So I have a few good ideas for drums for my new song, I try to write em down in Guitar Pro, then I try to listen to them along with the rest of my song to see if they sound good and bam, no MIDI sound. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, I'd just go down to the taskbar and bring up the volume controls and put MIDI sound back on. However, I can't do this because I have some virus that makes my desktop and taskbar disappear, also I can't use the windows button on my keyboard so that nulls out using the control panel to change the volume. (even if I try to open control panel using ctrl+alt+del it doesn't work).

I need a solution that will just let me change the volume of MIDI playback on my computer, since I've long given my path to fix this virus. (don't say reformat, I'll lose 20+ songs that I haven't recorded yet)

Thanks guys, I really need you on this one.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Uh, download avast or antivir to get rid of the virus?
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Go into safe mode, and then change the volume. Most viruses don't work in safe mode. Or just copy the songs and then format.
If removing the virus is NOT an option (although it should be a last resort to not remove a virus, not an option) then maybe you could try pressing F1 without any window focused (click the desktop) and hopefully that will bring up the help window where you can search for "volume control" or something like that. You should eventually find a link that will launch the volume controls.
Quote by pwrmax
Go into safe mode, and then change the volume. Most viruses don't work in safe mode. Or just copy the songs and then format.

Safe mode doesn't work, and I'm not sure if I CAN even format but I'll go reboot and give it a try.

Quote by KennethJay
Uh, download avast or antivir to get rid of the virus?

I downloaded one or the other, they scanned for ages and found anything but what I'm looking for, on top of that I have to get rid of the viruses one by one and rescan in between getting rid of them... I don't understand why.

Quote by walkingminstral
If you have XP there should be a control panel link on the left when you flick up 'my computer'

When I try to open My Computer through Task Manager it doesn't go into it likes it's a .exe, it just shows me the files in My Computer from Task Manager so I can't see the controler panel link on the left I hope you know what I mean.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by Demonology
So I have a few good ideas for drums for my new song, I try to write em down in Guitar Pro, then I try to listen to them along with the rest of my song to see if they sound good and bam, no MIDI sound. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, I'd just go down to the taskbar and bring up the volume controls and put MIDI sound back on. However, I can't do this because I have some virus that makes my desktop and taskbar disappear, also I can't use the windows button on my keyboard so that nulls out using the control panel to change the volume. (even if I try to open control panel using ctrl+alt+del it doesn't work).

I need a solution that will just let me change the volume of MIDI playback on my computer, since I've long given my path to fix this virus. (don't say reformat, I'll lose 20+ songs that I haven't recorded yet)

Thanks guys, I really need you on this one.

Protip: BACK THEM UP, you dunce. Why was that not your first course of action?
You're*
Quote by walkingminstral
I'm sure you can get to 'my computer' by creating a new folder on the desktop and opening it

Desktop disappeared. Oh wait yeah, I can click My Computer from my desktop when in Task Manager, but it acts like I'm just clicking it from the side of the search in Task Manager.

Quote by Survivalism
Protip: BACK THEM UP, you dunce. Why was that not your first course of action?

Can't find my USB stick >.<

The files are fine, nothing worse is gonna happen to my computer since I've stopped downloading anything but tabs.

Later on I'll just send them to myself through hotmail lol.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Last edited by Demonology at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by walkingminstral
can you get to Display Properties? theres a way from there

Not sure, where would Display Properties normally be located?
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Quote by Demonology
Safe mode doesn't work, and I'm not sure if I CAN even format but I'll go reboot and give it a try.

Safe mode can't not work, I forget how to access it without using Windows, I think it's pressing F8 repeatedly while starting up but you will have to look it up. As for formatting, stick the Windows CD in the computer right off the bat and it will automatically boot from it before even starting Windows and no virus can work until Windows starts working.
When booting I saw no option for safe mode, so I went to boot option and couldn't find a safe mode there =\

And I don't have a windows CD everything gets lost in my house besides stuff I specifically put away and tell people not to touch, unfortunately I lost my windows CD before I started doing that.

My laptop is a mac but I've always wanted windows on it, do I need the CD key to reformat? Because if not I could buy windows XP again and install it on my mac, then reformat.

Edit: Just rebooted twice, pressed F8 repeatedly the first time, nothing, second time saw something on the left of the screen that looked like a 5 or 6 so I spammed F5 and F6, nothing.

Looks like the only thing I can do is backup my files and spend $200 reformatting -.-
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Last edited by Demonology at Feb 8, 2009,