v v v ^ ^ ^ v v v ^ ^ ^
E|-----5-3---------1-0------
B|---6-----5-----3-----1----
G|-7---------5-3---------0--
D|--------------------------
A|--------------------------
E|--------------------------

In that example after I play the lets say the D on the G string and im getting ready to sweep the F on the B string. Do I have to lift my finger off the 7th fret of the G string or do I keep it on?
Well, that depends on how long you want the note to sound, doesn't it? If you want each note to sound independently with no overlapping, then of course you'll have to lift your finger off the string or mute it with your picking hand. If you want the notes to overlap, then you leave your finger on the string until you want it to stop sounding.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
Well, that depends on how long you want the note to sound, doesn't it? If you want each note to sound independently with no overlapping, then of course you'll have to lift your finger off the string or mute it with your picking hand. If you want the notes to overlap, then you leave your finger on the string until you want it to stop sounding.

Seeing as though it's a question about sweeping then yes, he does have to take his finger off the second he plays the next note, otherwise it'd be more than one note ringing out, which isn't technically sweeping.

TS: Play it like a scale with the left hand. One note at a time as you would any scale. It's syncing the right hand sweeping motion with it (rather than picking separately like a scale) which will be hard.
if I had to sweep that, Id do it like this:

3 first notes (D F A), pinky ring middle

3 next (G E C), index, ring, ring (ring finger rolling)

3 next (A# D F), middle, middle, index (middle finger rolling)

3 last notes (E C G), *air*, index (muting high E string), *air*

will try it later at home, seems hard

EDIT: yes dude, if you sweep, you always have to mute the previous note, with your left or right hand, if Im sweeping downwards, I mute with right hand, upwards I mute with left hand
Last edited by Gacel at Feb 9, 2009,