Hi my names Steve and I think I want to learn to play the guitar. Im 18 years old, and enlisted in the US Navy as an IT. I finish A school on tuesday, and basically will be awaiting orders for the next few weeks. my former hobby was modifying cars, but as you can see in my situation thats hard to do since im an E1 (just joined) and wil probably get shipped overseas.
that situation alone means that whatever i buy, a small amp and headphones are basically a must. Ive been talking to a friend for a little bit and he recommended this kit: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287 looks like a pretty straight deal to me.
So What are your opinions on this guitar set? any other recommendations? Im also looking for a few good beginner learning books/dvds/whatever.
Thanks for the help guys,
Steve
Squiers are great starter guitars tons of people start with them.

I would suggest looking into the Rock Method series of DVD's they helped me out alot when I first started playing.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I second the acoustic motion. you're going overseas and traveling? get a 3/4 size or something like the washburn rover. If you really want an electric just get the guitar and a small pocket amp or something.
ive heard start acoustic in the past. however, im pretty set on learning on an electric guitar. and by overseas, i dont mean ill always be in an airplane or something. I mean ill be on a ship.
Last edited by MaroSteve at Feb 9, 2009,
Hey Steve, howz it goin? I'm ex Air Force so am not completely sure but won't the ship you'll be assigned to make a bit of a difference as to how much and what you can bring onboard? I mean, if your on like the Enterprise class carriers, then space might not be a problem, but what if it's a support ship? Something smaller I mean. If you are limited, then an acoustic is certainly the way to go. Plus, you can play it anywhere on the ship without needing power. Are you going to be able to plug in an amp all over the place on a ship? I realize they've got AC juice and all that, but I just don't know. Seems to me that an electric would be more of a pain in the ass onboard a military vessel than an acoustic would.
im over in iraq right now man and i just bought an SG and a viper amp and im just waiting to get it over here and im actually stationed out of germany. Over here as IT which is exactly what my MOS is 25B i have lots of time for practice myself! Great time to learn!
Quote by LeftyDave
Hey Steve, howz it goin? I'm ex Air Force so am not completely sure but won't the ship you'll be assigned to make a bit of a difference as to how much and what you can bring onboard? I mean, if your on like the Enterprise class carriers, then space might not be a problem, but what if it's a support ship? Something smaller I mean. If you are limited, then an acoustic is certainly the way to go. Plus, you can play it anywhere on the ship without needing power. Are you going to be able to plug in an amp all over the place on a ship? I realize they've got AC juice and all that, but I just don't know. Seems to me that an electric would be more of a pain in the ass onboard a military vessel than an acoustic would.

well Depending what kind of ship is definitely a space thing. a guitar and a pignose amp is definitely small enough for any ship. as far as AC, they've got outlets all over the lounges and things like that so thats not an issue. to be honest, I dont even know if Im assinged a ship, i get orders this week.
I would suggest going acoustic first, then buy a chord and scale book so you can learn at least the bare basics.

Good scale/chord book:
The Gig bag book of Scales
The Gig bag book of Chords
If you have the choice, go acoustic.

1) Just because you think you want to play rock stuff on an electric doesn't mean you won't gain more of an appreciation for acoustic as you play
2) Acoustic is harder to learn at first, but you will be a better overall guitar player for learning it.
3) If you can play acoustic, you can play electric. Not necessarily true the other way around.