Hello guys,

I got an Ibanez SZ320 and I'm looking for replacing the pickups that come with it. I'm not really sure about pickups, yet I consider that I'm not getting the tone I want + they are the factory ones.

I'm looking for to enhance my gear and make it better, yet I don't know if this is something important to take care of. I know it is a hard question to answer, yet I don't know how to start...

Any ideas?

kRem
We need to know:
- Your amp, as this is the most important part of creating your tone.
- What you think is wrong with your current tone and how you'd like to change it, it especially helps if you can give precise examples of the sort of tone you want.
- The type of music you play and your playing style/ability.
- Your budget.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by TisPyon
we could start with what kind of tone are you looking for...

Not sure how to describe what I want even though I know what I want when I play.

I'm into a low tone, but at the same time I use all my guitar and strings for all my songs. I'm into Chevelle's sound, but I don't want to go as low as A tuning. I do, however, like thick strings.

Not sure if I'm being descriptive enough but I'm ready to learn...
Quote by MrFlibble
We need to know:
- Your amp, as this is the most important part of creating your tone.
- What you think is wrong with your current tone and how you'd like to change it, it especially helps if you can give precise examples of the sort of tone you want.
- The type of music you play and your playing style/ability.
- Your budget.

Hey there, great questions:

- Right now I have a little Vox Valvetronix 30W Amp. Not exactly my choice, but I'm also looking for changing my AMP really soon for something professional.
- I'm not getting "all my notes" when I play. I think it is my AMP though. Think of it like if you were playing your acoustic; everything comes to live automatically.
- I'm into a mixture of hardcore, with really "custom"chords.
- My budget is increasing everyday. I want something of great quality that I can use for my future gigs.

I hope I'm being descriptive enough. I'm here to learn all the technical aspects of guitar music making...
Well if you're thinking of changing your amp (and you should), I would suggest you get that done first before you worry about pickups. Put your 'increasing' budget into a really nice amp.

Though for what it's worth, from the sound of it I would think you want moderately high-output pickups with a lot of natural bass response but not so much that they lose clarity. I would think something like a Seymour Duncan Duncan Custom would be suitable for the bridge and perhaps a Pearly Gates for the neck. There are many other similar pickups from other brands but those are two basic guidelines to look at. Generally I would suggest overwound Alnico V or underwound Ceramic pickups in the 14k DC Resistance area for the bridge position. Ceramic will provide a slightly harder tone while the Alnico V would be slightly clearer, depends which way you'd prefer to go. For the neck look for medium-wound Alnico II pickups in the 8k DC Resistance area, maybe a really underwound Alnico V but then you'd be severely limiting your options for good clean tones if you ever use 'em.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well if you're thinking of changing your amp (and you should), I would suggest you get that done first before you worry about pickups. Put your 'increasing' budget into a really nice amp.

Though for what it's worth, from the sound of it I would think you want moderately high-output pickups with a lot of natural bass response but not so much that they lose clarity. I would think something like a Seymour Duncan Duncan Custom would be suitable for the bridge and perhaps a Pearly Gates for the neck. There are many other similar pickups from other brands but those are two basic guidelines to look at. Generally I would suggest overwound Alnico V or underwound Ceramic pickups in the 14k DC Resistance area for the bridge position. Ceramic will provide a slightly harder tone while the Alnico V would be slightly clearer, depends which way you'd prefer to go. For the neck look for medium-wound Alnico II pickups in the 8k DC Resistance area, maybe a really underwound Alnico V but then you'd be severely limiting your options for good clean tones if you ever use 'em.

Hey brother, I'm really grateful for your clear explanation. I also think now I should focus on an AMP instead of pickups for now. I will save this info you supply here though because it is a great starting point!

Now, what do you think is best AMP wise? I have tried the Fender Overdrive AMP heads and they just blow my mind. The sound is just perfect, yet what would you suggest based on my previous description?

kRem