I recently built a 2x8 speaker cabinet for use with a Fender Champ clone i got. I love the creamy distortion I get, but I don't get the chance very often, since it is for bedroom use and it is around 6 watts of tube. I was thinking about adding volume control to my cab, and then I thought that this was probably impossible. Then, I came across this http://www.installergadget.com/servlet/the-2161/Steren-820-dsh-400-Speaker-Volume/Detail which seems to support my idea.

Long story short: Would adding a potentiometer for volume to my cab make any sense? Also, how would i wire it? Just like master volume in a guitar? Also, what impedance should it have (my cab is (2) 20watt 4ohm speakers in series for 40watts 8ohm total)
Last edited by travistag at Feb 8, 2009,
Oh, am I thinking of an L-pad? Can someone please explain how these work and where to buy them?

EDIT: I know where to buy them, so would this work? Also, the ones i found are 8ohm 15watts, would these work? Also, i assume wiring is like for master volume on a guitar, so do i need to ground it?
Last edited by travistag at Feb 8, 2009,
Sounds like you need an attenuator. A THD Hot Plate should work nicely, or you could build your own.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
aye, needs to have a load. Just having a pot would probably damage something, don't really know, not an electrician
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
An L pad is an attenuator. That should work. You will pay way more for the Hot Plate. I have a champ 600 and i tweeked it a bit to give it some more gain and I haven't had a problem yet with volume, if anything I wish it would give me some more clean. Just be aware that attenuating the signal if done to much will deteriorate the tone.
Quote by StrangeAngel
Isn't an L-pad basically a small, simple attenuator?

Close enough. It's just that the Hot Plate Attenuators, for example, are easier to use with a cab without an L-pad already built in.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
OK, so i think i'll install an L-pad. I mean, i built and wired the cab, why not customize it further? Plus, external attenuators are awkward and expensive to me (why have an extra set of cables and boxes, when you can have a nice knob on your cab?) So, for a 40 watt cab, what wattage would the L-pad need to be. I found them in 15 and 50. Does that wattage pertain to the cab or amp? Also, does anyone have a diagram?

BTW: It's a Champ AA764, so it's a little louder and more clean than a 600. Plus, running through a 2x8 rather than a single 6" will make it louder. I just want that creamy overdrive at manageable volumes...
Regi's Havan Attenuator

The link above goes to a cool little attenuator this guy created using an L-pad. Very simple to bulid. Because an l-pad/attenuator dissipates heat, the fan is a must.

A simple volume knob would heat up, burn out then, because there would be no loud on the amp, damage your Champ.

You can also have one built by Weber. A MicroMass would probably work great for your Champ. It runs about $70 US.
Quote by travistag
I found them in 15 and 50. Does that wattage pertain to the cab or amp? Also, does anyone have a diagram?

BTW: It's a Champ AA764, so it's a little louder and more clean than a 600. Plus, running through a 2x8 rather than a single 6" will make it louder. I just want that creamy overdrive at manageable volumes...

Base your selection on at least three times your amps rating. If you have a 6 watt amp, get at least a 18 watt l-pad. You may want to install a small fan in the amp while you are already modding it. At 6 watts, the l-pad may not get too hot but it couldn't hurt to ventilate it anyway.

I'd go with the 50 watt l-pad or, better yet, 100 watt (Parts Express #260-264).
Last edited by MT in Austin at Feb 9, 2009,