Hello guys,

I'm decided to expand and improve my guitar gear arsenal really soon, and I want to get really good stuff this time. I don't want anything cheap that won't give me the quality sound I'm looking for.

This time I need quality cables for my guitar. I've been reading and there are so many brands out there that it is hard to come up with one specific one. However, I was thinking about Monster cables.

What do you think?

Thank you beforehand,

kRem

PS: You could check my site's videos to get an idea of what I'm into.
I have a monster cable and I must say it is the most durable cable I have used. I have gone through more cables than I wish to count, but that Monster cable has been solid for me. That would be my suggestion without telling you to go out and buy a cable that is over $80.
George L cable > than everything else I've tried. Just buy however many feet you need and solder the jacks on your self.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Mogami

Monster is ok and has a good warranty, but they really are not the greatest cables.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
Mogami

Monster is ok and has a good warranty, but they really are not the greatest cables.

Hey, I'm intrigued about Mogami cables. What else can you tell me about them? I'm really looking for the best without spending a lot. Something good for Gigs, recording, etc. Quality stuff...
planet waves
made by d'addario, cant go wrong, and any cable with 95% + filtering with gold or silver(as in the actual metals gold and silver not the colour) jacks should be exceptional.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by kremo5le
Hey,

I have seen those before. But, are they not that good since the price is kinda low? What can you tell about them more specifically?

they're custom pro cables are AMAZING quality, I just use the custom ones though, they're great.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by JimmyBanks6
planet waves
made by d'addario, cant go wrong, and any cable with 95% + filtering with gold or silver(as in the actual metals gold and silver not the colour) jacks should be exceptional.

Hey bro, you give an excellent description here. I should base my search on this now!

Thanks!
I have both monster and planet waves. I prefer planet waves, the connectors are really nice, they snap into place. I have heard nothing but good things about mogami as well, but I thought they were kinda pricey
Mogami Gold series

I've broken 7 Monster Cables during touring: etc. All of them had the same thing happen. The friggin plugs snapped off

Both have lifetime warranty though
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
There are a lot of variables that go into cable making, and you should take as many of them as possible into consideration before jumping into buying something that might not suit your needs.

Obviously you've noticed that there are dozens of brands of cables, and that many of these brands have several different cables at several different price points. Naturally the higher priced cables from any given company represent a better product with lower capacitance, better shielding, and higher quality connectors. Other things such as oxygen-free copper, solid cores, and self-shorting plugs also greatly influence cable pricing. There are a few things to take into consideration when choosing your cable:

1. A well constructed, hand soldered cable will take far more abuse and sound better than a manufactured version of the same thing. Monster cable has had problems with plugs breaking off in the past, you don't hear of the same problems coming from guys like the DVCC. Regarding "off the shelf" cables, you'll get better solder joints with Mogami than just about anything else, but you'll get even better quality if you order your Mogami from Lava Cable (where it's hand assembled in house) than if you buy it at Guitar Center (where it's assembled at the Mogami factory).

2. Capacitance is important, but not all powerful. A lot of cables are marketed on having very low capacitance, which means the cable will let more of high frequency through. Naturally this is a good thing, but depending upon the innate frequency response of the cable, it may result in an unnaturally bright sounding cable (why a lot of people don't like George L's). As a frame of reference the capacitance of the Mogami 2524 (the cable used in Mogami Gold) is 37 pf/ft, the Lava Cable ELC has been measured as low as 15 pf/ft, George L's is about 21 pf/ft, Mogami Platinum is around 23 pf/ft.

3. G&H plugs really are better than anything else on the market. Neutrik and Switchcraft are nothing to laugh at (and certainly higher quality than any stock Monster plug), but they lack the conductivity and flexibility that you get from G&H stuff. Neutrik has a large footprint plug with plastic casing that is (IMO) a close second, but still takes a back seat to the G&H.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I prefer Planet Waves over Monster myself.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Bloodshed
Mogami Gold series

I've broken 7 Monster Cables during touring: etc. All of them had the same thing happen. The friggin plugs snapped off

Both have lifetime warranty though

I see brother. I think the hype about Monster cables is kinda high. I will definitely go for PW now. However, what model, if yo don't mind me ask you, is the best?
Quote by Kendall
There are a lot of variables that go into cable making, and you should take as many of them as possible into consideration before jumping into buying something that might not suit your needs.

Obviously you've noticed that there are dozens of brands of cables, and that many of these brands have several different cables at several different price points. Naturally the higher priced cables from any given company represent a better product with lower capacitance, better shielding, and higher quality connectors. Other things such as oxygen-free copper, solid cores, and self-shorting plugs also greatly influence cable pricing. There are a few things to take into consideration when choosing your cable:

1. A well constructed, hand soldered cable will take far more abuse and sound better than a manufactured version of the same thing. Monster cable has had problems with plugs breaking off in the past, you don't hear of the same problems coming from guys like the DVCC. Regarding "off the shelf" cables, you'll get better solder joints with Mogami than just about anything else, but you'll get even better quality if you order your Mogami from Lava Cable (where it's hand assembled in house) than if you buy it at Guitar Center (where it's assembled at the Mogami factory).

2. Capacitance is important, but not all powerful. A lot of cables are marketed on having very low capacitance, which means the cable will let more of high frequency through. Naturally this is a good thing, but depending upon the innate frequency response of the cable, it may result in an unnaturally bright sounding cable (why a lot of people don't like George L's). As a frame of reference the capacitance of the Mogami 2524 (the cable used in Mogami Gold) is 37 pf/ft, the Lava Cable ELC has been measured as low as 15 pf/ft, George L's is about 21 pf/ft, Mogami Platinum is around 23 pf/ft.

3. G&H plugs really are better than anything else on the market. Neutrik and Switchcraft are nothing to laugh at (and certainly higher quality than any stock Monster plug), but they lack the conductivity and flexibility that you get from G&H stuff. Neutrik has a large footprint plug with plastic casing that is (IMO) a close second, but still takes a back seat to the G&H.

Wow! You put some much in here; thanks! This is more or less what I was looking for too. I see a lot of people like Planet Waves, and I want to give them a try, yet you have defined the technical stuff which will help me finding the best and also understand about it.

Thank you!

kRem
Quote by kremo5le
Hey there, I included the link because Circuit Breaker PW cables seems to be different than Custom PW cables. If you are so smart, please explain!

Waiting for your answer...

kRem

The circuit breaker cables have are identical in cable construction, but the plugs have a little button you press to the circuit(if that makes sense? It like stops the sound from going through)

They are the same cable. I have no need for the circuit breaker IMO is just another thing that could break. I'd say get PW because of the warranty, if anything breaks on it I can walk into my local store no receipt and they'll give me a new cable! no questions asked!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
The circuit breaker cables have are identical in cable construction, but the plugs have a little button you press to the circuit(if that makes sense? It like stops the sound from going through)

They are the same cable. I have no need for the circuit breaker IMO is just another thing that could break. I'd say get PW because of the warranty, if anything breaks on it I can walk into my local store no receipt and they'll give me a new cable! no questions asked!

I see, I see... I know about the circuit breaker, but I wanted to know the difference between the high end CB with the hign end custom. I guess there's none besides the button...

Man, THANK YOU!
Quote by kremo5le
I see, I see... I know about the circuit breaker, but I wanted to know the difference between the high end CB with the hign end custom. I guess there's none besides the button...

Man, THANK YOU!

and for the custom vs custom pro, the custom is just a slightly lower quality cable, but still has a lifetime warranty!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
and for the custom vs custom pro, the custom is just a slightly lower quality cable, but still has a lifetime warranty!

You are the man! Thank you very much for assisting me all the way through. I now know what I need and I will look for that: Planet Waves!

I'm going to start working on my music more and more and I just want to have the best whenever possible.

THANKS!

kRemstudios - San Diego Based Rock Band
for the record, when it comes to instrument cables, gold and silver do nothing really.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
First off, the genre you play shouldn't really affect your cable choice, since you're going to want to go for the most transparent one anyway.

Not tried them, but George L get fantastic reviews. I personally would avoid Monster. Mogami and Planet Waves are also good choices.

I would go for George L TBH.
Quote by chea_man
for the record, when it comes to instrument cables, gold and silver do nothing really.

This is true. Only Eric Johnson would notice a difference in the jack metal.
For it to have a reasonable effect, the whole cable should be made of Gold.
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
First off, the genre you play shouldn't really affect your cable choice, since you're going to want to go for the most transparent one anyway.

Not tried them, but George L get fantastic reviews. I personally would avoid Monster. Mogami and Planet Waves are also good choices.

I would go for George L TBH.

This is true. Only Eric Johnson would notice a difference in the jack metal.
For it to have a reasonable effect, the whole cable should be made of Gold.

Hey everybody,

It's amazing how people would suggest to stay away Monster cables over and over. Are they really that bad? Well, I really don't care. I will focus on getting Planet Waves cables only.
Planet Waves is my personal favorite. Easily the lowest price of the high quality cables. Lifetime warranty, great tone, well built.

Monster is a rather horrible company as is, not to mention their product is mediocre. Their plugs are slightly oversized to make a tighter fit in the guitar jack. This causes the guitar jack to only fit monster cables.

Dimarzio builds a great cable if you're looking at spending less than $30 on a cable.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Planet Waves is my personal favorite. Easily the lowest price of the high quality cables. Lifetime warranty, great tone, well built.

Monster is a rather horrible company as is, not to mention their product is mediocre. Their plugs are slightly oversized to make a tighter fit in the guitar jack. This causes the guitar jack to only fit monster cables.

Dimarzio builds a great cable if you're looking at spending less than $30 on a cable.

You got an excellent point here my friend. What Monster does sucks, and I don't want to damage my guitar in any way. Moreover, I want to spend good money on excellent cables. Not looking to go back on the 2 X $3.99 cheap cables.

Thanks!

kRemstudios