Hey UG, Im going to guitar center this weekend and Im basically worried as hell. I've never been to a large store to try out a guitar and I'm not sure how I should go about trying the guitars I want. I'm not a great player and I'm afriad I'll just embarress myself. Especially because I'll be trying out some American fenders.

So anyone have any helpful advice when buying for the first time? Thanks guys appreciate your time.
keep the volume low. other than that, just ignore people. Just play the songs you know you can play. But don't butcher any really good songs. You'll be fine.
Don't let the people there try to sell you stuff and believe them!
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
get what you want, play what you want.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
you'll be fine. there will probably be little kids there that think that they're the ****. its your job to show them up and shatter their dreams.
yeah man, the guy that said ignore people was right. ive played a good long while and still dont like playing guitars in those stores. dont feel like you need to impress anyone though, just concentrate on the guitar the amp and really think about what you want to buy, youll never see anyone in there again anyways
dont go to Guitar Center for guitars, they are all fcked up in some way whether it be scratches, dents, messed up hardware etc. only thing to get at guitar center is strings, pedals, straps, picks, and **** like that. but as for playing stuff, play wat u kno your good at, and just dont pay any attention to other people,, who cares wat they think. thats how i look at it.
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
Thanks for all the replies so far.
There is a Sam ash literally 50 feet from the GC so I'll check both places. SamAsh always seemed less full of assholes.
Ain't that the God-damned truth.

But yeah, just forget aout all the other people. Just forget that there's anyone else around. It helps a lot. After six years, I still get self-conscious sometimes, but just be proud of what you're playing. To be insecure about your playing is to submit to your own failure. Build off of that failure to really strive forward.

I'm getting all sentimental, **** this.
I'll echo what everyone else said, but add:
Seriously, you're looking at USA Fenders, so you're about to drop, what, $1000? Play what you want, even if it sounds like sh!t, if it helps you judge the guitar. You'll never see these people again. Even if they point and laugh, who cares, you'll probably be keeping the guitar for YEARS, deal with the 30 minutes of awkwardness.

Also: This is kinda a douchey thing to do, but I did it with my GC guitar: Find the style of guitar you want by playing the demo models, then ask if they have one in a box. If they do, take it out of the box, and play that one. Then, if you like that one, buy it.
Quote by JustinHorne
I'll echo what everyone else said, but add:
Seriously, you're looking at USA Fenders, so you're about to drop, what, $1000? Play what you want, even if it sounds like sh!t, if it helps you judge the guitar. You'll never see these people again. Even if they point and laugh, who cares, you'll probably be keeping the guitar for YEARS, deal with the 30 minutes of awkwardness.

Also: This is kinda a douchey thing to do, but I did it with my GC guitar: Find the style of guitar you want by playing the demo models, then ask if they have one in a box. If they do, take it out of the box, and play that one. Then, if you like that one, buy it.

No doing that isnt really douchey imo guitars can vary even if its the same model.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
As has been said, buying a fender means you are looking for a guitar to more or less invest in, meaning keep it over a fairly long period of time. Go look at some tabs and learn a few songs that will be easy to remember before you go. I was really scared the first time I went in there. I couldn't really play, but I learned a few tabs before I went and it was fine. Its not like people are going to come up to you and criticize you. Most people don't even care about your skill level. Just go in there and play what you want and be sure to really thoroughly play and try out the guitar before buying it.