Well, today was my first time going to one, theres none even relatively close to me so I haven't got a chance. Well, I brought a decent guitar there, and I go to test out the amps. I tested some VHT, an Egnater, a Marshall JVM, A Marshall reissue, A Peavey JSX, a 6505, and a half broken Randall 300W halfstack. Well I'm not a noob and neither a pro when it comes to amps, but the only thing I liked was the half broke randall. I've been hearing good things about all these other amps, but I mean my 250$ practice amp sounded better to me than all of these. I didn't have any at a loud volume because I didn't wanna bother anyone, but is it just me or are these amps really that bad?

those are tube amp they sound better at loud volumes................... and the randall is most likely to be an SS amp and did you EQ all the other amps you tried.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Everyone has their own tastes, I personally hate GC.

I was there once and this kid was with his dad trying out guitars and this kid was recommending his dad a PRS (which is cool), but they were there for hours and hours trying it out on a Marshall MG 15. I didn't want to play a Tele on a Fender Blues Junior right next to them and disturb them.

I left and came back from the bank to buy a pedal, that's why I knew they were there for hours.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
They're not bad at low volumes. I still prefer my HRD on 2 compared to a lot of comparably priced SS amps.

There are many reasons those could sound like ****, that was probably only one of the many.

I'm not here to defend them or anything, though. Whatever sounds good to you, sounds good to you, and you should go for it. I just don't think you should judge based on that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Like Exo said, it could have been a number of things.

EQ'ing may have played a part as well.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Guitar Center is the only place I can to go try things out.

The local music shop is a great place and the people there are great, but all they have are a bunch of old Fenders for amps. The best they have is a Crate V50, everything else doesn't interest me. They have some nice guitars though. The best ones I have seen were a Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez RG350, and so on.

But yeah, I just go to Guitar Center to try out amps, effects, and guitars I have never played before. I also buy things there when I have money to buy them.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
You probably don't know how to eq/have no ear for tone/ didn't have the amps loud enough/ were using the wrong amp for whatever genre you were after.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I live near Humbucker Music. Now that is a good local music store.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Just with my little 5-watt Blackheart, I have found that tweaking stuff is way more important with tube amps. EQ, Volume, guitar volume, pickup, tone knobs, and how you actually play the instrument are all magnified in how they effect the sound.

If you've got a Best Buy with a guitar section, mine has a (partially) isolated "noise room" where you can try some heads at decently loud volumes.
^Both the guitar centers in my area have loud room, I'd think that all GCs would.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
idk why people say that tube amps are bad at low volume...they sound great at low, and they sound even better at louder. I think most people say "I tried these expensive amps and this cheap ss amp and the ss was better" all the time because they feel that the tube amps were over priced and I dont want to say that it happent to you, but people are cheap, and it affects what they "hear."
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
What Marshall reissue was this.

I seriously have a hard time believing a Marshall reissue could possibly sound worse than a little practice amp.
Quote by Jack Carver
Just with my little 5-watt Blackheart, I have found that tweaking stuff is way more important with tube amps. EQ, Volume, guitar volume, pickup, tone knobs, and how you actually play the instrument are all magnified in how they effect the sound.

If you've got a Best Buy with a guitar section, mine has a (partially) isolated "noise room" where you can try some heads at decently loud volumes.

I found that too.

Unfortunately for most people, we have crappy GC's that only have the showfloors. No "loud rooms" to test stuff out in, and most Best Buys don't have a music section. Well, ok, they kind of do, but they carry Starcaster starter packs.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
no nice music stores in inland empire besides GC
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
After reading this thread, I thank God that I live within walking distance of five good independent guitar stores.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales