It's okay to run a 16 OHM head into an 8 OHM cab right? Or is it the other way around?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I don't think you can do that. You can do it the other way around, but you'll lose some power efficiency.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
I don't think you can do that. You can do it the other way around, but you'll lose some power efficiency.

Yeah, I know about the power thing. So I do have it backwards then? Can someone confirm?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
NO. It is not. You will ruin your cab and maybe your head.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Noo thats not okay. The head has too much power, the other way round you could do it but it wont de as good as matching the impedence
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Mathamology
Other way round (8ohm head into 16ohm cab) will work, but will experience power loss. Never have a higher impedance in the head than the cab.
+1
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Depending on the amp, you might be able to do it (I know Mesas can), but your power tubes will die really really fast.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The way round you have it means that you are puttig strain on your Output Transformer, which is very bad.

The other way around puts strain on your power valves instead, which is only moderatley bad.

It's best to match them, because you will experience power loss either way.

Btw if your amp is SS then you can match the way round you're saying without any adverse effects apart from power loss.
You will get a different tone than if you were using the correct speaker impedence. More power will flow through the output transformer your output tubes will run hotter and something could blow or it could be fine your choice.

Here is something I found on the net if you want to read it.

http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/TUBEFAQ.htm#XformImped
Last edited by stujomo at Feb 8, 2009,