There is a reason Fenders are so popular. Their good.

Honestly, I doubt anyone here has played on of those.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
No one sees these basses because they are ugly.
I like it.
Get it.
Shawn George Noel
What kind of music you play? Maybe try an ESP or schecter stiletto
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
i do like schecters

My band plays a mix of everything but mainly punk, and i know fenders are of amazing quality but i just dont like them, not a fan of the body.
I've played this bass and it is actully quite nice. The pickups in this thing are so clean, and you can get a fairly wide variety of tones out of them. The thing i hate is that the input jack is on the back of the bass. If i could get past the input jack and the shape i would pick one up.
I've never seen that company before but i love how it looks. If it sounds good i really want one now. I'd highly suggest trying it though. Hope Fly-By-Night knows what he's talking about.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Ah yeah, Lace's new instruments.

I'm very interested in these because of the 'Alumitone' pickup design, completely different to conventional wound pickups. I'm heard good things...

As always, trying before you buy is the best advice I could give. Difficult, I know, but do hunt around

Look for videos too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDhKQJcODsQ
Holy crap, you know, it never used to bother me when people bought "cool looking instruments", but ever since I started reading TheFitz' gospels, threads like these make my blood boil.

If you're turning away great basses like Fenders because everyone has one (because they sound, feel and look great) then you're caring far too much about your appearance - something anyone who'd really like your music wouldn't care a toss about - and not enough about making music.

And you're really no different from the thousands of other "individuals" without a Fender.

Meh.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
The LACE basses are actually quite nice, they have a nice tone, and play well. The pickups work well, but aren't a complete revolution unto themselves, they just sound good. I dissaprove of the massive rubber knobs, but would give it the thumbs up. Perhaps the Bolt-on rather than the Neck Through however?

I would hasten to add that there are many manufacturers who aren't Fender or even Fender-style, so do pause to give Ibanez, Warwick, Yamaha, Gibson/Epiphone, Cort, Spector, OLP etc... before buying the LACE.
Quote by Haanz
Holy crap, you know, it never used to bother me when people bought "cool looking instruments", but ever since I started reading TheFitz' gospels, threads like these make my blood boil.

If you're turning away great basses like Fenders because everyone has one (because they sound, feel and look great) then you're caring far too much about your appearance - something anyone who'd really like your music wouldn't care a toss about - and not enough about making music.

And you're really no different from the thousands of other "individuals" without a Fender.

Meh.

Fenders are good yes but they aren't the only good bass by any means, there are numerous other brands like Schecter,Ibanez, or even peavey that are in the same price range and just as good
I wouldn't get the bass just cause someone says it is good. I bet that the tone I want to get is not the same tone your looking for. So as previously stated, youre going to have to find one and play it yourself
am i the only one that just doesn't like fender basses? i mean jeez, but try out the bass in person and see if you like it, its the best way to find out
Quote by Haanz

Meh.

RRRRRRRRR
AAAAAAAAAAAA
GGGGGGGGGG
EEEEEEEEEEE

Fender makes solid basses, as do a whole slew of other companies, and with that in mind you can easily turn down one of said companies for the look of another bass that has a tone that you like. People recommend Fenders here all the damned time like they're some kind of godly instrument that have Jesus' hair for wiring and use slabs from Noah's arc for the neck, and all other sorts of stupid ****, and the fact of the matter is that some people simply don't like the way they play or sound, or look, or whatever, and they want another bass.

Honestly I'm sick and ****ing tired of the Fender dick sucking that goes on on these boards, especially when people decide to jump on other people's **** when they either don't want to buy one, or don't see the need.
Last edited by sloasdaylight at Feb 9, 2009,
They're a fine bass. I played a fretless and I liked it a lot - a big, clear tone with a lot of nuance in an exceptionally light, well balanced bass. Low weight and good balance are a rare combination.

However, 2 HUGE complains:

The Strat style input jack is on the BACK of the instrument. WTF?

Secondly, I played the fretless version. THE FRET MARKINGS ON THE SIDE WERE PLACED AS IF THE INSTRUMENT HAD FRETS! Are you fucking kidding me!? This is absolutely inexcusable on an instrument at that price level. Only cheap, sub $200 brandless Chinese eBay crap has this. No fretlines, misplaced fret dots. AUGHH! I'm gonna write an email to them right now.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by sloasdaylight

RRRRRRRRR
AAAAAAAAAAAA
GGGGGGGGGG
EEEEEEEEEEE
SIZE]

Fender makes solid basses, as do a whole slew of other companies, and with that in mind you can easily turn down one of said companies for the look of another bass that has a tone that you like. People recommend Fenders here all the damned time like they're some kind of godly instrument that have Jesus' hair for wiring and use slabs from Noah's arc for the neck, and all other sorts of stupid ****, and the fact of the matter is that some people simply don't like the way they play or sound, or look, or whatever, and they want another bass.

Honestly I'm sick and ****ing tired of the Fender dick sucking that goes on on these boards, especially when people decide to jump on other people's **** when they either don't want to buy one, or don't see the need.

we also love Ibanez, Acoustic, Ashdown, Warwick, Schecter, Hartke, Boss, Digitech, Ampeg, Music Man, Lackland, Cort, Rotosound, DR, Orange, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, and countless other things.

we just recommend what we each think you need from what we know, and when it comes right down to it, everyone has played a Fender.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
But not many people have played a LACE, so can we just answer the gents question?

If you're interested in looking different, but still want something conventional (i.e. not a spiky metal-style body) then Id hasten to point you in Spector and Warwick's direction.

In a similar vein to the Helix, you may want to have a look at the Johnson Catalyst,
http://www.johnsongtr.com/Bass.66.0.html
the helix looks alright. I think it'd be a good bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the_underling
But not many people have played a LACE, so can we just answer the gents question?

Didn't I? And threadstarter, go to their website - there's a couple of good youtube links on there that give you a decent idea of how the bass sounds and plays. Keep in mind it's spec'd more like a Precision neck-wise.

EDIT: If it helps, here's the letter I sent Lace about the fretless:
Hello, I tried a Lace Helix fretless neckthrough bass at a guitar store
in Buffalo the other day, and I was quite impressed. The pickups gave a
great, modern-but-familiar sound, and I was amazed at how well the
instrument balanced considering the very light weight.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I noticed one major problem that
will severely hamper the sales of the fretless model if uncorrected:

The side dots were placed as if the instrument had frets. On a fretless
instrument, the side dots should be where the frets used to be, not
where the dots normally would be on a fretted instrument. New players
are supposed to look at the side dots and fret there. On this
instrument, it's terribly confusing and it made the instrument
disorienting to play. Please - no dots/no lines, dots as is/fret lines,
or properly placed dots/no lines. The fretless version simply isn't
going to impress people into buying it with the fret dots placed where
they are now.

I'm just speaking from personal experience and am in no way trying to
frustrate or offend anybody - I think you have a great product that's a
wonderful alternative to the more "traditional" instruments you see
everywhere (I'd take a Helix bass over a Gibson any day of the week!),
but as it stands this issue needs to be corrected. If fixed, you have a
real contender with your fretless Helix - until then, the public won't
appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 10, 2009,
I have looked at spectors and i forgot to hit quote but right on rant guy! woo!

Im one of the people that just doesnt like fenders.