Anyone have any first hand experience with Gretsch guitars? I'm toying with the idea of buying a Falcon, but I need to drive all the way to Toronto to even try it. The guitar stores around me don't supply Gretsch.

I checked the reviews, it really wasn't that much help.
Gretsch Electromatic - 2008 Series.
Seagull Coastline S6 - Spruce Top.
Some nylon that was given to me. IT SHREDS HARD, DUDE.
What do you play?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I really like Southern Rock. I really dislike heavy metal.
The electric I had for awhile was awful, so I tried to keep to songs on my acoustic, which meant I kept to folk-type stuff (John Butler Trio, City and Colour, etc.)
i own a sparkle jet and they are really great, recommend gretsch to everyone
Haha, not into the sparkle jet series.
I don't care all that much about how the guitar looks, but I draw the line at sparkles.
Gretch are great guitars. Good QC, they play well, never heard a bad thing about them.

Where are you in Ont? There're Gretch Dealers in Barrie, Northbay, London, Ottawa, Kingston, and more.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I'm in Niagara.
Pretty sure I have to go to Toronto, or maybe the Long and Mcquade in Burlington. Either way I have to drive an hour.

Also I forgot to mention that month is a bit on an issue. I can only spend $1000 on the guitar and the amp (sold my old one).
Yeah, Steve's or Long & McQuaid is your best bet.

Have a look at the Sparrow Primitive too, big bang for your buck there. http://www.sparrowguitars.com/primitive
Petey D

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Man, they're awesome guitars. Versatile as hell, too. My personal favorite by them is actually the White Falcon, that big ole' white and gold model, or the Black Falcon, but honestly: I'd settle for an electromatic... that's really all anyone needs. I'm not too keen on their solid bodies, though.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
my friend's parents bought him a white falcon last christmas

and tbf i hated it

but i guess thats just cos i'm a metallica fan
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Quote by Thomme
Man, they're awesome guitars. Versatile as hell, too. My personal favorite by them is actually the White Falcon, that big ole' white and gold model, or the Black Falcon, but honestly: I'd settle for an electromatic... that's really all anyone needs. I'm not too keen on their solid bodies, though.

Versatile? Sorry, what do you mean? They sound awful with distortion, how could they possibly be versatile?
Quote by DEATHPANDA
Versatile? Sorry, what do you mean? They sound awful with distortion, how could they possibly be versatile?

fail
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Gretches are great for southern rock because of its' twang in nearly every model. I am no expert but this is a little analogy.

Gretch is to fender as Epiphone is to Gibson, the companies owned by the biggies make good semi-hollow bodies, the big companies make the good solid bodies.
^^ Fender owns Gretsch?
Petey D

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by manhangi
Gretches are great for southern rock because of its' twang in nearly every model. I am no expert but this is a little analogy.

Gretch is to fender as Epiphone is to Gibson, the companies owned by the biggies make good semi-hollow bodies, the big companies make the good solid bodies.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Gretsch is to Fender as Epiphone is to Gibson" as Gibson uses Epiphone to sell lower end models of their own guitars, where as though, when Fender buys a property, they generally keep all the original models. I can count original Epiphones still in production on one hand, where are though Gretsch is still Gretsch.

I think a fairer analogy would be:
well, I don't think there is one. That's the cool thing about FMIC, they don't choke their subsidiaries to death like Gibson does. Electar and Kramer are two that come to mind...
^^ Jackson too....
Petey D

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
How are you gonna Buy a falcon with $1,000 ??????? Grestch are wonderful guitars i use to own a country gentleman
Quote by Petey D
^^ Jackson too....

wait... gibson owns jackson?
gretsh make great guitars but there really overpriced imo
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Thomme
wait... gibson owns jackson?

no fender owns jackson
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Made Strat with hot rails
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII
Orange PPC212 OB
Tanglewood TW1000SR/FPP
TC Electronics Polytune
Line 6 DL4
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss Ch-1
Quote by Reaper2502
no fender owns jackson

woah, that's news to me. I know the own SWR, Tacoma and Charvel, but Jackson's news. That's crazy.
Quote by VicVanity
How are you gonna Buy a falcon with $1,000 ??????? Grestch are wonderful guitars i use to own a country gentleman

Idk,
I saw a Falcon retailed for $1,000, but I guess it must be used.
I'm liking the idea of a Gretsch 5120. They seem affordable and not that much of a step down from a Falcon.
Wait, wait, wait. You're saying no to a genuine White Falcon for $1,000? No. You don't do that. Go get that Falcon, if you don't like it you ca easily sell it for more money.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I had a buddy who own an electromatic double jet he named it scarlett. It had a really nice crunchy sound to it, the only problem i could see with it was the neck joint is pretty huge
PG > YWM

oh, btw... is it bad if your pee is red?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in scotland they call carbonated drinks 'juice' so you would say a can of juice for example. But they call poop jobbies, so their take on things doesn't count.
dude..if you're coming to toronto..go to the 12th Fret..and try a bunch o chunks...inc. gretch.

gl
Quote by SubtleScream
Idk,
I'm liking the idea of a Gretsch 5120. They seem affordable and not that much of a step down from a Falcon.

Yeah, 5120's are awesome. So are Tennessee Roses, and those are cheaper than 5120's.

I still don't see how you'll get a real real Gretsch for only $1000 though. Gretsch's are pretty expensive.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by DEATHPANDA

Shhhh.... Don't tell Malcolm Young
Quote by DEATHPANDA

obviously you have either never played a gretsch, or never played a gretsch into a good amp. good quality distortion comes from a good quality amp, not the guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by SubtleScream
Idk,

Buy the falcon for $1,000 the price is incredible , the cheapest i have seen them for is roughly around $3,400 USD and my God they play like a dream .
Quote by DEATHPANDA

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. A distorted semihollow or hollowbody picking up it's signal acoustically and feeding back while someone is still playing is one of my favourite sounds.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by DEATHPANDA

Yeah, they're versatile. You can get awesome rockibilty, country, pop, rock, punk, jazz tones out of them. Those Filtertron pickups are awesome and distort great, or get amazing jangle depending on which model of pickup, guitar, amp and pedals you're using. Running a Gretsch Electromatic to nicely distorted Marshall can yeild some AWESOME distorted tones.
Alright, the Long and Mcquade in Burlington has a huge sale on Friday. Going to go try out a 5120 then.

Thanks for the help. Now that I think about it, I doubt that was a genuine Gretsch Falcon I saw for $1000... maybe it was "3 easy payments" of that.
Quote by DEATHPANDA

The name Malcolm Young comes to mind in responce to this
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I wish Guitar Center was a little more detailed when it comes to their guitar comparisons. I'm really in a bind between the Electromatic and the G5120 Electromatic.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Product/CompareItems.aspx?prevurl=%2fCategory%2fDefault.aspx%3fc%3d3255%26c%3d3375%26c%3d4200%26pgno%3d4%26ipp%3d15%26urx%3d1