So I can get new pickups. Which ones should I get though? I know my amp isn't the best but it's a nice little beast and pickups are the only upgrade I can afford right now, GFS ones at that lol. So what I'm looking for is presence but not ice picking highs just pickups that cut through a band situation, a nice tight bass, and articulation. Articulation is pretty important to me because I really want to improve my chops so if they show my mistakes I'll clean em up and when I do I'll hear each note ring through. The VEH look good and so do the Crunchy Rails (the Bandit has enough gain already). But any other suggestions and I'll check em out.
If pickup quality is really THAT important, you may want to save up a bit more, I'm not saying that GFS is bad for the price (they're actually quite good for the price), but you can definitely do better.
I'm actually getting a Fat Pat tomorrow to put in a project guitar, so I'll comment on them then.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Feb 8, 2009,
Thanks. But my mom actually said she's willing to spend enough for me to get pickups I won't complain about later on haha. So I can get something like Dimarzio's or Seymour Duncan's. Any recommendations? I've heard good things about D-Activators.
If you want something with a lot of articulation, I'd stray away from high output pickups.
If you want articulation, then classic type of PAF's would be good. Try out the VEH's, they look nice and tell us how it goes if you get them! Like al ^^ said, get lower output pickups.
^yep, there are tons of PAF types out there and variations and if you have the funds to get the best, there is no reason not to go for the best.

And amp matters, seriously, there is no point in going out there and spending $300 on Lollars or WCRs if you're playing through a cheap practice amp. It will still sound pretty bad.
Yeah I know the amp matters but the thing is I can't afford a nice amp right now. I will invest in the amp in the future (probably in the summer) when I can afford it but the pickups I have now are rather problematic. So if it comes down to it I might get the VEH's and maybe a push pull configuration? I like to play some versatile music on my spare time but the band is kind of strict on what I can bring to the table.
Quote by al112987
If you want something with a lot of articulation, I'd stray away from high output pickups.

Im not normally one to start a fight, but I have to disagree with this statement... There are lots of high gain pickups that have amazing articulation... A good one is the DiMarzio Evo's, Tone Zones, Breeds, and Steve's Specials.... I happen to like all four of those models and they all have very nice articulation despite being a higher output pickup... Im sure there are other models as well, however those were the first to pop into my head...
I've had a set of their VEH pickups in my Jackson DXMG for a couple months now and they're amazing for the price. The neck pickup is pure sex. They're very dynamic when you mess with the volume and tone knobs. Hotter than vintage pups but not muddy-hot.
Quote by maggot2011
It's not exactly 24 hours but close enough. So which high output pickups have great articulation, a nice tight bass, and presence.

DiMarzio Super distortion
DiMarzio D Activator
DiMarzio Evo
DiMarzio Steve's Special

BKP Cold Sweat
BKP Miracle man
BKP Pain Killer

Any rock monkey neobucker

Anything by EMG

Any of the Bill Lawrence High output ceramic pickups

Thats just a few options and there are a whole lot more. If you want to narrow things down we need more details about how you want to sound.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
DiMarzio Super distortion
DiMarzio D Activator
DiMarzio Evo
DiMarzio Steve's Special

BKP Cold Sweat
BKP Miracle man
BKP Pain Killer

Any rock monkey neobucker

Anything by EMG

Any of the Bill Lawrence High output ceramic pickups

Thats just a few options and there are a whole lot more. If you want to narrow things down we need more details about how you want to sound.

I hate to hijack but out of curiosity, which of your pickups best gets THIS tone in the neck? The vintage original or blackback?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yer-XGyZoYk&feature=channel_page
Quote by yoyodunno
Damn that was a nice sound, I don't usually hear neck pickups that bright.

I know, it's really reminiscent of a Jimmy Page neck tone which I'm obsessed with. The top end just sings.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I hate to hijack but out of curiosity, which of your pickups best gets THIS tone in the neck? The vintage original or blackback?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yer-XGyZoYk&feature=channel_page

Thats more like my vintage original. You can tell it's got a very gritty quality to it and there is a lot of upper midrange for that old clapton or page kinda tone. My blackback would be clearer and more open but wouldn't be as warm and fuzzy.
Not taking any online orders.