I like art. Obviously music mostly, but other stuff also. Paintings, for instance. I don't know what to really look for to tell if a piece is good. I just assume that if it strikes me and impacts me in some way, subtly or aggressively, it's good. But isn't there more to it than that? Some form of guidelines?

And how about other forms of art, like sculpting. I guess that's more rigid and technical in many ways. But what sets apart a well sculpted statue from a true work of art?

Also feel free to post your favorite pieces, if you want. Share why you like them.
We're only strays.
I like Crazy Stairs
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder

me personaly if something can "touch" me
i think its good art
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
I'm not a fan of sculpture. Obviouslly its impressive and a sign of good craftsmanship. But a painting, I find, is infinitely more interesting and allows the artist more flexibility (color, brushstroke, texture, etc.)

There are no guidelines for apreciating art. Simply go to an exhibit, museum, or gallery and take a look and see what you like. I'm a fan of landscapes.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
obviously, if you take part in painting, you will appreciate it much more then just a bystander. its like being a guitar player. we respect guys like sach and petrucci and vai because we understand the technicality of their music and their great song writing as a normal person would just simply think "lol wuttt this haz no lyriczzz"? i would assume the same applies with art. if you actually do it, you have more of an understanding of how hard it is to do certain things..
Well, you pretty much just said it yourself. If it has an impact on you.
That's pretty much why we have art, to express our feelings, get out a message, and make people just go wow. I don't think there are any guidelines for "great art".
This is my sig
i love psychedelic art. i guess drugs could bring that stuff out to appreciate it? but its all opinion. plenty of people are anti-drug and hate hippies lol

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
I also like shit like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQ-t5r0UVs

The music is dope funk nasty too
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by in2thesun88
I am a visual art student and I can say that it is up to the viewer. It is part of the problem with being a student of art because what you find good may not be what your art teacher finds good. I am a fan of realism, my paintings and drawings are all as lifelike as I can get them and I fail to see how abstract is so amazing, and when I have a teacher who likes abstract work we tend to clash when it comes to critiques and ideas and such. It is how you perceive it which determines how good it is, aside from the obvious signs of being bad art i.e. it looks like a 1st grader painted it.

Well, I'm assuming you know all about Picasso and how he started out at a young age as a remarkable realist painter. He had to be on to something! Personally I'm a fan of abstract. The thing is, it's very hard to find an abstract piece that really strikes a chord. Now I'm not too fond of stuff like that one guy with the piece that has melted clocks... he's Indian. Can't remember his name. That stuff doesn't really say anything to me.

But anyways I can see how that would add an interesting dynamic to class.
We're only strays.
Quote by in2thesun88
Salvatore Dahli I believe is who you are referencing with the clocks. And yes I am aware that Picasso started as a realist. Still doesn't mean I am a fan of his work. There isn't a single abstract piece that has ever made me go "wow!". I am a fan of surrealism, which is what the Melting Clocks are, which is often confused for abstract. It is an abstract idea, but the work is more realism than anything which is why I love surrealism. My favorite artist, besides my great grandfather's amazing works, is Zdzislaw Beksinski.

I see why that is considered more realism. And yes, that's the one. It just seems to me like most who would prefer surrealism would really be able to appreciate abstract stuff if they just dug a bit deeper into it. However I also think it probably isn't that easy to find an abstract work that hits you the right way. They're pretty specific in subtle ways. I mean you're just looking at it and it's purpose is basicly to pull feelings out of you. But then again that's something that a realism painting could do as well. So it's understandably hard for people to immediately appreciate the certain inherent vagueness.

BTW I googled Zdzislaw Beksinski and it's quite spectacular. What kind of stuff did your great grandfather do?
We're only strays.
Be educated in it. Take a course in Art History.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I was never really into paintings until I this year when I began taking European history. We've done a couple sections on Art throughout its different phases from the 1500's on. Very interesting and eye opening.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Salvador Dali (Who's Spanish, not Indian) has some of the best art i've seen. I just can't appreciate any art depicting everyday things.
Quote by in2thesun88
Thats what I do art for, is feelings. My artwork is very dark and almost depressing because I feel sadness, anger, despair, etc. are feelings that grab people deeper than a happy work. My great grandfather did all realism. He painted everything from observation, sculptures, pictures, he even did a few big versions of the Mona Lisa which are amazing.

I see why you like Zdzislaw Beksinski. Definitely bleak. What's a big version? Just what it sounds like?
We're only strays.