Okay, we all know about this famous, shocking example.

http://www.audiomasterclass.com/arc.cfm?a=will-you-ever-buy-behringer-equipment-again-after-reading-this

Disgusting.

I was just wondering if anyone has had previous experiences with any gear or companies where you have been duped, lied to or let down.

I have many small insignificant examples.

One that got me was just Orange in general - you open one of those amps up now - what shoddy build quality!! You are paying over 1kGBP for something that rivals a Marshall AVT inside - i exaggerate - yet i have had mine upgraded and tweaked inside so it won't give me any problems (still heats to boiling point unfort. cause of the KT88s).
Orange....more like an unsettling Beige.
Quote by davedoom

I was just wondering if anyone has had previous experiences with any gear or companies where you have been duped, lied to or let down.

ummm..........
MOST Behringers
Marshall MG series-CRUSHING OVERDRIVE !!!!!1!!1111!!!
Line 6 spider
Dean Razorback
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 8, 2009,
The rebel comes to mind. While not a terrible amp the tube mix and wattage control on it are gimmicky at best.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The rebel comes to mind. While not a terrible amp the tube mix and wattage control on it are gimmicky at best.

Don't let the rebel cult hear you say that.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Don't let the rebel cult hear you say that.

No kidding, you'd think it was the second coming of mr. christ or something.
Quote by Kevin Saale
No kidding, you'd think it was the second coming of mr. christ or something.

At least his brother.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Kevin Saale

I knew you were gonna bring that up.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I always do, the whole amp is a sham. A chinese built 20 watt head that doesn't have the versatility touted, with a wattage control that does nothing to get cranked tones at lower volumes and sounds slightly better than mediocre, all for 600 bucks. Ditch the wattage control, the tube mix and the el84s and make ir 400 bucks new and I'll consider it.
When I try one out, I'll tell you if I agree. IS that like your new MG Kevin?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
No, it's not that bad, it's just overpriced. My main gripe is the two draws for it, the tube mix and wattage control don't do squat. It's just a sham to get people to buy the thing.
How was the tone though? Didn't you say it was more 6V6?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
How was the tone though? Didn't you say it was more 6V6?

Not sure what you mean. The only reason I say make the amp 6V6 only is because I think the sound of 6V6s overdriven is better than EL84s (unless they're in an AC30).
Which tube does it sound more like?
Quote by chip46
It's got its own tone really. There is some difference when you go from EL84 to 6V6, but it's minimal and certainly not worth whatever it costs to have that feature on the amp. Going from 6V6 to EL84 is about the same as turning the mids up a few notches.
Ok, I have some real 6V6s, and I'm gonna stick with them for now.
Quote by chip46
Just take that as a yes.
Quote by chip46
A LOT of pedals use LEDs behind tubes... For instance the Damage Control pedals. I opened them up and what do you know, LED behind the tubes. It's not a plus or a minus. It just makes it seem like the tubes are glowing. Wow. Sue them for faking a glow. When the guy traces the ciruit and discovers the valve does nothing, then we're into issues.
Yeah, but that's false advertising. As fake as saying a preamp tube gives an amp REAL TUBE TONE!
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Yeah, but that's false advertising. As fake as saying a preamp tube gives an amp REAL TUBE TONE!

Yeah, it's more of a false advertising issue.

And yes, I agree the tube knob does not do THAT much, but IMO it's still an AMAZING amp.
Quote by GNRjungle87

And yes, I agree the tube knob does not do THAT much, but IMO it's still an AMAZING amp.

Kevin, I'll let you deal with him.
Quote by chip46
There's nothing to deal with, it isn't a bad sounding amp (in fact, your john mayer clip sounds very good). I don't agree with cult this amp has since to me it's a one trick pony that's overpriced
I was just joking, the cult of this amp can be creepy.
Quote by chip46
Quote by Kevin Saale
There's nothing to deal with, it isn't a bad sounding amp (in fact, your john mayer clip sounds very good). I don't agree with cult this amp has since to me it's a one trick pony that's overpriced

Thanks, Kevin.

I've gotta put up some new clips though, I've improved my tone a lot.
Quote by Kevin Saale
It's got its own tone really. There is some difference when you go from EL84 to 6V6, but it's minimal and certainly not worth whatever it costs to have that feature on the amp. Going from 6V6 to EL84 is about the same as turning the mids up a few notches.

Oooh tough call though. I got my Rockerverb 50's poweramp modded to accomodate two EL84 instead of four 6V6's, and it does sound more middy, but it sounds clearer and brighter, plus the way they design Orange amps in Australia, they blow 6V6 tubes every four months, which brings me to my main beef with equipment.

The ohter beef I have is with Moog Music, more-so the service than the product. They do not provide service centres or warranty repairers for their stuff anywhere but in the US, and when my MuRF blew up couple of weeks ago, all they could say to me was "it could be a power supply problem, mail it to us" when I described the problem exactly and after I had done research revealing that other people had experienced the same problem with theirs. Now, I was aware that it took centre positive power, so I used my 1 Spot adapter with a polarity reverser attachment successfully for a year and a half, then to get told I used the wrong power supply and don't know **** is ridiculous. Btw, not mentioning the adapter that came with the pedal didn't work.

/rant.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Oooh tough call though. I got my Rockerverb 50's poweramp modded to accomodate two EL84 instead of four 6V6's, and it does sound more middy, but it sounds clearer and brighter, plus the way they design Orange amps in Australia, they blow 6V6 tubes every four months, which brings me to my main beef with equipment.

Very interesting!

I dont think anyone should put up with a stock Rockerverb in my total honest opinion.

Firstly, the valves should always be changed for some really nice ones (i recommend this highly in any new amp).
You really should try and think of a sound to achieve in your head - then carefully pick tubes for those styles - a simple way to get easily within reach of YOUR tone.

BTW - was browsing for KT88s in general (since i have them in my amp) and i found this!

Look at the bloody price for four! Maybe only in a high end audio amp i think!

http://thetubestore.com/eatkt88.html
Poor Horlicks

Mine cranks out 143 RMS - so there! Ummm, wait....not like cars, eh!?

Engl is around 120 something....

I REALLY do need an O.TT or Little Giant.
I heard that boss's famous "5 year warranty" only covers the pedal actually completely breaking and not working at all. it isn't covered if the product simply stops functioning correctly. It has to actually not work AT ALL.

That's a bit of a scam, and is the reason why the music shop i get most of my stuff from doesn't stock boss - they were sick of calling the customer support only to be told "does it switch on? yes? it's not broken then."
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by davedoom
Very interesting!

I dont think anyone should put up with a stock Rockerverb in my total honest opinion.

Firstly, the valves should always be changed for some really nice ones (i recommend this highly in any new amp).
You really should try and think of a sound to achieve in your head - then carefully pick tubes for those styles - a simple way to get easily within reach of YOUR tone.

BTW - was browsing for KT88s in general (since i have them in my amp) and i found this!

Look at the bloody price for four! Maybe only in a high end audio amp i think!

http://thetubestore.com/eatkt88.html

Yeah I definitely agree, my amp sounds 950 times better after the mod, though I reckon the Electro Harmonix tubes that were in mine did quite a decent job, got EHX EL-84's in right now, probably going to get some Tung-Sol tubes in there next change though. Those KT88 prices are insane though, 4 tubes for $1.4k is madness!
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by Kevin Saale

I agree with this. I put the watt control all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, and there was no difference in volume or sound at all! Also, I find the tube mix to only have a very small change in sound. It sounded pretty good, but I don't think I would spend $600 plus cab for it.

I'm not trying to rag on the amp, it's just not my thang.
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Feb 10, 2009,