The head is not in my possession yet, but I want to get a pedal for it. I won't be able to hear it unfortunately. I want to have the best metal overdrive I can get from a pedal... I looked into a metal muff, but the 2 people on craiglist are not answering my email, so I thought I'd check over possibilities. The only others I can think of are a TS9 or TS808 or a metal zone...

What do you say? Something about that kind of budget... I'll be buying used. I don't want it to be more than like... 150$ if there's something I absolutely MUST get.

Thanks!

Oh, and the cab will probably be a Framus 2x12 with V30s..

Thanks!
mt-2 is aight.. probly better for the cash though
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
mt-2 is aight.. probly better for the cash though

MT-2 is crap.

The Blackstar HT Dual pedals are amazing. My brother has one and it's brilliant, best pedal for metal, end of. It's quite pricey, but you will not get better for the money.

I see you suggested tubescreamers. They work for a boost, but they won't give you a high gain sound all on their own. Try looking into the Ibanez SM7. I have one and it's really good for the money. Not in the same league as the Blackstar stuff, but it's the best you'll get for how much it is.

So yeah, definitely look at the HT Dual. Stay away from Boss if you can.
ppl just dont kno how to use mt-2.. its good for screaming solos, for deep power chords and barre chords not so much.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
ppl just dont kno how to use mt-2.. its good for screaming solos, for deep power chords and barre chords not so much.

My friend bought one. I played with it for an hour and could not get a good sound out of it.

It's fizzy, trebly, no bass or mids at all. It sounds like box full of bees. Please TS, do NOT get one. They are a waste of money.
Alright, I will not. Though the harmony central reviews don't bash it... Then again, most harmony central reviews are pretty optimistic. As if the only people that post there are ones that like the stuff they're posting about.

What about a Tonebone plexitube or classic distortion? Though it's expensive... the Blackstar is *too* expensive

Edit: options:

Tonebone classic/plexitone
Boss DS2
fulltone fulldrive 2
Anything boss pretty much
Tubescreamers

Will add more as I find some
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 9, 2009,
I haven't tried either of those pedals, so I can't really comment.

But I have to ask, if you want a metal sound why are buying the Blackstar? Couldn't you just save a bit and get a used 5150 combo or something and eliminate the need for a pedal altogether?
No I live in Israel, and the best price/value I could find is the blackstar. There are no used 5150 and a new 6505 is about 2500$ just to give you a clue. The blackstar was about 400$ which was more or less the UK price. I thought about a Krank rev jr but those are nowhere to be found... I'm waiting for an opportunity to get a better head (though I think the bs is awsome) which is why I did not get the bs cab, instead I got the framus dragon one.

Also, I won't be playing more hardcore stuff until a few months from now, would there be anything else I need for slayer/metallica/panthera stuff? Like an EQ, or something.
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 9, 2009,
Try out the Ibanez Tubescreamer.

I saw a youtube video where the guy was using one with the same amp, and got some really nice tones.
Well, like I (think I) said I don't play anything hardcore... yet. Slayer/Metallica/Panthera is what I want right now. Will the amp do all those on its own? Don't I need ANYTHING to supplement it with? I don't have active pickups if that matters anything.
You can easily get some of the "less heavy" Metallica tones... Enter Sandman and such tones are achievable... But for the Slayer and Pantera Stuff you would probably need a distortion box... This amp gets pretty heavy when EQ'd properly, but it doesnt really get heavy enough to nail Dimebag or Kerry King style tones...
Quote by huevos
I think the HT-5 achieves a pretty decent metal tone on it's own.
But if you really need a boost, then I'd for for a tubescreamer

Agreed.
Ibanez Tubescream or if you are tight on monkey pick up a Digitech bad monkey.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
My goal for this amp if i get it are

Digitech Bad monkey (Already have)
Danelectro fish n chips EQ (ordered)

Maybe a metal muff for the top boost.
Can't find any bad monkeys :X

Is a TS808 worth 120$?

Should I get an EQ as well?
Quote by bluebadumtable
MT-2 is crap.

The Blackstar HT Dual pedals are amazing. My brother has one and it's brilliant, best pedal for metal, end of. It's quite pricey, but you will not get better for the money.

I see you suggested tubescreamers. They work for a boost, but they won't give you a high gain sound all on their own. Try looking into the Ibanez SM7. I have one and it's really good for the money. Not in the same league as the Blackstar stuff, but it's the best you'll get for how much it is.

Don't bother getting this pedal, the HT-5 is the 'amp version' of this pedal!!!
Quote by bluebadumtable
MT-2 is crap.

You're kidding right? They sound muddy as hell.