Firstly, I used the search bar, and all the suggestions were very wide spread, and usually didn't fit my criteria, so here it goes.

I need a new set of pickups (H-H) for playing various forms of Metal. I play a lot of Megadeth and Metallica, along with Children of Bodom, In Flames, KsE, LoG, BFMV, At the Gates, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, etc. The pickups will be going into a Douglas Fulcrum (mahogany body).

I don't need versatility, I have my RG321 with Breeds to do everything else for me, I just need a strictly metal pickup (passive or active) set that doesn't muddy up with drop tunings that come along with the Scandinavian bands and Metalcore.

I would like tone based along the lines of CoB rhythm tone and the smooth leads of In Flames.

tl;dr- new pickups for Metalcore, Thrash, and Melodic Metal.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Well Alexi Laiho uses Symour duncan active blackouts...well just one, so maybe try those, or EMGS are kinda similar
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
EMG 81/85. I have them in my Les Paul which is mahogany and produce a sweet crunchy rhythm sound a smooth lead tone with epic sustain. So I would say go with the EMGs
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
new EMG-x series or Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
Bareknuckle Warpigs.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
http://rockmonkeyguitars.com/
If you can afford these, give them a look. Chris posts here from time to time as CorduroyEW, and gives UGers a 10% discount.

Or, just look at EMGs or Duncan Invaders.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Just get active EMG's.

The majority of those bands use or have used EMGs.

Depends on your amp though, I'd check that before wasting ~200 on pickups that really won't make THAT much of a difference unless you have a good amp.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
IMHO, Seymour DUncan BLackouts are superior to EMG's. Blackouts are the way I'd go.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by CodySG
Just get active EMG's.

Depends on your amp though, I'd check that before wasting ~200 on pickups that really won't make THAT much of a difference unless you have a good amp.

He has a Bugera so it will make a difference, they respond well to EMG and Blackouts.

I'm still keen to hear the new EMG-x.
I'm still sticking to Blackouts but I'll be keen to see what they're like.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Meh, I didn't really like the blackouts that much...

I mean, they're ok...but it's like the took an active pickup and just pumped it with steriods and it's just to much.

Like every frequency is being raped, but not in a good way...

I love 18v EMG's. A LOOOT better sounding than 9v IMO.
okay, so it looks like EMG's have to be on the list as an option, but what about Dimarzio? What about their D-Activator, D-Activator X, or X2N?

If I were to go the EMG route, which set should I get? I'm pretty sure an 81 in the bridge, but do I get the 85,89, or 60 in the neck?
Quote by EvoLancer211
Well Alexi Laiho uses Symour duncan active blackouts...well just one, so maybe try those, or EMGS are kinda similar

No he doesn't, he uses EMGs.
To be fair, Alexi's tone sucks...

He uses passive EMG's the majority of the time.
Quote by CodySG
To be fair, Alexi's tone sucks...

He uses passive EMG's the majority of the time.

To be even fairer, only about 20% of tone actually comes from the pickups. Alexi's amp choice isn't the best, that's the bulk of his tone. It's not like you can put new pickups in a guitar and turn a shit tone into a good one. IMO pickups are more about fine-tuning a sound. If you have a good amp and you aren't still satisfied, then it's time to mess with pickups.
Dave Mustaine Livewires
EMG 81-85 or 81-60
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by bluebadumtable
To be even fairer, only about 20% of tone actually comes from the pickups. Alexi's amp choice isn't the best, that's the bulk of his tone. It's not like you can put new pickups in a guitar and turn a shit tone into a good one. IMO pickups are more about fine-tuning a sound. If you have a good amp and you aren't still satisfied, then it's time to mess with pickups.

I know, I didn't mean it sucked because of the pups, I was just stated he uses the passive EMG's.
Quote by CodySG
I know, I didn't mean it sucked because of the pups, I was just stated he uses the passive EMG's.

Sorry, the post was mostly for TS's benefit. Didn't really make that clear
Quote by bluebadumtable
Sorry, the post was mostly for TS's benefit. Didn't really make that clear

Eh, ty, but can get some answers about the Dimarzio pickups?

sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but I know this stuff about Alexi
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Eh, ty, but can get some answers about the Dimarzio pickups?

Well the best way for me to recommend you something is like this-

Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I need a new set of pickups (H-H) for playing various forms of Metal. I play a lot of Megadeth and Metallica, along with Children of Bodom, In Flames, KsE, LoG, BFMV, At the Gates, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, etc. The pickups will be going into a Douglas Fulcrum (mahogany body).

All of these use EMGs of some description.

Dimarzio are more versatile than EMGs in general. More variety, better clean tone... go on the website and check out some of the models. They show you what EQ each pickup is set to, recommended position, soundclips and users etc.
DiMarzios are great for everything. I use the Super Distortion and Air Norton in my SG, and I'm ordering the D Sonic 7 and Air Norton 7 for my 7 string.

loads of metal players use DiMarzios:Malmsteen, Vai, Li, Satriani, Petrucci, Gilbert, etc...
For drop tunings I'd stick a D-Sonic in the bridge with a Breed in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
For drop tunings I'd stick a D-Sonic in the bridge with a Breed in the neck.

I don't really like the Breed in the neck for Metal leads, it seems to be too bassy, even with the bass tamed by the eq.

Is the D-Sonic better than the EMG's or say the D-Activator or D-Activator X for B Standard or other sub Drop C tunings?

Right now it's really between the D-activators and the EMG's for me.
d activator/d activator x ftw
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by EvoLancer211

he doesnt anymore.. he uses emg h2
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I don't really like the Breed in the neck for Metal leads, it seems to be too bassy, even with the bass tamed by the eq.

Is the D-Sonic better than the EMG's or say the D-Activator or D-Activator X for B Standard or other sub Drop C tunings?

Right now it's really between the D-activators and the EMG's for me.

Honestly, if it's that close, it comes down to whether you like the EMG tone or not.

I do, and I think for really low tunings a lot of other pups *bar some really nice ones* get muddy, while the EMG's stay clear.
TS, could try an 81 81 combo cause for a lot of the stuff there there is little and/or no clean so it may be work going two 81's for a little extra clarity MAYBE
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
I've always like the 81/60 or 85/60 myself.

If you solo a lot on the neck pup the classic 81/85 is nice too.
Quote by CodySG
Just get active EMG's.

most guitarists that used 81/85's now use sd blackouts tbh..
They do?

News to me...seeing as how they're two totally different pups that don't sound alike...