Ok I bought a condenser mic and I thought my recording interface had phantom power but apparently after doing some research I found it doesn't. So for the last few hours I've been recording like that. I was just wondering if I hurt or if I'm just being paranoid. Also when ever I record I get this annoying hum, I'm assuming its because I havn't been using phantom power, but I'm not sure. If any of you guys can help with either of these questions I would really appreciate it.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
No it won't hurt it, only causes a humming sound which I think answers both questions? The mic will sound wayyy better with phantom power. Some don't even work without it so your lucky. What kind of mic is it?
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Yeah man, your fine.

Just by a preamp to provide phantom power to the mic, or return the mic you have and get a dynamic mic. (option one is def. the better option here)

-Ryan
Its a sterling st44.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Yeah, it won't work properly without phantom power, but I can't see a reason why it would cause any damage. I've made that mistake loads of times with no detriment. You need to really do one of the options that Jared said.
There is poetry in despair.
i'm sure its fine. generally.. things only get damage when you run voltage thru it when its NOT supposed to have it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
ok well I got the power supply so thats taken care of but I still have that annoying um in the backround. Any idea how to get rid of that?

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
k I will try. I'm thinking it might be a grounding problem

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by frog_friend
Ok I bought a condenser mic and I thought my recording interface had phantom power but apparently after doing some research I found it doesn't. So for the last few hours I've been recording like that. I was just wondering if I hurt or if I'm just being paranoid. Also when ever I record I get this annoying hum, I'm assuming its because I havn't been using phantom power, but I'm not sure. If any of you guys can help with either of these questions I would really appreciate it.

Plugging a condenser mic into an interface without phantom wont harm the mic in any ways although you wont get any sound from the mic...even if you pinned your preamp.

Buzzing means you have a grounding issue which should be fixed before turning on the power for the mic. Swap cables and try different power sockets.

Also be sure to turn down the preamp and levels knobs, then plug in your mic...after all that you can turn on the phantom power. It's best to keep phantom power off when wiring your mics.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 10, 2009,
cool thanks I will try that.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Well its official, I'm an idiot. I found the problem, I had forgot to change the microphone setting under sound in my control panel. I had been using my laptops microphone this whole time to record....

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
i had the exact same problem when i first started recording. I found out i'd been using my webcams mic for weeks.