Hello,

So, I've read the reviews and I've tested out the guitars but I thought I'd seek the input of people in the know before I finally slap down the cash.

I'm looking at buying my first "brand-new" metal guitar. I've been playing for a long time but any guitar I've owned was a hand-me-down from family or friends and almost always seriously flawed. It's time for a nice, new, beast.

As a student, I don't have heaps of cash so at the moment I'm looking at:

S-320

Awesome guitar but only 22 frets

RG-370

Lower price, 24 frets but I hear it's not as well-built as the S-series and the tremolo isn't as good as the ZR (anyone have experience here?)

RG-T6EXFX

Gorgeous but no tremolo.

I'm just looking for feedback from those who may have had good or bad experience with any of these models. Hell, even if you want to say "STOP! Check out Jacksons!" I'm willing to listen as well. I'd just like to be as informed as possible before I shell out a few hundred

Thanks in advance guys!
I say the S320, as it's a great guitar (even if it's "only 22 frets") I live with the 22 on my S7320, and lots of others do. The trem is great for easy-adjustments and use of it is smooth and great. My favourite trem I've ever owned/played tbh
The trem on the RG370 on the other hand is just ****. The design of it is ok, but the use of cheap-metals in it make it not very good quality, and the knife edges and other parts of t wear out really easily and quite fast if you abuse trems.
The RGT6EXFX is another great guitar, which would be a great decision as well.
So if you MUST have 24 frets, the RGT6EXFX. If you want a trem (and a great one at that) The S320 on your list for sure.
what's your budget?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it

I'd say my budget is approx. $700 but I'd go higher for quality!
Quote by Izanami
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it

I'd say my budget is approx. $700 but I'd go higher for quality!

i have a RG1570 for sale if you're interested.

24 frets
Edge Pro bridge(very high quality, built like a tank)
it's a bolt on. not neck through but everything else is there
EDIT: i fixed the link
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062252
let me know
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Erm i think you put the wrong link there haha.

I just realized, you must be the guy that i emailed about trading my les paul for your RG, aren't ye? (@ SomebodySomeone)

HOLY ****! THAT WAS YOU!?!?!!?

Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Pac_man0123
Bwahahahaha small world eh?

p.s. sorry for off-topicness

sure is. i never thought i'd could've possibly ran into a UG'er in the real world
it really is a small world

TS, sorry to go off topic there. anyways i fixed the link to my RG. check it out
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
sure is. i never thought i'd could've possibly ran into a UG'er in the real world
it really is a small world

TS, sorry to go off topic there. anyways i fixed the link to my RG. check it out

Buy this its an awesome guitar plus hes one cool dude and one of my fellow ibanez enthusiasts here along with pacman.

But otherwise I would go with the S I hear they are great guitars for the money even though I love the RG series I cant recommend you to the 370 since its Edge 3 and Ive had some problems with mine I got 2 pro setups to get it right.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i have a RG1570 for sale if you're interested.

24 frets
Edge Pro bridge(very high quality, built like a tank)
it's a bolt on. not neck through but everything else is there
EDIT: i fixed the link
let me know

Go with this deal,if the price is reasonable and the guitar is in good condition,because that's the best you're probably going to find for your money.It's an MIJ prestige model so the quality is great.That guitar w/ DiMarzios = Epic ****ing Win.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Lethal Dosage
Buy this its an awesome guitar plus hes one cool dude and one of my fellow ibanez enthusiasts here along with pacman.

But otherwise I would go with the S I hear they are great guitars for the money even though I love the RG series I cant recommend you to the 370 since its Edge 3 and Ive had some problems with mine I got 2 pro setups to get it right.

thanks for backing me up
i keep forgetting to send both of you FR. i'll do that now
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Unless your set on using a certain tuning I wouldn't get a guitar with a Trem. Also IF you do get a guitar with a trem make sure it's a decent one of you'll have problems down the road.

The RG42T is a good guitar for the money, don't know if that interests you or not. If not I very much recommend an Iceman model, they're excellent versatile guitars. Although in the Iceman's case it's weather the shape is for you or not.

As with all cases it's best for you to shop around and try lots of different guitars, but your looking at Ibanez... So you're definitely on the right track.
Back in 1994 I got my first Ibanez, an RG570. I think the RG1570 is basically the same but now it says "Prestige" and instead of the bulky neck joint now it is more ergonomic.

But for the rest, pickups, shape, tremolo, pots, etc. I don't see any differences.

It was a GREAT guitar, very versatile and perfect for metal but also for "clean" playing.

Go check it.
STOP! Check out LTD's!

The 400, 500 and 1000 series are an unbeatable value. If you prefer Ibanez necks though, try to find a used Prestige. They're far ahead of their Korean counterparts. Also, ask yourself "do I need a tremolo?". Floating bridges can be a pain in the ass when you don't know how to set them up or change tunings often.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
STOP! Check out LTD's!

The 400, 500 and 1000 series are an unbeatable value. If you prefer Ibanez necks though, try to find a used Prestige. They're far ahead of their Korean counterparts. Also, ask yourself "do I need a tremolo?". Floating bridges can be a pain in the ass when you don't know how to set them up or change tunings often.

+1, I sold my ibanez rg 1570 for exactly that reason, because I couldn't stand retuning or restringing the damn thing.
Quote by CoreysMonster
+1, I sold my ibanez rg 1570 for exactly that reason, because I couldn't stand retuning or restringing the damn thing.

Its SO EASY though once you get the hang of it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Its SO EASY though once you get the hang of it.

Exactly.Once you become familiar with how a trem works it's not an issue at all.I don't understand why people would avoid a great guitar just because it has a trem.Why not educate yourself on how to take care of your instrument or uhm idk maybe block the trem?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Exactly.Once you become familiar with how a trem works it's not an issue at all.I don't understand why people would avoid a great guitar just because it has a trem.Why not educate yourself on how to take care of your instrument or uhm idk maybe block the trem?

Exactly but you get the hang of it pretty easily I remember the first time I tuned mine it took me like 20 minutes

But now it takes me like 5
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Exactly but you get the hang of it pretty easily I remember the first time I tuned mine it took me like 20 minutes

But now it takes me like 5

Yeah,it's not a big deal.Anyone that needs to know how to maintain one can just look at the FR set up sticky,I'm sure that thread has tons of info on them.