when i play sitting, I can't get my bass to balance on my leg. I have to use my right forearm to anchor it down, but this is considered bad form. I have tried tightening my strap all the way, and it still doesn't make a difference.

How am i supposed to play if I am forced to anchor my right forearm and have bad form?
thunderbird?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by tipsy31191
jazz bass

then you shouldnt have any problems with balance whatsoever
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i thought jazz basses were meant to be awesome?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
i can play standing up, but this isn't always practical, for instance, if i am trying to read a tab off UG
well, disregarding my sig, play classical. Or, if you wear your bass high, sit with your strap. Helps the left hand a lot.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
learm by ear, when you come into contact with UG you depend on UG to live ... if you type www.herion.com you automatically get re-directed to UG
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
these are alternatives. No one has given any suggestions. Let's just say i want to play sitting down. My only option is to use my right forearm.
Quote by tipsy31191
these are alternatives. No one has given any suggestions. Let's just say i want to play sitting down. My only option is to use my right forearm.

Yes, why is this even an issue?
wear a strap and wear it a bit above your leg when you play sitting. better high fret access, you play exactly the same sitting as standing, I mean... what's not to like?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
that's just how jazzes are, they are very slightly neck heavy and it only shows when you play sitting down, just wear your strap so your shoulder is taking some of the weight aswell and your problem will be solved
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Taygunov
BC rich ?

Personally, my BC rich balances perfectly on my legs with the cutouts.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Quote by ScottB.
then you shouldnt have any problems with balance whatsoever

unless its a thunderbird jazz bass

or filled with lead
Try adding more delay.
This is the second thread in like 4 days with people complaining about balance issues with their basses when they're sitting down. Is there any way we can put this in like a sticky or something? 'cause honestly this is retarded.
when i play (i have a jazz) sitting down, my left hand always holds the neck up plenty well enough without any effort. either that or i tilt it enough that my left hand holds the neck down... it really doesn't get in the way of your playing since it's not extremely neck heavy...
The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
-1 John 2:17
Wow, most of you are being straight up pricks. I'd suggest that you cross your legs or something to give you a more stable base for the instrument. I don't have this problem because I wear my strap high enough to be able to sit and play (and **** and play, or even take a leak).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
why not just support it with ur left arm? thats seems to be the most obvious thing to do, or just play with the neck pointed slightly down.
I dont know what strap you're using, but if its done up all the way and isn't supporting your bass you could perhaps invest in a smaller strap. E.g. Fender straps are much longer than Levy's, which adjust much tighter.
I suppose if you were really worried, or really liked the look of some long strap, you could put a strap button on the back of the headstock. But thats kinda extreme.