Page 1 of 2
how do you tell if a guitar is American made? and what are some of the best American guitars under $250?
I don't think there's anything American made for that price.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
New ones? Don't exist. For USA made thats new you're looking at $1000+, for older guitars it'll still be around the $500 mark, even if its 20 years old. For $250 you're looking at made in China and so on, out east. If its made in the USA it'll say in plain sight cause they'll want you to know and advertise it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I doubt there are any American guitars under 250. Not from any mainstream companies anyway. They usually say Made in America on the back of the headstock, or the heel of the neck.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by jpo1992
whats the next best country to get a guitar from?

Japan is probably the next best, but country doesn't matter TOO much. Indonesia from my personal experience isn't very good. But China turns out some nice low end stuff.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by jpo1992

Mexico or Japan IMO, though some people prefer other combinations like Mexico and Korea, Korea and china, etc. At $250, China and Korea are likely all you'll find.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by jpo1992

I'd say that indonesia is generally the 3rd best country to get a guitar from so i'd say there.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by jpo1992
where are the lesser priced telecasters and strats made?

mexico/korea

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
i think the music store in my town has some American made guitars from not so well known companies, im gonna have to check em out. well if the guitar sounds nice i dont give a **** where it came from.
Quote by jpo1992
i think the music store in my town has some American made guitars from not so well known companies, im gonna have to check em out. well if the guitar sounds nice i dont give a **** where it came from.

so why the obsession with american made?

Quote by element4433
just wondering if i could get one made in America, support the economy and all that, lol. plus all my American stuff lasts for ever thats kinda why wanted one
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Buying an American guitar won't really help with the economy at all...

As a wise man who's never gotten a Squier instead of an Am. Std once said; it's the thought that counts.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
Buying an American guitar won't really help with the economy at all...

thats why its funny, or at least funny to me, but if every one bought a guitar from America it would help the economy.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
so why the obsession with american made?

The best guitars from American companies are made in America (Fender, Gibson, PRS). The best guitars from Japan are made in Japan (Ibanez, EPS, Caparison).
A lot of those companies have factories in other countries that produce cheaper instruments. They don't have the QC of the main headquarters and they also don't spend the same amount of time on individual instruments.
Quote by jpo1992
thats why its funny, or at least funny to me, but if every one bought a guitar from America it would help the economy.

An American guitar costs, say, $1,000, based on the Fender American Standards. a multiple-billion-dollar bailout didn't get us all the way out and sort of dug us deeper into debt. Every guitarist magically finding and dropping $1,000 wouldn't fix the economy, there aren't even ten billion people in the world, let alone guitarists. Even if we switched to $25,000 EVH frankenstrat replicas, though that may actually do something small...

Quote by necrosis1193
An American guitar costs, say, $1,000, based on the Fender American Standards. a multiple-billion-dollar bailout didn't get us all the way out and sort of dug us deeper into debt. Every guitarist magically finding and dropping $1,000 wouldn't fix the economy, there aren't even ten billion people in the world, let alone guitarists. Even if we switched to $25,000 EVH frankenstrat replicas, though that may actually do something small...

it wouldn't help that much but if there was a higher demand for guitars made in America it would create more jobs, but mostly for guys that got schooling to build guitars and other crap. but some janitors may be needed to clean up after more people and more security guards to keep an eye on things , any way my point is if America legalizes weed and sells it for a profit we would have a new cash crop and that would greatly help the economy.
Quote by jpo1992
it wouldn't help that much but if there was a higher demand for guitars made in America it would create more jobs, but mostly for guys that got schooling to build guitars and other crap. but some janitors may be needed to clean up after more people and more security guards to keep an eye on things , any way my point is if America legalizes weed and sells it for a profit we would have a new cash crop and that would greatly help the economy.

no.

all a company would do if they got more successful would be to increase output as much as it could in current factories and outsource anything else. why else do you think those companies got foreign factories in the first place? they could have just gotten another american factory.

plus with greater demand they could easily just not increase output, push up the prices of the existing models and keep production costs the same, making more profit.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 8, 2009,
If it says "American Standard" or "Gibson."

I don't know about other brands, I rarely look at or play anything but Epiphone.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by jpo1992
ya but the thing about weed would work

I'm gonna have to go with a "no".

Mostly because the manufacturers of this weed would be the ones making money, not the government. It wouldn't create that more many jobs. Just guessing though, somebody else can tell you for sure.
Quote by jpo1992
ya but the thing about weed would work

not really. the illegal dealers would already have a steady supply coming in and they're hardly the types to reinvest their money into anything but themselves or to even pay taxes.

also, you'd have to compete with foreign plantations producing lower cost and/or higher quality stuff.

Quote by element4433
Imo Japan makes the best guitars but that's only because i love ibanez so much. Categorizing guitars into countries is really not a great thing because there are a lot of inconsistencies from each country, and a lot of great stuff as well.
The cheapest quality made in USA guitar I know of is the Carvin Bolt kit. The hardtail with a SSS setup is $429 base price. Add a humbucker in the order and you'll have a super strat.

My Carvin Bolt which I upgraded it to $700 ($600 from Carvin and $100 when I added a custom made pickguard with HSH setup and a super switch) is very well made and seriously rivals $1K+ guitars.

You can't go wrong with this kit.

EDIT: mistaken on price, corrected.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Last edited by OldRocker at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by JackoMBA
You can usually tell when it's overpriced. I personally don't equate american made with quality.

+1

Cost of production is much higher in the US. Any quality advantage would come from (1) the values of the particular firm and (2) experience of the firm. Over time an offshore firm can collect enough experience and expertise to be competitive on quality. When this happens the difference usually comes down to prestige of the brand.
Quote by DSOTM80
New ones? Don't exist. For USA made thats new you're looking at $1000+, for older guitars it'll still be around the $500 mark, even if its 20 years old. For $250 you're looking at made in China and so on, out east. If its made in the USA it'll say in plain sight cause they'll want you to know and advertise it.

actually gibson have some guitars that are under 1000
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by jpo1992
how bout whats the best guitar under $300 from any country?

define best.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
used epiphone g-400 if you want a fatter sound
used fender standard mim telecaster if you want single coil sounds

if you want new, idk what guitar you could get for that price.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by jpo1992
how bout whats the best guitar under $300 from any country?

Without music preference and amp I cant tell you anything really.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Page 1 of 2