Hey guys ive been playing guitar a year now and i want to pick up bass.

i want to try set my guitar up to play bass for a start to see if i like it thoo.

any pointers about using an eletric guitar as a bass, like tuning etc.

i dont have any effects pedals or anything so please dont confuse me with those
Tom Morello

Arm The Homeless!

Just get a bass. There's no way you're going to rig a 6-string instrument to take 4 thicker strings.

Tuning is EADG, same as the top four strings of a guitar, just two octaves lower.
-Rudy

Quote by blackthought
Sometimes it's best to prepare for the worst possible eventuality... sex with Bill Murray.
Quote by DukeDeRox
I'm as shallow as a dry lake bed.
I thought it was just one octave lower?

EDIT: Checked with TuxGuitar, and it's one octave lower.
Last edited by Ninjamonkey767 at Feb 9, 2009,
Not quite that simple. The Scale of a guitar neck is different from a bass, pick-ups in a guitar aren't designed to pick up that low of a frequency, You can't tune your guitar strings that low and still have them playable and if you attempted to put bass strings on a guitar I'm not sure what would happen to your bridge but I can tell you it won't be good.

I'm not sure quite what you expected to hear. Not to sound like a Jackass but its like trying to turn a Cello into a Stratocaster.

Now for the good news, You could get a pitch shifter pedal and drop the pitch of your electric guitar signal to make it sound like a bass.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 Cab
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Yamaha Pacifica
Yamaha Audioslave? (SH-14 and Striped)
Boss DD-3
Original Crybaby Wah
EVH MXR Phase 90
Ibanez RG32A
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
I thought it was just one octave lower?

EDIT: Checked with TuxGuitar, and it's one octave lower.

Do you realize how loose your guitar strings would be if you dropped them 1 complete octave?!? It would be like playing yarn.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 Cab
Peavey Wolfgang Special
Yamaha Pacifica
Yamaha Audioslave? (SH-14 and Striped)
Boss DD-3
Original Crybaby Wah
EVH MXR Phase 90
Ibanez RG32A
Before I got my first bass(like the day before, couldn't wait) i took off the e G and A strings before I realized you can't make a guitar into a bass without a lot of issues...
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Quote by crimzin
Do you realize how loose your guitar strings would be if you dropped them 1 complete octave?!? It would be like playing yarn.

Yeah, you can't.
Buy a cheap one + amp.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
In theory you'd need to replace the bridge, the nut, the strings, and the tuning pegs.
In practice, you'd want to switch the pickups out as well.

If you want to see whether you like it, go into a guitar shop and ask to try one. That would be more informative than carving up your guitar.
cheers guys, im guna go wif da easy option nd buy a bass by nxt month
Tom Morello

Arm The Homeless!