Yea, it's a long read but if anyone wants to help...

I just finished talking to my girlfriend and I think she has depression. She was telling me how in the last couple of weeks she has been feeling like she wants to disappear and wants to make everyone disappear. She told me that she didn't mentiened it to me because she thought she could handle it but today she wanted to stay alone at home, relax and just think (normally she has a million things to do so she doesn't have too much time for herself) but her parents made her go to a family reunion and she kinda exploted and called me feeling really frustated and kinda crying. I've been with her only 3 months so I dont know her too well yet but she told me that this (the feeling of wanting to disappear) happens to her at least 3 or 4 times a year and it lasts for weeks.
She has been to a couple of psychologists for years and she didn't liked it at all, to the point that she lies on the tests that they give at our college to see if we need a psychologist so that she doesn't have to go.

What can I do to help her? I've never felt that way so I don't know how to really help her. Im trying to convince her to actually tell the truth on the tests because if they assign her a psychologist is because she probably needs one and it's going to do some good to her.

Also, I think it might just be pressure (although she has told me it's not) because we're in summer vacation right now and she goes to the gym 3 times a week from 8-10 am, then goes to english class everyday from10:30-12 and then to history class everyday from 3-7 pm plus the time we're together or talking on the phone. So she has no time for herself, and she has told me she's the kind of person that likes to be alone from time to time.

I also told her to start doing some kind of sport, play an instrument or something that would help her clear her mind from everything she does. I'm planning on teaching her to surf when our history classes are over.

Has anyone here felt like this before? How did you get better? Any advice?

Summary: I think my girlfriend has depression. What can I do to help her?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
I think you should encourage her to tell her doctor about all this, they can refer her to the help she needs. Be there for her and be ready to talk, and don't take everything she says to heart. Sometimes she will act and say things that she doesn't mean. Hang in there man, I hope everything goes well with you two.
I have mild depression and I have no idea what to do either really. I just put on a movie or eat a sandwich or something to pass the time until I get over it.

Eating probably isn't the best idea, but I usually eat healthy stuff anyway, like bananas or apples, or a salad or something. I don't gorge on cake or anything, haha.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
**** seeing a psychologist, they just make you feel more crazy. Whenever i get depressed i try to not be sober as much as possible and play lotsa guitar. Sex is also good curing depression, i swear that's true. i don't have any proof, but come on! we all know it is. But for realz, just be there to listen and be as supportive as you can, she'll get over it...
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
Tell her to stop being such a killjoy or you're off.

Lifes much worse in the real world,
bloody kids should stop whinging and be thankful they dont have to work as hard as everyone else.
Quote by blues-guitarist
Yea, it's a long read but if anyone wants to help...

highschoolproblemsboohoo

Summary: I think my girlfriend has depression. What can I do to help her?

Kill Yourself.

Or dump her.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Is there anything specific that happens in her life that causes her to feel this way? If there is a trigger for it, it might be good to see if there's any way around what's actually causing her depression.

Ways to deal with her depression while she has it include having her do things that she enjoys (I don't know if she has any hobbies, but creative outlets like music, drawing, writing, etc. are often helpful) and just talking to her about how she's feeling should help.

The fact that she opened up to you like this seems to say that she is comfortable enough with you to talk to you when she's feeling down, meaning that you might be a very valuable support line in her life. It can be really helpful for somebody to have somebody else to confide in when they need it.

If her depression keeps coming back, she might need to see a therapist. Certain forms of depression are well-documented psychological issues that might need medication.

Hope that helps!
Anti Deppressants work for some people although my friend said that all they did for him was remove emotion all together. Whenever i feel down (granted not depressed) i listen to music, stuff thats kinda beautiful like Saxon Shore or Sigur Ros although sometimes just singing to something thats energetic is fun.

Summery: I dunno.
Quote by DeadlySIN

bloody kids should stop whinging and be thankful they dont have to work as hard as everyone else.

couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote by kingurth
Is there anything specific that happens in her life that causes her to feel this way? If there is a trigger for it, it might be good to see if there's any way around what's actually causing her depression.
Not that I know of, although Im still getting to know her.

Quote by kingurth
Ways to deal with her depression while she has it include having her do things that she enjoys (I don't know if she has any hobbies, but creative outlets like music, drawing, writing, etc. are often helpful) and just talking to her about how she's feeling should help.

She doesn't have any outlets, she used to write poetry but stopped because people said it was too depresive (which gives me a sign that this has been a problem for her for a while). Also she has no time for other things and her dad presures her a lot to be "productive", in other words, she only has time to go to the gym, english class and history class.
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
well lately i have had a stage of deppression sorta thing
none of my freinds know and i still have no idea why i'm sharing it with a guitar forum but anyway
to some up what helps me; drugs, sex, and rock n' roll (and i'm being serious)
also wag a few classes for some time alone who will find out?
Quote by DeadlySIN

She comes from a low middle class family in a third world country so her life is not that easy. You probably come from an English middle class...
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Feb 9, 2009,