This is for demonstrative purposes. Give me every difference you can think of between guitar bodies made of basswood and alder.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Basswood is lighter,less durable,and has a different tone than alder.By less durable I mean it seems to dent and what not easier than Alder.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

^If your talking about ibanez, they use thin paint.

Alder is known tone wise to be somewhere between mahogany and basswood. Basswood is also lighter
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Quote by Pr0gNut
Basswood is lighter,less durable,and has a different tone than alder.By less durable I mean it seems to dent and what not easier than Alder.

Ummm no its not really my basswood RG is pretty damn heavy.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by mitch311

Alder is known tone wise to be somewhere between mahogany and basswood. Basswood is also lighter

Nope,I meant in general.In my experiences with both woods the Basswood bodies seem to dent and ding easier.Not sure if it's an actual fact,more of an observation.

Quote by Lethal Dosage
Ummm no its not really my basswood RG is pretty damn heavy.

Yep,it is lighter than a sample of Mahogany or Alder of the same size in my experiences.If you think an RG is heavy then you should try a Warlock or LP,those things weigh a ton,or god forbid you throw a razorback around your shoulders .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 9, 2009,
What he said.

Alder is more bright, and is most commonly used in strats among other guitars. It's the heavier of the two and sounds more bright.

Basswood has a more "sweet" tone so to speak. It's got more mids than alder (or most other guitars for that matter) so it's more fit for solo-genres (shred, blues)
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by mitch311

someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't basswood in between mahogany and alder? mahogany being darker toned and alder being brighter tone??
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't basswood in between mahogany and alder? mahogany being darker toned and alder being brighter tone??

Exactly its basically like a mix of the two.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Nope,I meant in general.In my experiences with both woods the Basswood bodies seem to dent and ding easier.Not sure if it's an actual fact,more of an observation.

Yep,it is lighter than a sample of Mahogany or Alder of the same size in my experiences.If you think an RG is heavy then you should try a Warlock or LP,those things weigh a ton,or god forbid you throw a razorback around your shoulders .

No I just meant its alot heavier than the alder jacksons ive played at the shop
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by SomebodySomeone

That's what everyone says it is. But my RG is brighter than my strat, and my SG is the darkest of the bunch, you can even hear it acoustically
Quote by Lethal Dosage

No I just meant its alot heavier than the alder jacksons ive played at the shop

It depends on a lot of things,like body size,density and quality of the two woods,and so on,but in general basswood is the lighter of the two.IIRC,RG bodies have more wood than say a Jackson Dinky body,which might be why it feels heavier.I have an Ibanez Radius that's ridiculously light,and it's a basswood model.

Quote by Pr0gNut
It depends on a lot of things,like body size,density and quality of the two woods,and so on,but in general basswood is the lighter of the two.IIRC,RG bodies have more wood than say a Jackson Dinky body,which might be why it feels heavier.I have an Ibanez Radius that's ridiculously light,and it's a basswood model.

That makes sense cant believe i didnt think of that at first
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
That makes sense cant believe i didnt think of that at first

Yeah,damn variables hahah.

A good example is an SG compared to an LP.Both are made of mahogany but one is pretty light and the other could crush a toddler.Body size,hardware,neck variables,and so on have a lot to do with a guitars weight.If you took two equal sized samples of Basswood and Alder and weighed them I can almost guarantee that the Alder will weigh more.

Basswood is not lighter than Alder, I was annoyed at how light one of my friends Strats was compared to my strat ripoff.
Isnt basswood really transparent tone wise? I think i read somewhere that the tone from a basswood guitar can change dramatically with just a pickup swap.
I dont know it its true or not though??