Page 1 of 2
I don't know why but I can't stand songs without a guitar solo. It just feels so empty and unsatisfying even if the rest of the song has a guitar playing melodic notes in the background. I have maybe 1-2 songs out of my hundreds without a guitar solo.
.... . / .-- .... --- / -- .- -.- . ... / .- / -... . .- ... - / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... .. -- ... . .-.. ..-. / --. . - ... / .-. .. -.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .--. .- .. -. / --- ..-. / -... . .. -. --. / .- / -- .- -. .-.-.-
Depends if I like the song or not...
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
I don't give a f*ck whether there is a guitar solo or not.

I focus on the overall songs, not how technical it is.

You can't like punk in general if you care about technicality.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
About half of the songs I listen to don't have solos. Some I find really good, like Staind's 14 Shades of Grey, not a solo on it but it is still good IMO. A song doesn't need a solo to be successful. When I write I, I can usually feel if a solo is necessary or not.
I am liking the Killers, Band of horses, John lennon, Neil young, John Denver, Rise against, Strung out, and Tom petty at the moment! and there is not too much guitar riffage or lead work! just good songs.
Most of mine doesn't I can't listen to metalcore if it doesn't have a solo though, it feels weird having a super heavy song without a solo.
Well i listen to a lot of Tool so i can listen to any band that doesn't play solos.

Bedit: I'm watching Tool live at Sacramento and this is what Maynard just said:

Maynard: I noticed you people aren't naked and fucking. That's a problem. If you're to intimidated or just too damn ugly to find a partner, do it yourself.

God i love him.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Feb 8, 2009,
I meant metal song by the way. I wasn't really thinking while I was typing up the post.
.... . / .-- .... --- / -- .- -.- . ... / .- / -... . .- ... - / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / .... .. -- ... . .-.. ..-. / --. . - ... / .-. .. -.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .--. .- .. -. / --- ..-. / -... . .. -. --. / .- / -- .- -. .-.-.-
about half of the songs on my library dont have solos and they dont need them

solos are not always necessary and not all technically difficult songs are good, for example: through the fire and flames is one of the worst songs ever, in my opinion

in fact, most of the really technically difficult songs suck, except steve vai songs, he simply is a god
Quote by tmfiore
I don't give a f*ck whether there is a guitar solo or not.

I focus on the overall songs, not how technical it is.

You can't like punk in general if you care about technicality.

Isn't it sad how that is changing?
I listen to LOG alot and I LOVE them They only have a few solos like Ashes of the Wake and such (btw that song is an orgasm in 5 minutes )

Please use tags for tabs....
50% of the time

EDIT: oh for metal, like 10-15% of the time my metal has no solo.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Depends on the band and if I like the song...

I don't really care so much for the solo in a song, I don't use it as a variable for deciding songs that I listen to...
Often. One of my favorite songs doesnt have one. Snuff -Slipknot. As long as the song doesnt suck penor why not listen to it?
Hmm.. Let's see. Prog rock mostly has solos for emotional emphasis. I am a guitarist and love 'em. But for metal, I listen for the atmosphere or emotion created by riffs. So solos aren't really necessary.
Sounds like you have a problem. Most music out there doesn't have guitar solos. Sounds like you should expand your musical taste.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
A lot of my favorite bands have songs without solos. Solos aren't a big deal for me if they're there that's fine, if they're not that's fine as well, it's better than forcing a solo where it doesn't belong.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
I would estimate 70% of the music I listen to does without a guitar solo. I would suggest expanding your horizons musically.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
There are songs without solos?

It does seem at the moment people are putting solos in any song just becasue they are cool again. If a song has a solo it should be because it adds to the song and not ' LOOK AT ME SWEEP PICK'.
Quite often.

Some people can pull off playing wicked sweet guitar solos.
Some people can't.

But then again, some people can pull off writing amazing songs.
Some people can't.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Most of the stuff I listen to doesn't. I like a good guitar solo as much as anyone but too many bands think you need to shove one in every damn song whether or not it fits.
dont really like solos esp when im playing my guitar i find that its way better to just make up your own solos and throw them in a song cause a solo is just really what you want to play at the time. listen to jimi hendrix's songs there solos are always diffrent and they always sound good.
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
Quite often. I listen to a lot of folk music, and every now and then there is a solo of some sort, but not everytime.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Berlin2222
I don't know why but I can't stand songs without a guitar solo. It just feels so empty and unsatisfying even if the rest of the song has a guitar playing melodic notes in the background. I have maybe 1-2 songs out of my hundreds without a guitar solo.

Guitar solos are the worst part of a song.

I think about 1% of the music I listen to has a solo and that means Im listening to it IN SPITE of the solo.
I've been here since '04.

Very, very often.
I don't really care. Solos are nice but only when they fit in. A lot of the times I find a song would be fine without some random lame solo in it, other times the solo just fits in perfectly and sounds amazing.
Great example- Selkies by BTBAM.
It would definately feel like something was missing if it did not have the solo in it.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
...it's music dude, open your damn mind.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
most of the music i listen to doesnt even have guitars.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Most music I listen to doesn't have any guitar in it and the ones with guitar solos in it are jazz solos that have equal role with the other instruments.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Berlin2222

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

But I really don't care if there's a solo or not. As long as the song sounds good to me I'll listen to it.
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Page 1 of 2