Hello fellow musicians,

I have a new band that's gonna have our first live in 2 weeks time.
We've been practicing a lot but somehow, we think there's something wrong with either our sound adjustment or just our skill is not good enough.

fyi, we're playing pop-rock genre with 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drums, and a vocal
First i think our guitars sound level is not right
when the chorus begins (where all the instruments come into play)
the sound seems not balanced
is it because we're playing in the studio (the sound all cramped together)?

anyway,
if you have time please watch one of our videos on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/woodshirt356

any comments or critics, i'd welcome with open-minded
thanks for your time
Guitar sound seems to drown, in all the other sound. I dont think its the level of volume but the tone of the guitar. But it could also be just the quality of the recording.
Anyways i wouldnt worry too much about that gig your not sounding bad, plus it seems to me you bring alot of energy on stage. And thats what its all about
Good luck on oyur show.
By the power of Greyskull
Quote by Guitar_tischler
Guitar sound seems to drown, in all the other sound. I dont think its the level of volume but the tone of the guitar. But it could also be just the quality of the recording.
Anyways i wouldnt worry too much about that gig your not sounding bad, plus it seems to me you bring alot of energy on stage. And thats what its all about
Good luck on oyur show.

I agree your tones seem very muddy. work on getting a clearer tone that can cut through the sound a little better (that doesn't not mean more distortion)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I think the guitar is WAY too distorted. Adjust the balance, because there is almost NO bass as far as I can tell. For both of these, have a third party listen in on a practice, and have them tell you what needs to be turned up.

Whatever effect is used on the beginning of "Starfish", drop it. It sounds horrible. Once again, I believe it's the same guitarist that is having the tone issue here as well. The one with the hat.

Everybody needs more energy. The lead singer needs to do more than just stand there, and the drummer definitely needs to look like he actually wants to be there.

Finally, on the Otogi cover, the same guitarist I've been complaining about sounds absolutely DISGUSTING! Honestly, he's definitely the weakest link in the band. I'd say switch him and the other guitarist. He at least has the energy, and knows how to play his parts, and sounds decent when he does it.

I just hope you're not the guitarist I've been bashing X-D
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Guitar_tischler, Mr.Cuddles
Thanks a lot for the tips

i am still a beginner in setting the sound,
when you mean clearer tone,
should i set less bass and treble ?

Thank you for the encouragement, Guitar_tischler
Black_Star,
Thanks for the critics ^^

hmm..
then i think we should have less distortion, i see
for the starfish,
yeah i agree
the effects is not good
i will let him know

btw, which guitarist are you talking about?
the one with the hat is the bassist
though, i think he is doing the most well here

lol
perhaps i am the guitarist you're talking about >_< (the one with the red shirt right?)
sorry, i'll improve more

so conclusion,
less distortion?
oh sorry, now i know which one ur talknig about
that's our older practice
could you see our latest video? (the first 4 from our list)
i think we've improved a bit
please let me know what you think again, Black_Star
Actually, you're the guitarist I'm complimenting. Your volume needs to be louder, as well as the bassist's. Or just cut down the lead guitarist's volume. I can't critique your tone, mainly because I can't hear it very well, but it doesn't seem all that bad. Especially on Otogi. When you have your own little interlude in the middle, it sounds awesome.

The guitarist I'm referring to is always on your right in these videos. Has a multi-effects pedal.

EDIT: Otogi was one of the newer ones. As for your tone, I'd say add a little more bass to it. It's definitely missing some of the power needed for a rhythm guitarist.

Beginning of Starfish in the newer videos is MUCH better.

It sounds like you guys know your music. Just work on a few tone tweaks, and get more energy, and you'll be set.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Feb 8, 2009,
Black_Star,
actually i got a complain from my bandmates that my guitar actually sounds too loud when i play it without other instruments (e.g. when i play muted sound in the beginning of verse)
that's why i turned it down.
but perhaps, just like u said i need it louder
I'll set the bass to be higher next time

Thanks a lot for your tips and critics!
appreciate it ! ^~^
I listened to Starfish. I actually thought it sounded pretty good, especially during the chorus. A few things though:

As others have said, work on the guitar tone some. Also, you guys can move around more, especially the singer. Everyone looked good while they were playing, but they would look even better if they moved around. Finally, make sure you tune, because it sounded out of tune in some parts.

Another part of the problem might be the quality of the recording as well as the acoustics of such a small room. It will sound a lot better in an actual venue with good acoustics. But keep it up guys - you're sounding decent. Good luck at your first gig!
shortyafter,

yeah i'll keep that in mind. though we tune it in the beginning, sometimes it goes out of tune as we play. And I guess, we were kind of too stiff lol.
Thanks for viewing and the comment

Tone adjustment + More Spirit
Thank you very much everyone!
Its a good idea, before you start warming up, or rather, while you warm up, to have someone stand near the first row, or off to the side. Then play your instrument with another while the person that is in the first row can tell you who is louder and what to adjust. Just do that with all of the instruments until they are about level.

Thats the main thing I heard, aside from the distortion just not working for me on Starfish and Kaze no hi. Nice job covering ellegarden though (those were the only 2 I listened to). Are you guys based in Japan now?
X Sign Here
Yeah, we'll do that.
I think we spent little time on adjusting the volume of each instruments, that's why.

which distortion? both the guitar? or just the leading guitar?
do you have any suggestion for the settings for my effects? i am using a Digitech Grunge Pedal.

We are in Seattle, WA.
Thanks for the comment ^^
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the grunge pedal. But I suggest turning down the gain a bit, and. On starfish, the main guitar riff tone is what I'm talking about.

About the volume levels, I am talking about each instrument. Its not blending because all of your levels are wrong. What type of gig will you be playing; will there be a mixer or sound man?

Maybe try using the distortion on the amp without the pedal, see if that sounds better, what amps are you all using?
X Sign Here
Black guitar plays out of key....a lot.

EDIT: I'm no expert, but you don't need to be to hear that.
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Last edited by AllUrBase at Feb 9, 2009,