I'm looking for some help recording vocals. I currently use cubase, an sm58 microphone and a eurorack uB802 mixer to record but no matter what I do I can never get the vocals to sound right, they usually sound like theyre too near, on top of the mix if that makes sense or too muffled and I cant figure out how to get them to sound right.

I've tried playing with the eq, recording from different positions (close to the mic, further away from the mic mic in different positions) adding reverb and a whole host of other things, so does anyone have any tips or techniques for recording and mixing vocals? Any help would be appreciated.

I have some recordings on my profile.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
yo,
if you can, try out some large-diaphragm condenser mics. the SM58 is ok but different mics suit different voices, and given the option, i've always gone for something like a Neumann U87 or Rode NT1-A rather than the SM58. it sounds ok, but nowhere near as nice as a good condenser.
I'd love to get a decent mic but I dont have the money at the moment, is there anything else I can do?
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
hard to say really, EQ and some reverb might help.

can i have a go at mixing some of this stuff for ya?? could you upload the multitracks for maybe "Authority Is Just A State Of Mind" somewhere? PM me about it. i'm always looking for stuff to practice on
it can totally be done with a 58! check my second myspace link in my sig, in the first song the vocals were recorded with an sm57, i guarantee you no one would ever guess. dont underestimate mic placement for a mic like this. everything kinda has to be right on for it to sound legit. so-- good placement + eq+ compression (maybe 2 compressors ?!?) +delay +reverb
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
^ True, but it can be pretty flaky just using one mic, always best to have a choice. it can be hit or miss, some people sound good through a 58, some sound aweful.
Werd

nothing wrong with the 58 mind, but considering you can have an NT1-A for €160, good condensers aren't that expensive, ya know. still, for certain applications, 58 all the way. they're especially handy when you realise that if you take off the silver windshield, you've basically got an SM57. (gotta be careful with that exposed capsule though!)
i am hit and miss with rode mics. although i never tried the nt1. it looks ridiculously well built tho for such a "cheap" mic.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Its a real nice mic, whenever i've got to use it, its always been good. sounds great on brass.
I have an NT1 from about ten years ago. Never a hitch of problems, and is still my main go-to mic for lead vocals.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
No, no pad switch. I use the one on my preamp, though, if needed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.