Embedding doesn't work on here.
Fix the links.

EDIT-
So this is basically just a "guitarists you are jealous of" thread?

I'll admit Malmsteen is a douche, but basically everyone knows that.
But Vai? Seriously?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Last edited by gucio93 at Feb 8, 2009,
even great guitarists can be pretentious, just meant to be a fun thread so get so uptight
Quote by cantcme2
even great guitarists can be pretentious, just meant to be a fun thread so get so uptight

Like he's saying, There's already a thread for this.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Basically every video that says "X-year old playing guitar" is pretentious
And every single video that says "Best solo" or "Best riff"is pretentious, there you go
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
lad, you post a thread about pretentious guitarists and you post a link of one of Steve Vai's greatest masterpieces and live performances.

you need a slap
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Could you explain to me how Vai is pretentious in the least in that vid? Please? I'm just curious as to how you conjured that opinion...
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Awesome ****ing own-skills =/= pretentious.

Jealousy due to lack of previously displayed skill = pathetic twat that needs his ass kicked
I've never been a real fan of Vai. I always thought his music sounded... weird... And not a good kind of weird. Still, I don't see how he's pretentious in the slightest in that vid.
Yes, four necks is a little much. But let's not forget, the guy from Cheap Trick did have a 5-neck guitar, not that he played like that, though.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Awesome ****ing own-skills =/= pretentious.

Jealousy due to lack of previously displayed skill = pathetic twat that needs his ass kicked

you gonna be the one to do it tough guy? name the time and place
Don't be that guy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by cantcme2
you gonna be the one to do it tough guy? name the time and place

oh you're real badass. trying to threaten someone over a forum. Btw, by posting that particular reply (as quoted above) you just confirmed that you can't play like that and are indeed jealous. Go cry a ****in river and stop spamming for attention.
Quote by Fox McKalen
I've never been a real fan of Vai. I always thought his music sounded... weird... And not a good kind of weird. Still, I don't see how he's pretentious in the slightest in that vid.

I don't know about "pretentious," but I too find something astonishlingly ""-worthy about playing rock-derived guitar in this context, with this backing instrumentation, like Vai's doing here. Like if you just started playing folk fiddle in the middle of a Beethoven concerto.

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Yes, four necks is a little much. But let's not forget, the guy from Cheap Trick did have a 5-neck guitar, not that he played like that, though.
Heheh. Had? He's still got it - I sat through their set while waiting for Heart over the summer. He played it on "I Want You To Want Me." But I don't think that's pretentious so much as it is just plain silly.

Also, chill out you peeps.
srrry, I just find it silly when someone threatens a fistfight over an online forum.

EDIT: This may get my point across better:
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 8, 2009,
@the 4 necked guitar

That guitar is absolutely ridiculous. Why the ****... does he need those many necks? I would understand if they were all in different tuning AND different amount of strings or something, but no, they're the same ****.

That didn't even impress me, it just added a bit more confirmation to the, "Lead guitarists are arrogant jackasses" stereotype.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Last edited by Misticalz at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Misticalz
@the 4 necked guitar

That guitar is absolutely ridiculous. Why the ****... does he need those many necks? I would understand if they were all in different tuning AND different amount of strings or something, but no, they're the same ****.

That didn't even impress me, it just added a bit more confirmation to the, "Lead guitarists are arrogant jackasses" stereotype.

what everyone needs to understand about MAB was that it was the 80s.

that's what was good.

it was flashy, over the top and completely unnecessary. but it came from the decade that gave us this.

what's the point in that nowadays?

it's not fast, it doesn't look good (subjective remember), and it's not practical. it has no use in todays world. but looked at from an 80's-esque perspective it's awesome.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
yeh, its the car of the 80's alright, life would be cooler if everyone lived a bit more 80's now wheres my bag of coke??
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Being good at guitar doesn't make you pretentious. Now if Vai were to go to the microphone and say "this is the best song in the world and you all suck at guitar" then went on to play his song - that would be pretentious.