and they are alittle cheaper than emgs
but u really cant go wrong with any of the pick ups suggested
so i think my plan is this:

1. head to guitarcenter or store as such
2. find a good amp for high gain tones (mesa, or whatever they have)
3. dial in my desired tone on some kind of neutral guitar, sg or les paul
4. find a guitar with 81 and 85's on it and test, and the same with blackouts

than i will decide

sound good?

i'll try out other stuff as well
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
That's exactly what you need to do. Good job OP.
Quote by chip46
I have had the good fortune to compare the same (Ibanez) guitars, 1 using EMG 81/85 combo and the other using Seymour Duncan SH2/SH4 combo. Although they are pickups for a different purpose, they are still comparable as both the SD's and the EMG's are very high output.

Just for metal, the EMG's to me sounded better, but if you want to use it for anything else, the SD's were the way to go and also sounded very good for metal.
RG's & Mesa's