Post any questions or comments related to colored or coated strings here.

What do you guys think of colored / coated strings?

Would you ever put colored / coated strings on your guitar?

How reliable is the paint / coating on the strings?

How long do you think it lasts before it comes off?

Any sound blemishes (or differences) from using colored / coated strings?

I have a Les Paul in Fireburst w/ gold hardware, and I think it would look pretty sweet to put gold strings on it. http://www.andertons.co.uk/and_news_files/images/LPSTFICH1.jpg
Quote by k7apex
People to Listen to in this thread:
k7apex
Ch0
Carrot
TOMMYB22
GlitterPaws
Last edited by GlitterPaws at Feb 9, 2009,
I find coated strings to be a display tool mostly. The coat gives a little more life to the strings, but I'd rather use Elixers if I wanted that. Also I heard that after intensive playing, the coating starts to chip off and leaves a residue on the guitar.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Dear god, I would love to use coated strings but I don't exactly trust them and wouldn't want to ruin any of my guitars by putting them on.

Yellow strings would look sick on my Blue Chameleon Xiphos.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
After I used some elixirs, I screwed up my guitar's FB. No set of strings will last more than a month on it, and the D'addarios I had on it lasted quite a bit longer before then. I also didn't like how they felt slick, it was weird.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I love coated and coloured strings.

I had elixers on my SG for five or six months, then put some DR Black Beuaties on it.

Coated strings last longer in my experience, and coloured strings look really nice.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Does it come off on your fretboard? Like if I have pink strings on a maple fretboard or a rosewood fretboard with large white inlays, would it turn my fretboard pink?
coloured strings; No. Never wanted to be a prick like that.

Coated strings; Elixir's are my current favourites, and I have a set of EMP's I'm planning to try soon.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Mine are Nickel Coated!!!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Ive tried DR coloured strings and the colour wore off very quickly. I'll never buy coloured ones again
I leik music
Nitrogen coated, homeboy

Dean Markley Blue Steel. Coated in liquid nitrogen and cooled to -320 degrees Farenheit.

Superb sound, excellent life, just all around good ****. I use 10-46, for reference.
Any kind of painted strings are pretty terrible. They look good...until the paint comes off....and it totally kills tone.
i persoanlly dont like the look of coloured strings, i think they look very silly (biased P.O.V, never tried em before). when the paint wears off they look even worse

classic silver all the way... never tried coated either, only use and have used d'addarios and ernie balls, which are byfar the best imo.
I used elixers for a while before switching over the EB's and D'addarios.They were nice,but the coating would wear off fast and they felt kind of slippery and odd to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

The ONLY Colored / Coated Strings Thread

presumably to avoid confusion with all those other coloured/coated strings threads.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i used a set of DR's Black Beauties one time. if you do a lot of sliding around in your playing like i do, the color wears off of the non-wound strings VERY quickly. my high e string was basically silver again within an hour or two.

the wound strings hold their color a LOT longer, but after a week or two, they start to wear off where you pick most often.

i think the colored strings would work better on a bass, because all of the strings are wound, and you would be using your fingers, which are much less abrasive when compared to a pick. i'd imagine the color would last a lot longer that way.
Yeah, I have seen the Gibson Diablo SG guitar at my local guitar center, and it's red strings are spotted with silver, I never really thought it would be a good investment, because you only get to see the fully colored strings for under a month (or less).

But I also commend the Elixirs on a job well done.

What are your thoughts comparing the nanoweb coating to the polyweb coating?
Quote by k7apex
People to Listen to in this thread:
k7apex
Ch0
Carrot
TOMMYB22
GlitterPaws
Last edited by GlitterPaws at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by GlitterPaws
Yeah, I have seen the Gibson Diablo SG guitar at my local guitar center, and it's red strings are spotted with silver, I never really thought it would be a good investment, because you only get to see the fully colored strings for under a month (or less).

But I also commend the Elixirs on a job well done.

What are your thoughts comparing the nanoweb coating to the polyweb coating?

Polyweb; never tried it.

Nanoweb; love it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54