The pickups on my new Schecter C1+ are pretty good, I like the bridge but the neck is decent at best. So, when I get some more cash I'm gonna throw in a Super distortion and a '59. The problem is I like the pickup covers on the stock pups.

A) Could I reuse the stock pup covers?
B) I'm pretty sure the pups need to be covered in wax first, is this true?
and C) About how much do you think it would cost for a tech to wax and install the pups/covers?

I would do it myself but I don't have a soldering iron and the whole submerging the pickups in wax thing, given that has to be done, scares the **** outta me.
if you really want those pups, you can buy them covered.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
link to covered ones? I checked musician's friend and zzounds but they didn't have it as an option?
they ahve to be wax coated? wierd i had a bud who put chrome covers on his gibby sg special w/o waxing them and they sounded fine lol.. maybe he did get them waxed i dont think so though
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
if you go to seymour duncans site, there's a note about them.

can you go to a store? because you would probably have to order them that way.
you should call ahead tho.

i'll look for a link.

also, to answer your original question, you can desolder the blob on the back of the stock pup, to get that cover off.

that's the easy part.

the only pain in the butt part is putting them on the new pickups and then potting them.
dipping them in wax.

you dont want any space between the pup and the cover. or you can get feedback (microphonic)

having trouble finding the section you can contact them tho...
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/contact-us/

i only mentioned the duncan because the super distortion comes in nickel of you search you should see.

also, i thought i'd miss my covered pups off my C1+ after i swapped them out. then i didnt. just saying.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 8, 2009,
Ok thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get them ordered. If not zebra could be cool.
I haven't checked with the store yet but it looks like I should be able to special order the nickel covered '59. The new problem is that the Super Dist doesn't have a nickel cover option from what I can tell. What is the SD equivalent of a Super Dist?

EDIT: ^Thanks for taking the time to look, man. I was worried I was going to get 5 "google it you douche!" responses.
Last edited by robertito696 at Feb 8, 2009,
honestly, i'm off seymour duncans for now.

i like dimarzios more now.

i'm sure you see that the super dist has a chrome face option. should look ok.

to be honest, not sure if that's the way to go for pups anyway. i was just looking to show you the cover options.

to determine the best pups for you, you might want to talk about what amp you use, and what type of music u like the play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I was pretty sold on a '59 and Super Distortion, I made another thread for that a week or so ago and that's what I settled on. I guess I got a bit carried away with the whole covered thing.

Why anti-seymour duncan. I'm not partial to any company (yet), I've heard good things about both SDs and DiMarzio's though.

As for amp and music styles I have a Crate v18, not the greatest but I'm satisfied, I'm hoping to get an ENGL or Marshall JVM eventually but that's a lot of cash and I don't need the wattage, maybe if I ever start gigging. I play a lot of classic rock, The Who, Zeppelin, etc. and some metal, Sabbath, Mastodon, Maiden, etc.
i had jazz/jbs in my c1+

after a while i got a little tired of them.
the jb was so high treble.

started buying dimarzios found i liked the full sound of the virtual vintage series.
then started looking for guitars with dimarzios installed. tone zone, breeds
i dont know which you'd like most tho, so much depends on preference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I love the Super Distortion, it just kicked total ass, no other way to explain it. The neck had me stumped though. I want a bluesier mellower tone but with enough bite to do some Who. Any recommendations, I'm open to change. I did the DiMarzio pickup finder and was recommended a PAF Pro, a D activator and something else, any of those be good.
paf pros or maybe an air norton.

those are the usual neck pups, paired with a hot bridge.

i like keeping the same manufacturer with both pups.
which ever way you go, it'll make for an easy installation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'll try out a guitar with a PAF pro or an Air Norton and see how I like it compared to a '59 when I get a chance. Thanks for all the help. You are literally the most helpful UGer.
ha, cool, glad i could help. good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The general equivalent to a Super Distortion might be... a SD custom/Custom 5, maybe a Duncan Distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i like the custom custom, but i think he really flipped over the super d.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well, I suppose I didn't know that completely
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62