Alright, well our school is requiring do a senior project consisting of a product, presentation, and blah, blah, blah. Anyway for my whole thing I'm looking at building a phaser. The main idea is that it'll have multiple pathways for the whole phase part of the circuit to be controlled by. One controlled by an LFO (or maybe a couple of different types of LFOs) and one controlled by a photo resistor. If all of that comes out easy enough, I may even try doing a sequencer based one (similar to some of those ZVEX effects, just for the hell of it.

Okay, so to put it simply I want a standard phaser with a switch to select either LFO or Photo resistor circuit.

Now here comes the main problem.

I have absolutely no experience with pedal building or any permanent circuits, for that matter. I can catch on to things rather quickly and I have built quite a few basic temporary circuits before.

What I'm wondering is where exactly do I start with all of this?

I’m thinking of buying a BYOC and going from there. Probably modifying that circuit to include a photo resistor type thing, or starting over completely with a different design entirely.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to say what I am planning on doing and I'll update this as I make progress.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
i have no idea what most of that means, but it sounds cool as hell, haha

good luck
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
I'm an electronics technician and I think your idea to get a kit and go from there is a good idea. Regardless, you're still going to have to dig into the schematic and figure out where to modify it with your circuit. Good luck!
If your looking for photoresistors, smallbear has them.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.