Hey, im having some trouble learning to play solos. I can pick decently fast, I can also move my fingers decently fast.. but.

I'm trying to learn Fade to Black by Metallica, and im having some trouble with the first solo, you know, the fast bit.

I know what notes im trying to play. and i can play them when im just practicing it slowly.

But i cant get it up to speed. Any tips on what to do, like exercises, or anything related that would help me actually be able to solo properly?

Thanks.
Gearrrr:
Ibanez EX Series
Crate Amp Its okay, but i want a Marshall =D
play it slowly then slowly build up the pace, use a metronome and increase the tempo gradually, only increase it when you can play it comfortably. There's no other way of doing it, slowly getting up to the speed is all you can do. But the good news is it'll mean when you get it up to speed it'll be flawless and you won't get frustrated about not being able to flail your fingers fast enough.
well play it faster and faster everytime you play the solo i learned it too but everyday i would learn and play all day until i got it keep hangin on
Okay. Thanks for all your help you guys, i got it =]
Gearrrr:
Ibanez EX Series
Crate Amp Its okay, but i want a Marshall =D
i got that solo done like a week ago lol that fast part took the longest and i got it...but what i did was practice it slowly for about 10 minutes play something else or walk away for like 30 minutes come back and play for 10 minutes come back to it later until i got it...

oh and if you can get it up to speed only sometimes then play it with the song and use a-b repeat and just keep repeating that fast part until you get it perfect everytime

EDIT: too late
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
Just in case you are thinking "Playing slowly? Boring!", think again. I also thought like that, but I'm having quite a good time playing slowly. Because then, when you want to play it fast, you'll smile at the progress you've made.

Tested and proven.

e|-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4
B|---------------------------------1-2-3-4--------
G|-------------------------1-2-3-4----------------
D|-----------------1-2-3-4------------------------
A|---------1-2-3-4--------------------------------
E|-1-2-3-4----------------------------------------

Up and down and forwards and backwards over and over.

Do it while you watch TV so its less monotonous and remember, always clarity before speed!

Please use tags for tabs....
Quote by adamk12
Hey, im having some trouble learning to play solos. I can pick decently fast, I can also move my fingers decently fast.. but.

I'm trying to learn Fade to Black by Metallica, and im having some trouble with the first solo, you know, the fast bit.

This?
-------14--19--14------------15-14--------------------------------------
--15-----------------15-----------------15--------17--15-14---------------
---------------------------16-----------------14-------------------16--14---16

I sweep it lol.
Yeah, I learned that song way back when and I seem to remember I played that part with some hammer-ons and economy picking.