been playing year and a half now and thats in lessons so technique and stuf is fairly good definately not perfect but thats what practice is for. All the minor and major scales are learned and memorized and some sweep picking but it seems im stuck in a rut or something one does every aspiring guitarist hit a wall like this and two how do you get over it and into creating and developing your own music and sense of style in that?
Everyone gets times when they feel like they're not getting anywhere - or even feel like they are going backwards. You just have to work through it. Might be worth trying something new - like if you always play metal try playing (and listening to) a bit of blues or jazz. If you want to create your own stuff I guess the first step is improvising. And make sure you're enjoying it

Other than that - join a band or go to a workshop type thing, so you get to play with other people.
thanks yah ill have to do try find some stuff to do with other musicians lil hard in small town tho kinda frustrating when u just wanna play
If you can't get enough people together to form a band or find one that needs a guitarist, might be worth seeing if your town has a jazz band/big band you could join - even if its not the music you'd normally listen to or play its fun just playing with other people, and you learn loads.
yeah thats very true. My teach was big into jazz but with zack wylde type flare which has given me alot of nice lil extras in my own music persoanlly i like the not so hardcore metal like avenged or atreyu and its nice to have a good teacher its just im not sure what that missing link is in my playing any tips on ways to play through that on your own till u can find a band?
I dunno, I haven't been playing guitar long enough to get there yet, but I've hit walls on other instruments. Just try something different I guess - do you improvise much? Can you play by ear? Do you know much theory? If not, might be worth giving that a go. Or just go see a guitarist or band you have a lot of respect for live - that should give you some inspiration And listen to lots of different stuff if you don't already - especially if you want to write your own music.

If you feel like you're not progressing its a good idea to record yourself too - then listen to it in a couple of months time, and you'll realise you've progressed more than you think.

Have you told you're teacher you feel like you've hit a wall? They should be able to come up with some suggestions. Oh, and have fun
Put the radio on and tell yourself you're going to figure out how to play the next song that comes along, no matter what it is. Don't cheat and put on a classic rock station either...put a chart station on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Have you tried explaining your problem to your teacher?

What you're experiencing is called a plateau and we all hit them, but as a teacher I know its very frustrating to try work such a problem out with a student who doesn't communicate the issue to you. In any case, he will have some insight into what you should do to expand your playing a little bit.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
For the love of god, add some commas or periods.
I hit a plateau a while ago. Why? Because all I was doing was playing metal. I was a metal elitist, and it really restricted me musically. I almost quit, but then I started listening to other musical styles, and it really inspired me to make better use of my guitar.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Listen to new music, of any genre you can. Even stuff that doesn't use guitar. Go on a music binge.
New to the forum...hello all.
I've hit many walls in my XX years of playing and have always jumped to the next level by seeing some amazing cat up close. Whether it be at a show or on video...I pick up the axe and try to emulate a lick or a vamping progression and presto, I'm into a realm that was previously unconsidered.
Quote by soapwarrior
been playing year and a half now and thats in lessons so technique and stuf is fairly good definately not perfect but thats what practice is for. All the minor and major scales are learned and memorized and some sweep picking but it seems im stuck in a rut or something one does every aspiring guitarist hit a wall like this and two how do you get over it and into creating and developing your own music and sense of style in that?

When you put style before substance you'll have neither.

Don't worry about your style, it will emerge. The important thing I'd say for you at this point is to learn how to learn and how you can always put the process of practicing to work in your favor. The process is very simple: do the right thing and do enough of it. Yet, it seems like: a) very few actually do this, b) rely on other wishful fantasies that only add to the confusion, frustration and "ruts" in progress.

Take a look at everything you've memorized or think you know. Isn't there anything you could know or learn about them more? I'm sure there is. Take the next step. Learn it. Then follow the next step. One always leads to another. At some point you're following so many steps and the relationships between things are becoming so apparent, you'll wonder how you could ever have thought you'd be stuck with lack of things to do.
Quote by edg
When you put style before substance you'll have neither.

Don't worry about your style, it will emerge. The important thing I'd say for you at this point is to learn how to learn and how you can always put the process of practicing to work in your favor. The process is very simple: do the right thing and do enough of it. Yet, it seems like: a) very few actually do this, b) rely on other wishful fantasies that only add to the confusion, frustration and "ruts" in progress.

Take a look at everything you've memorized or think you know. Isn't there anything you could know or learn about them more? I'm sure there is. Take the next step. Learn it. Then follow the next step. One always leads to another. At some point you're following so many steps and the relationships between things are becoming so apparent, you'll wonder how you could ever have thought you'd be stuck with lack of things to do.

Oh i definately agree with this take on it. There is always another step, and more practicing no one will ever be perfect at it no matter how much practice. I do need to ask my teach about what that next step is. My issue i guess has just been finding that next area to work on to progress because frustration is starting to set in but I definately think you right.
Quote by soapwarrior
Oh i definately agree with this take on it. There is always another step, and more practicing no one will ever be perfect at it no matter how much practice. I do need to ask my teach about what that next step is. My issue i guess has just been finding that next area to work on to progress because frustration is starting to set in but I definately think you right.

Asking your teacher would be best.

As far as next steps go, I think everyone always knows what they are but kind of resist them and/or don't quite ever let them rise to a conscious decision to act on them. But, a good teacher will set that example if they recognize how they got where they are.