the riff has:

c5, bflat5, eflat5, f5, gflat 5

and just so i dont need to ask, is there a simple way to figure what key you are playing in?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,
and they shall be forever known as the person i cannot escape in the pit

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Last edited by synystagates at Feb 8, 2009,
You just find the notes in the chords (in this case dyads) and then see which scale they match up to.

Before we do this, I want to make sure you know what a scale is. A scale is simply a collection of notes that have been found good at expressing an emotion or multiple similar emotions (eg. major = happy, minor = sad).

C5 = C & G
Bb5 = B & Fb
Eb5 = E % Bb
F5 = F & C
Gb5 = G % Db

So you scale starting on C is C Db E F G A# B C

So your intervals are Root, Minor Second, Major Third, Perfect Fourth, Perfect Fifth, Augmented Sixth, Major Seventh.

Now that we've figured it out (I hope, not completely sober), I have no damn clue what scale that is.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Guitar Pro says its either C half-whole/enigmatic/spanish 8 tone/oriental/persian scale.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
i'll assume you're in C, sicne you start on C and end on what's close to a V chord, the Gb.

C5 = C, G

Bb5 = Bb, F

Eb5 = Eb, Bb

F5 = F, C

Gb5 = Gb, Db

your notes are:

C Db Eb F Gb ? Bb

root, minor second, minor third, perfect fourth, diminished fifth, unknown sixth, minor seventh

so the short answer is that you're in C minor, with a lot of extra flats, making it very dissonant.

if you make sure to play an Ab instead of an A when that comes up, and make sure to stick to just those power chords, and don't add any thirds or sevenths, you could play a locrian scale over that riff, which is a minor scale with a flat 2nd and a flat 5th.
OK thanks for the help in figuring the key. But if i want to make like a verse riff, do i have stick with those chords?

Also how come the first set of notes that was posted is different from the 2nd set??

and the order I listed the chords isnt the order I play the riff in, if that matters
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I will make it my personal mission to track you down and floss your teeth with a wound g string.

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Last edited by synystagates at Feb 8, 2009,
TS, are that chord (eflat5) an Eb power chord or an E with a tritone. If option two then ignore everything I said.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
TS, are that chord (eflat5) an Eb power chord or an E with a tritone. If option two then ignore everything I said.

i'm pretty sure he's playing just power chords with root notes which are flat, not 3 different diminished-fifth chords in the same riff.
Ya, I probably should have assumed that, but I'm so used to reading chord names I just read them in the fastest way.

TS, I'm wrong, don't listen to me, listen to frigginjerk
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Or you could do it yourself and learn from it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
Ya, I probably should have assumed that, but I'm so used to reading chord names I just read them in the fastest way.

TS, I'm wrong, don't listen to me, listen to frigginjerk

power chords

so do i have to use these chords throughout the whole song. because thods chords were just for an intro riff, respectively...
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
You don't have to do a damn thing, it's your music, do what you want.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
I can just throw any set of chords together? that seems to easy lol
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
If it sounds good to you, then it is good, that's the bottom line. Now, there are people, hell there are people on this forum, that study for years to find out how to make the music they want to.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
If it sounds good to you, then it is good, that's the bottom line. Now, there are people, hell there are people on this forum, that study for years to find out how to make the music they want to.

True.

Though you might want to see if other people like it if you're planning to play FOR other people. Or maybe not.
Quote by synystagates
I can just throw any set of chords together? that seems to easy lol

LOL

Isn't that how you came up with the chords you're asking about in the first place?

Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by meakel
True.

Though you might want to see if other people like it if you're planning to play FOR other people. Or maybe not.

Depends how pretty he/she is. If your hot enough no one gives a damn what your music sounds like.

Living proof
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
lol okay thanks guys, i learned i can make music by throwing chords together
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Quote by Zaphikh
Oh yes, the communist.

^Me
Quote by Al4Project
Yes,

^Me

Valveking Wiki
Quote by synystagates
OK thanks for the help in figuring the key. But if i want to make like a verse riff, do i have stick with those chords?

Also how come the first set of notes that was posted is different from the 2nd set??

and the order I listed the chords isnt the order I play the riff in, if that matters

The A#---B---C you play can be thought of as a chromatic run, so if you took out the B you would be in spanish gypsy minor or phrygian with a major 3rd which is sometimes used in death metal playing.
your new notes for this scale,

C
Db
E
F
G
Ab (new note)
Bb
C

also throw in the B which can work for walkups or descending riffs kinda like in Beast in the Harlot, 5-6-7-8-7-8-9-10. And as the others said, play what sounds good, if you don't like the Ab, don't play it.
Gear
Jackson Slsmg Soloist
Valve King 112
Yamaha MM6
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Little Big Muff Pi--MXR Carbon Copy--Boss GE-7 EQ--Boss DD7 Delay--Boss CH-1 Chorus--Crybaby Wah
I would call it Bb minor. In a powerchord, the fifth is so consonant with the root, that it is used for stability rather than tonality. That being said, you have Bb C, Eb, F, and Gb which all fit into the key of Bb minor nicely.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I would call it Bb minor. In a powerchord, the fifth is so consonant with the root, that it is used for stability rather than tonality. That being said, you have Bb C, Eb, F, and Gb which all fit into the key of Bb minor nicely.

either would work, depends on the feel he wants
Gear
Jackson Slsmg Soloist
Valve King 112
Yamaha MM6
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Little Big Muff Pi--MXR Carbon Copy--Boss GE-7 EQ--Boss DD7 Delay--Boss CH-1 Chorus--Crybaby Wah
Quote by frigginjerk
i'll assume you're in C, sicne you start on C and end on what's close to a V chord, the Gb.

C5 = C, G

Bb5 = Bb, F

Eb5 = Eb, Bb

F5 = F, C

Gb5 = Gb, Db

your notes are:

C Db Eb F Gb ? Bb

root, minor second, minor third, perfect fourth, diminished fifth, unknown sixth, minor seventh

so the short answer is that you're in C minor, with a lot of extra flats, making it very dissonant.

if you make sure to play an Ab instead of an A when that comes up, and make sure to stick to just those power chords, and don't add any thirds or sevenths, you could play a locrian scale over that riff, which is a minor scale with a flat 2nd and a flat 5th.

so.. that wouldnt be C, that would be .... Bb Locrian?

EDIT-... i mean C locrian
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
Last edited by MetallicSoul92 at May 24, 2009,
Quote by MetallicSoul92
so.. that wouldnt be C, that would be .... Bb Locrian?

EDIT-... i mean C locrian

No. There is a C5 chord which has a G as its fifth, which implies that it is not locrian. Also its next to impossible to write a locrian song. This song is clearly in Bb minor.
Quote by synystagates
the riff has:

c5, bflat5, eflat5, f5, gflat 5

and just so i dont need to ask, is there a simple way to figure what key you are playing in?

I am still learning and the best way to learn is to ask!
What does the 5 stand for?
Quote by Pipwud
I am still learning and the best way to learn is to ask!
What does the 5 stand for?

It means its a powerchord (not really an actual chord at all).
It just consists of the root (1) and the fifth (5).
So a C5 would just have C and G in it.
They're useful for distorted guitar music because the addition of a third becomes to sound more dissonant with distortion.
Also, they're easy to throw in becaus they have ambiguous tonality (neither major or minor sounding).
Quote by Cyberbob
It means its a powerchord (not really an actual chord at all).
It just consists of the root (1) and the fifth (5).
So a C5 would just have C and G in it.
They're useful for distorted guitar music because the addition of a third becomes to sound more dissonant with distortion.
Also, they're easy to throw in becaus they have ambiguous tonality (neither major or minor sounding).

and every hit rock song ever has them...they make you sound good even if you suck
Gear
Jackson Slsmg Soloist
Valve King 112
Yamaha MM6
Line 6 Toneport UX1