they both have probably my favorite solo tones of any guitarist ever..
jw what pickups they use im probably going to try and trade my emgs for a set of them or similar pickups to either of their pickups.. thanks for the help
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Slash - Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro
Gilmour - depends on what guitar

But I assure you that Slash's tone has more to do with his Marshall JCM800 and Gilmour's has to do more with his Hiwatt DR103 than their pickups.
First off, it's David Gilmour. Second, the amps they use have a much larger impact on their tone than the pickups.

Slash uses some sort of alnico II humbucker, most of his lead tones are the neck position into one of his prize silver jubilee JCM 800s

David gilmour mainly used a strat with standard single coils into a mess of a pedal board into Hiwatt amps. The simplest way to get his tone would probably be running a strat into a silicon fuzz (something like a fuzz face) and a big muff into a clean amp. He used emgs singles for a stint, but eventually went back to standard single coils.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
lol as if i put doug gilmour, sorry im canadian and doug gilmour is a retired hockey player haha!

kk thanks guys
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Who's this Doug Gilmour you speak of?
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by al112987
Slash - Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro
Gilmour - depends on what guitar

But I assure you that Slash's tone has more to do with his Marshall JCM800 and Gilmour's has to do more with his Hiwatt DR103 than their pickups.

While there is truth to that, You aren't going to get Slash's juciy lead and rhythm tones without the Alnico's tone and sustain and clearity. There is a huge difference,I've tried a bunch of guitars on marshall tube amps in the Music stores... gibson les pauls,PRS,EMG equiped guitars and the only thing that came spot on was my Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro loaded Les Paul copy.

The Alnicos are worth the cash, your guitar will sound great on any amp. Without the Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 pro pickups your just building a house of sound on swampy ground.

In a Quest for Slash's tone the Anicos are ground zero and before you buy anything else I would start here because then you'll know you have a good foundation to build the rest of your tone from.
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
^sorry but playing a les paul with Alnico IIs through an ibanez toneblaster is NOT going to get as close as playing a HSS strat through a Silver Jubilee, as far as sounding like slash's tone.

ground zero is amp. second step isn't even pups, it's the TYPE of guitar, such as a mahogany bodied sustainful fixed bridge one.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Kevin Saale
First off, it's David Gilmour. Second, the amps they use have a much larger impact on their tone than the pickups.

Slash uses some sort of alnico II humbucker, most of his lead tones are the neck position into one of his prize silver jubilee JCM 800s

David gilmour mainly used a strat with standard single coils into a mess of a pedal board into Hiwatt amps. The simplest way to get his tone would probably be running a strat into a silicon fuzz (something like a fuzz face) and a big muff into a clean amp. He used emgs singles for a stint, but eventually went back to standard single coils.

+1
Plus, Davids EMG's weren't for the tone. He had a different reason, I can't remember it exactly though
Quote by boxcarmonument
Who's this Doug Gilmour you speak of?

He kinda explained it in the post above.

Slash uses Alnico II Humbuckers, and Gilly varies.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by mcrfobtai
+1
Plus, Davids EMG's weren't for the tone. He had a different reason, I can't remember it exactly though

He used them to maintain signal integrity through his mammoth effects chain, but ultimately decided he didn't like the tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^sorry but playing a les paul with Alnico IIs through an ibanez toneblaster is NOT going to get as close as playing a HSS strat through a Silver Jubilee, as far as sounding like slash's tone.

ground zero is amp. second step isn't even pups, it's the TYPE of guitar, such as a mahogany bodied sustainful fixed bridge one.

Whatever, a solid body guitar with Alnicos will be closer than he would have been otherwise. Wood makes a difference but its not as big as people think.

Slash isn't always playing a Silver Jubilee either, in the Guns N Roses Years Slash used a Modded first Generation Master Volume Marshall amp for lead tones and a JCM 800 for Rhythm Tones. For The Use Your Illusions Albums he used a JCM 800 with 65/50 output tubes and volume at 8 and pre amp at 2 for total output distortion.

During the VR Recording sessions he mixed a bunch of amps together, Standard run of the mill JCM 800,Slash Signature amp,1987 non Master Volume amp, VOX AC-30 and even a small Fender combo.

What I'm getting at is through all those sessions the thing that remains the same and sounds the same is Slash and the common link are the Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups used in everyone his guitars.

If your chasing the Slash sound you need Alnicos.
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Ugh. I want Gilmour's tone so bad...

It's so saturated, but so clear. That and he has a vintage Electric Mistress, which I'm GASing hard for... /jealousy

But yeah, he used passives in the Black Strat, then had EMG singles in the Red strat, and then switched to back to passives.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by rhcp_freak
He kinda explained it in the post above.

Slash uses Alnico II Humbuckers, and Gilly varies.

Seriously it's not hard to understand SARCASIM!!!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Slash and David Gilmour use fairly different rigs.

Slash uses a JCM800 Jubilee and a Les Paul with Alcino II pups.

Gilmour uses Hiwatt amps and single coil Strats.

One of those Hiwatt's will set you back about $3000 by the way.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
David Gilmour likes to play extremely loud, as he describes, "right at the edge of feedback".

The basic sound isn't too hard to emulate. With a Strat/el34 combo you can hear different Gilmour tones just by flipping the pickup selector. Add a touch of delay/reverb. Voila

I say the Alnicos are more integral than not to gettin a Slash tone.
Quote by steven seagull
He used them to maintain signal integrity through his mammoth effects chain, but ultimately decided he didn't like the tone.

I thought it was to deal with all the crazy single coil hum that came from their crazy lights and stuff, but that makes sense too.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by SlashWannabe1
Whatever, a solid body guitar with Alnicos will be closer than he would have been otherwise. Wood makes a difference but its not as big as people think.

Slash isn't always playing a Silver Jubilee either, in the Guns N Roses Years Slash used a Modded first Generation Master Volume Marshall amp for lead tones and a JCM 800 for Rhythm Tones. For The Use Your Illusions Albums he used a JCM 800 with 65/50 output tubes and volume at 8 and pre amp at 2 for total output distortion.

During the VR Recording sessions he mixed a bunch of amps together, Standard run of the mill JCM 800,Slash Signature amp,1987 non Master Volume amp, VOX AC-30 and even a small Fender combo.

What I'm getting at is through all those sessions the thing that remains the same and sounds the same is Slash and the common link are the Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups used in everyone his guitars.

If your chasing the Slash sound you need Alnicos.

All of those recordings sound different. You can tell it's slash because it's slash, the player overrides the gear (especially a good player). To be fair, all those amps are very similar and similar tones can be gotten from all of them, except for the ac30 (it's british so the crunch is still there) and the fender.

Quote by echo_4190
I thought it was to deal with all the crazy single coil hum that came from their crazy lights and stuff, but that makes sense too.

Probably a mix of both I'd say. The emgs being active would prevent the huge amounts of treble bleed he must have had otherwise, not attracting 60hz hum (which everything else in his rig probably did) was probably another though in his mind as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
All of those recordings sound different. You can tell it's slash because it's slash, the player overrides the gear (especially a good player). To be fair, all those amps are very similar and similar tones can be gotten from all of them, except for the ac30 (it's british so the crunch is still there) and the fender.

Probably a mix of both I'd say. The emgs being active would prevent the huge amounts of treble bleed he must have had otherwise, not attracting 60hz hum (which everything else in his rig probably did) was probably another though in his mind as well.

This is a great point. You can tell it's Slash because his playing ability has that "signature" if you can call it that.

Kind of like how there's that Satriani video with him playing some Strat copy. When he does some of the intensive parts in Satch Boogie, you can clearly tell it's his tone.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer