Next year I will be a senior in high school. My school is offering an online class in music theory that I plan on taking. The requirements for the class are being able to read both treble and bass clefs, know all major and minor scales, know all key signatures, read rhythms, and understand time signatures.

Right now I am able to read treble clef, I understand time signatures, and I know a few scales.

I feel like I have a lot of work cut out for me in order to meet all of these requirements before the class starts in August. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am already using musictheory.net to help me out, but I like to be able to use more than one source. Do you guys know of any books or other websites that can help teach me these things?
Those prereq's really aren't hard. Just check out the theory sticky on this site.
12 fret fury
Knowing your major and minor scales is basically the same thing as learning your key signatures, and learning your key signatures is as easy as memorizing the circle of fifths and the order of sharps/flats.

I don't have my scales memorized, but I could derive any scale you please in about 3 seconds with the circle of fifths.

Bass clef is easy too, just have a few guide points on the staff memorized (bottom line = G, middle line = D, top line = A.) You'll also get more experienced with the bass clef as you practice writing in it.

So really, it shouldn't be too hard- I learned all that stuff in the first week of AP music theory this year.
Last edited by LaminatedPig at Feb 8, 2009,
Thanks. It makes me feel better to know that is should go over the stuff at the beginning of the class. I was worried that it would just expect me to already know everything.
Quote by xeroxed216
Thanks. It makes me feel better to know that is should go over the stuff at the beginning of the class. I was worried that it would just expect me to already know everything.

Yeah, music theory isn't as hard as people make it out to be, it's really a snap.

Plus, it's probably the most fun class I've ever taken, it's the first one that's inspired me to do extra related work outside the classroom just to learn more.
honestly if you study what you need to know for an hour a day you'll know everything you listed within a week.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.