I started a similar thread last October, but I didn't get a lot of feedback. I'm ready to order a with a Hellatone 60 (their version of a broken-in Vintage 30). Should I go with a partially-open back or a closed back?

I already have an identical 1x12 cab with a partially open back fitted with a G12H30, so I'm thinking I should try something different this time and get a closed back. What would a V30 sound better in? The cab's dimensions are 17"x17"x15".

"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Depends what your playing, but seeing as you have an open back one already I'd say go for the closed back one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
FWIW, I play classic rock, blues rock, 80's punk, and Nirvana covers. I also play a lot of clean stuff with tons of analog delay and some chorus for flavoring.
Do you want bass response? Or do you like the open airy sound of a open back cab. If you already have a open back I would go with a closed.

If you have two open back cabs I feel you lose a lot of bass response. And are going to end up with a very bright sound. Unless you plan on playing cleans only. I love the chimey sound you get with cleans on open back cabs.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Do you want bass response? Or do you like the open airy sound of a open back cab. If you already have a open back I would go with a closed.

If you have two open back cabs I feel you lose a lot of bass response. And are going to end up with a very bright sound. Unless you plan on playing cleans only. I love the chimey sound you get with cleans on open back cabs.

Good feedback.

I guess if I had to pick anything it would be to emphasize chimey cleans. I don't gig. I'm just a living room jammer. The partially-open backed G12H30 cab I already have is an awesome all-around cab, but the tone is a little on the dark side, and this cab definitely sounds better when the Tiny Terror has the gain at 3:00 o'clock or beyond.

So you're saying that an open backed V30 cab will brighten up my tone, right?