Ok iv been playing for 2 weeks to the day, i bought my electric guitar (ESP LTD F-50) last monday, been playing pretty much none stop... iv taught my self pretty much most the chords except for barre chords, taught myself the intro and the guitar solo to Smoke On The Water... but now i feel like I'm not making progress anymore, i still really enjoy playing/learning but I'm in this rut... anyone have some advice on how i can progress?
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
It's been 2 weeks,don't stress out about it.I get in ruts and I've been at it for 6 years,it happens.Try learning some basic scales and working on your alternate picking and things like that.You can also start learning other beginner level songs and pieces of music if that's your thing.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If I were you, I'd probably take a little break from guitar. Maybe work on my spelling a bit. And grammar. And punctuation. and stop using run-on sentences.

Or try learning something harder. Looks into some songs that play faster, more complex music. Maybe even learn some music theory?
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
trust me its hard to get over the initial bump of feeling like your going nowhere..

just keep practicing and just like magic, youll notice "damn im really improving"!

dont let your first 2-3 months get you down, just keep on chugging thorugh and instead of trying to learn songs like smoke on the water, learning just techniques although not always as fun can help you progress alot faster!
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
First of all, spell "feel" right.
Second, don't worry. You've only been playing for two weeks. You're sure to start finding new things soon. Try harder songs once you get the basics down. Maybe pick a few new solos to try. Also, branch out into different genres of music to gain a wide base. Maybe even get a teacher for a while. They always help push you in a constructive direction.
jsut keep going. its that simple. and wha ur experiencing is called a plateau. the same thing happens when working the same muscles (while weightlifting) day after day. work on another part of playing and just keep going. soon you will continue to learn.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Learn a bunch of theory. I've been playing for about 3.5 years and I am just going theory intensive now.

Are you telling me you already know the 192 chords (or however many there are) and all of their fingerings? That's pretty good for two weeks. I am jealous.

But yeah, start scales, chord progressions, etc. Buy a book teaching you all that if need be.
no not 192 chords of course but most of the main basic chords... and ppl need to stop criticizing my spelling and grammar.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
It just makes communication a little harder, that's all.

But you know like, G, C, D, E, Am, F, etc.

That's not bad for two weeks. Seriously though, do scales for a while. You'll thank yourself. I'm kicking myself, because I didn't learn earlier, so now I gotta go and work on it. Break bad habits, etc.
Quote by cronarct
and ppl need to stop criticizing my spelling and grammar.

Don't come on the internet and expect mercy.
Spend the next month mastering the skills you've already learned. Can you switch between all the chords smoothly? Can you actually play Smoke On The Water perfectly in time? With emotion? There is always improvement to be had, you don't need to be learning new things all the time, just get better at the thing you can do.
Also, maybe try creating your own songs with the chords you know.
You've been playing two weeks.. Big progress takes time. Though if you just play what you enjoy, and fool around with the guitar for a few months, before going into specific things, you'll get more a feel of your guitar, and build up fingerspeed and just gonna be alot more comfortable..

That's what i did.. Then again.. I'm no guitar god.. But i'd still say, to you as a new player. Play what you enjoy playing, doodle and find funny little things, riffs and whatever.
You don't have to look into more advanced things for now, just play what has meaning for you.

But that's my none-shredzor view on it all.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Crazymike100
If I were you, I'd probably take a little break from guitar. Maybe work on my spelling a bit. And grammar. And punctuation. and stop using run-on sentences.

Or try learning something harder. Looks into some songs that play faster, more complex music. Maybe even learn some music theory?

IRONY METER OVERLOAD!
Two weeks? Not really that long, so just keep playing simple songs, and do your best to improve in every area. You're not going to be amazing after that short of a time, so dont worry.

Ruts are very common by the way, I get stuck in them all the time, I normally look for new bands to get me out of them.

The most recent band I found that pulled me out is Nevermore.

Give em a look, get inspired to be as good as Jeff Loomis.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Two weeks?

I've been playing 4 years, and I've been in "ruts" for weeks at a time.

A) Take lessons.

B) Smoke weed to increase your appreciation for music.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
honestly i would love to take lessons but my financial situation does not permit it

and drugs are bad!!! not weed so much but i can't afford that either!

Back on subject, of course I don't expect to be good yet, it just feels like I'm going no where lol.

But i will take some of the advice givin and learn some scales and try to perfect what i know so far

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Learn your scales. It will really help you in the long run.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
Quote by cronarct
Ok iv been playing for 2 weeks to the day, i bought my electric guitar (ESP LTD F-50) last monday, been playing pretty much none stop... iv taught my self pretty much most the chords except for barre chords, taught myself the intro and the guitar solo to Smoke On The Water... but now i feel like I'm not making progress anymore, i still really enjoy playing/learning but I'm in this rut... anyone have some advice on how i can progress?

keep playing bro.

pick up some tabs and start playing along with songs...it's exciting and will get your creative juices flowing
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
It took me about 6 months to get over the "I'm not getting anywhere" bump.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Crazymike100

"And punctuation. and stop using run-on sentences."

"Looks into some songs that play faster, more complex music."

I'm only being a grammar nazi because you're being a dick. Songs that play faster, more complex music? In what universe is that a plausible answer to any question? Dumb ape.
Last edited by DEATHPANDA at Feb 9, 2009,