How do you all feel about Melodic Death Metal Bassists? Do you think there is much skill required to be one other than speed?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
As in any genre, some are bad, some are good, but acording to my bassist friend, metal bass tends to be easier than funky slap bass type stuff.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
In truth, I find it way harder to play at higher speeds and all around the neck than to slap or pop.

Melodic Death tends to have some hard stuff (but it is not the hardest metal form to play.) I think that trying to play it off like there is no skill in playing that kind of music at the kind of speed is really missing the entire concept of playing ability. It takes a lot of stamina and a lot of skill to do it. No doubt here.
Quote by master2sexy
As in any genre, some are bad, some are good, but acording to my bassist friend, metal bass tends to be easier than funky slap bass type stuff.

Yep, thats quite tru imo.

However, in my experience a good metal bass player can take me from thinking a band is ok to fanboy levels of love for the band. (Obscura, Anata, Veil of Pnath, Within Y)

I'va always like Jukka Koskinen's work in Norther ... the guy from CoB isnt bad either. Eh i guess i dont know much other than the starter stuff involving melodeth( Tech/progdeath is where its at ^^). Theyve got skill though cause its really tough to play as fast as most metal players end up playing and still be as accurate as they have to be.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Feb 8, 2009,
Some are interesting, some are boring. Same as any other genre.
Quote by master2sexy

your friend is stupid.

I hate metal. but in the time it takes to learn Scarified's first half, someone could learn Fly Away, Higher Ground, and Let it Whip.

I hate generalizations when I'm tired. and don't 'melodic death isn't that' my comment, this joker just said metal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For some reason, every now and then you'll see melodic metal bass players who somehow obtain insanely gifted jazz bassists, like every band Steve Digiorigio has been in, and Opeth (yes im aware of their prog/blues/jazz/world music leanings, but even they say they are firmly rooted in death metal).

But that being said, alot are lackluster, and some seem to have adapted a modern mainstream hip hop approach to bass (i.e. non existent mids or hi's, just glass rattling vibration.) Just face it, there are relatively few extremely motivated bass players out there who are capable of taking on the enourmous task of making their own "voice" in the aural onslaught that is modern death metal.

Is it just me, or is there alot of "best extreme metal" bass related threads?

Quote by master2sexy

Your friend listens to too much RHCP. Or Primus. Those seem to be the only bands bass players my age ever associate with bass playing, because if you dont slap, your not playing bass! Your just playing an instrument!
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.